Found Deceased CA - Stephon Jones, 26, Lake Oroville, 5 February 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Stephon Jones
missing-man1-JPG.jpg

Rescuers search for missing man near Lake Oroville

Lake Oroville, California -
Members of the Butte County Search and Rescue Team will head out Wednesday morning to look for a man who has been missing for five days.

Deputies said 26-year-old Stephon Jones was visiting friends on Red Tape Road near Lake Oroville Friday, February 5. He was last seen around 2 p.m. when he went for a hike with a dog to the lake. The dog later returned without a leash and without Jones.

Deputies said only Jones' water bottle and soda were found on the trail he had walked.

http://m.krcrtv.com/rescuers-search-for-missing-man-near-lake-oroville/37918470

Thank you Los, as always for posting. Stephon's story was on the local news tonight but no mention of the dog returning.

My husband knows the roads in Oroville/area well and he said the Red Tape area is "shady" (his words). I asked if this area in particular is known for pot grows and he said yes (although it is not grow season).

I have no reason to suspect anything drug-related, but it is just Something that just HAS to be considered when people go missing in this area.

Weather has been very moderate lately, not too cold at night and not much rain of very recent so I am not seeing weather as a factor here. I'm thinking either he is injured or foul play :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Press Release from Butte County Sheriff's Office - searching today for Stephon in and around the Lake Oroville Area

Oroville CA- On February 9, 2016, Butte County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a missing hiker that left from a residence on Red Tape Road in the Cherokee area of Butte County. The subject left the residence on February 5, 2016 with intentions of hiking to Lake Oroville which is an approximately 1 ½ hour hike. The subject left on the hike with a dog. When the dog returned to the residence and the hiker did not, friends of the missing hiker became worried and began searching for him. After several days of not being able to locate him, the sheriff’s office was contacted. Search and Rescue units were called to the area and are actively searching for the missing hiker.

http://www.buttecounty.net/sheriffcoroner/newscenter.aspx

(lake levels are still at historic lows, but have come up recently)

BSCO is posting on their Facebook page search updates/pics - using CARDA K9s and boats

https://www.facebook.com/bcsonews/

Read elsewhere they found his water bottle and soda can along the trail, but not confirmed in MSM.

Dog returned without a collar.

Missing hiker’s cellphone video points search teams to Lake Oroville
The video, which Honea said was self-recorded, appears to show Jones walking down a trail, heading to the water and commenting about how he is reconnecting with nature.

The delay in notification didn’t go unnoticed by the Sheriff’s Office. As search crews were mustered, detectives responded as well, questioning those staying at the home on Red Tape Road.

Honea said search teams have found no evidence that Jones was a victim of criminal activity,

http://www.chicoer.com/general-news...ne-video-points-search-teams-to-lake-oroville

Foul play involving the "friends", or everyone was so high, they didn't notice him missing and he himself drowned while swimming high. Those are my guesses. I hope he is ok though.

Foul play involving the "friends", or everyone was so high, they didn't notice him missing and he himself drowned while swimming high. Those are my guesses. I hope he is ok though.

Exactly my thoughts.

In my opinion, criminal activity might not have caused Stephon to disappear, but I have a sneaking suspicion it DID factor into how long it took his friends to report him missing to his sister. She was the one to report him missing - not his 'friends.'

They probably weren't too excited about LE sneaking around their property.

Sigh😢I don't see this ending well. I second the swimming while inebriated.

this also makes a lot of sense.

In my opinion, criminal activity might not have caused Stephon to disappear, but I have a sneaking suspicion it DID factor into how long it took his friends to report him missing to his sister. She was the one to report him missing - not his 'friends.'

They probably weren't too excited about LE sneaking around their property.

Wow. Interesting. I am not surprised the others there are 'not talking.' They have other interests to protect, IMO.

Authorities found video of him hiking down to or near the water from his cell phone, if I recall correctly. So how does that jive with others possibly knowing more than they let on or having 'inconsistent statements.'

We recently had another young man disappear on Lake Oroville, although circumstances were different. They were able to find his body using sonar about two weeks later. I think it was a different area of the lake so maybe the area where Stephon was near is deeper?

I wish LE would make a statement regarding whether or not they believe foul play to be involved. Clearly, pot is being grown at the property he was last seen. Did Stephon owe anyone money? That is a long list of people who could turn on each other of foul play was involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back