OR OR - Astoria, Asian/NtvFem 16-30, UP8489, jaw deformity, peace symbol belt buckle, Nov'99

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
NamUs UP Case 8489

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8489

Unidentified Unsure female
* Found November 3, 1999 in Astoria, OR
* Estimated Year of Death: 1998 to 1999
Estimated postmortem interval:1 Years

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age:
Adult Pre 40
* Approximate Height: 62
* Distinguishing Characteristics:
preauricular sulcus observed anterior and inferior to the auricular surface. This may indicate association with childbirth.

* Dentals: Dental information /charting is available and entered

* Clothing/Jewelry:
Degraded Levi 501 jeans, size 33 x 34, medium sized "Xileration" brand belt, black leather with a silver "peace" symbol buckle; ribbed socks.

* DNA:
Sample submitted - Tests complete

Case History:
On November 3, 1999, mushroom pickers discovered partial skeletal remains of a deceased female off Highway 26 near milepost 29 on McGregor Road. The remains had been exposed to the elements for at least a year, and extensive animal scavenging had occurred.

Xhiliration is a house brand at Target, FWIW. With estimated height at 5'2" and an inseam of 34", I am guessing this was a person wearing thrift shop clothing. Pretty much impossible to have that inseam at that height. Logically, pants were probably rolled up to fit, but just pointing out some most likely aspects.

I hope they are checking First Nations missing persons from Canada, as well.

I was a teen in that era- that kind of belt was super trendy. I also know during that time the fishing boats were booming in Astoria- this UID might have been a transient working girl...

Possibly Leona Kinsey http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kinsey_leona.html? Timing is very tight as she went missing from La Grande, OR on 25 October 1999 (compared to the estimated one year postmortem interval for this UID). She is biracial (Caucasian/Native American) and was 45 at the time of her disappearance. Her height is right, weight is also 110 pounds, and a daughter is mentioned in her Charley Project profile. No mention of a jaw deformity.

Possibly Leona Kinsey http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kinsey_leona.html? Timing is very tight as she went missing from La Grande, OR on 25 October 1999 (compared to the estimated one year postmortem interval for this UID). She is biracial (Caucasian/Native American) and was 45 at the time of her disappearance. Her height is right, weight is also 110 pounds, and a daughter is mentioned in her Charley Project profile. No mention of a jaw deformity.

Driving 5 1/2 hours and going through a major metropolitan area might be a bit much to hide a body, Esp. Considering just how vast and empty the area where she disappeared from truly is. It also appears that the UID's nose was a lot thicker than Leona's nose. But it always could be.

I wonder what was deformed on the jaw, I saw it looked like the chin part in the first artistic rendering, but the second one doesn't show anything that I would consider to be noticeable enough to put in a missing persons report.

Driving 5 1/2 hours and going through a major metropolitan area might be a bit much to hide a body, Esp. Considering just how vast and empty the area where she disappeared from truly is. It also appears that the UID's nose was a lot thicker than Leona's nose. But it always could be.

I wonder what was deformed on the jaw, I saw it looked like the chin part in the first artistic rendering, but the second one doesn't show anything that I would consider to be noticeable enough to put in a missing persons report.

Yes, it's estimated that one third of Union County, OR is forested. The jaw deformity isn't really elaborated on anywhere, I'm wondering how severe it was too.

6 missing person exclusions:
MP33540
Barbara Sterbinsky
11/15/1990
King
WA
MP19911
Karen Harmon
05/29/1982
Washington
OR
MP1352
Sarah Norfleet
06/20/1993
Davis
UT
MP1626
Julie Seay
12/26/1988
Volusia
FL
MP8744
Anna Mallari
12/01/1988
El Paso
TX
MP918
Elizabeth Campbell
04/25/1988
Coryell
TX

Date of Discovery: November 3, 1999
Location of Discovery: Clatsop County, Oregon
Estimated Date of Death: At least one year prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Estimated Age: 16-30 years old A forensic dental report indicates that she may have been between 16 and 21.
Race:
Unknown. Native American or Asian.
Sex: Female
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 105-115 lbs.
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She may have been slender. She had a deformity of her jaw that would have been noticeable all her life. She may have given birth in the past.

A search of the area by members of the Clatsop County Major Crime Team, with the assistance of the Clatsop County Search and Rescue Unit, located the remains, including the skull and lower jaw with all teeth present, over a wide area.

The decedent likely lived outside of the Clatsop County area.

Dentals and DNA available.

What happened to the jaw deformity in this sketch? Do they have doubts now and they think it would have shown less explicit during life?
Thumbnail

Last edited:
I'm confused. Oregon is Indian country, there are many tribes originating there, but on the poster-results (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children) there are NO missing Native American youngster listed. How come?

Xhiliration is a house brand at Target, FWIW. With estimated height at 5'2" and an inseam of 34", I am guessing this was a person wearing thrift shop clothing. Pretty much impossible to have that inseam at that height. Logically, pants were probably rolled up to fit, but just pointing out some most likely aspects.

I hope they are checking First Nations missing persons from Canada, as well.
Yup! I have a 31 inch inseam at 5’2” and my legs look disproportionately long. Maybe she got them from the thrift shop or she got them longer so she could cuff them for stylistic purposes?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back