UK UK - Baldock, Herts, WhtFem, 17-25, hit by car on A1, Afghan coat, Feb'75

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ld-cases-from-the-Missing-Persons-Bureau.html
The Girl in the Afghan Coat

A GIRL wearing a brown Afghan coat was found by the side of the A1 near Hertfordshire in 1975 after being struck by a lorry.

04_08022330_26c611_2678174a.jpg
In 2010 her DNA profile was used by the University of Dundee to create a 3D image of what she may have looked like.

A couple from Bedfordshire recognised her as Odile Ludic, a French girl who stayed with them in the early Seventies.

Detectives learned she was probably from northern Paris, but the case went cold and no relatives have been found to verify her identity.

05_08022330_58cf97_2678175a.jpg

They thought this case was very close to being solved in 2010, but she has yet to be positively identified.imo.

http://www.thecomet.net/news/police_closer_to_identifying_woman_killed_near_stotfold_1_652558
The woman, who is believed to have been aged between 23 and 25 years, was hit by a vehicle on the A1(M), just south of the access road from the A507 at Radwell in the early hours of February 18, 1975.

She was not wearing shoes, was not carrying a handbag or any form of identification and was wearing a big Afghan coat. There was some question of whether drivers had mistaken her for an animal because of the furry coat.

Despite the motorway being closed a number of times so a search could be carried out, no handbag or shoes were ever found. It was surmised at the time that she had possibly left a vehicle in a hurry because her feet indicated she had not walked barefoot very far.

The vehicle that struck her was never traced. It is not known whether the driver would have been aware they had hit her – or whether they thought they had collided with an animal.
Since then, a man from Christchurch in Dorset contacted the Beds & Herts major crime unit’s cold case review unit.

He told detectives he recognised the facial reconstruction of the Lady in the Afghan Coat and that she had been wearing the coat when he first came across her hitch-hiking in the Stotfold area in the early 1970s.

At the time, hitch-hiking was a very common means of getting around. The young woman told him her name was Odile Ludic and she was either from north Paris or north of Paris.

She was studying English at a language school in Cambridge and needed accommodation so was offered a room at his family home.

She only stayed with the family for around six months but spoke often about her mother and sister, though never mentioned her father. She had friends in the Newquay area of Cornwall and would often hitch-hike to visit them. She also had a job at a packaging company on the Henlow Trading Estate.

Odile had a boyfriend, who has since passed away, and would spend evenings drinking with him in a social club in Stotfold that has since been demolished.

She liked to drink cider and was said to be a big Gary Glitter fan. When she moved out of the family home, Odile went to stay in Cambridge.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-34737343
England's unclaimed dead and the people trying to give them a name
By Laurence Cawley BBC News

25 January 2016

Hertfordshire Police are continuing to investigate the case of a young woman who suffered horrific injuries on the A1 in February 1975.

Wearing no shoes, she was hitch-hiking for a lift into London and spoke to both a lorry driver and a milkman, taking a yogurt from the rear of the latter's float.

She wore an Afghan-style coat and spoke with a "foreign accent".

A short while later the woman, aged between 23 and 25 and about 5ft 4in tall (1.62m), was run over by a number of vehicles.

Her name, though the spelling is uncertain, was Odile Ludic.

The cold case unit focused in on Ms Ludic and found that she drank locally in Stotfold and had worked for a local company.

They also learned she was most likely from northern Paris. But then the trail went cold. A man believed to have been her former boyfriend is now dead.

"So far it (the suggested name) hasn't really taken us anywhere," admits Mick Flavin, from the force's cold case unit.

"But we do still hope to solve this case."

This must have been bugging the police, they have got quite a lot of info to go on really.

I found her missingpersons page http://missingpersons.police.uk/en/case/06-023864

She was wearing a LOT of clothes - jeans, 2 blouses, a dress and a waistcoat under her Aghan coat and scarf. It also mentioned age 4-5 year tights (this can't be right, she was 5'4"!)

Thanks for the link!
Very strange that she wore all those clothes and yet apparently no shoes , unless- horrible thought- they got stuck in the undercarriage of one of the vehicles that hit her, poor girl. imo.
From the link..
06-023864

Gender Female
Age Range 17 to 25
Ethnicity White European
Height (cm) 162cm to 163cm
Build Thin
Date found 18 / 02 / 1975
Estimated Death
Body or remains Body
Circumstances

Struck by vehicles on the A1 near Baldock, at 0615 hours. Last seen by witness at 0530 hours, she stated she was heading for London. Had a foreign accent.
Hair Fair - Shoulder length
Facial hair
Eye colour Hazel
Distinguishing features

Mark - wart - Right abdomen

Mark - wart - Left - Upper leg

Scar - unspecified - Right leg

Pierced - unspecified - Right ear
Clothing

Overcoat - Three quarter - Brown - Afghan

Waistcoat - Leather - Brown

Shirt/blouse - Blouse - Blue - And white cotton by chelsea girl

Shirt/blouse - Blouse - White - Floral - Smock cotton immitation lace and floral on neck and shoulders.

Trousers - Jeans - Black - French make "prisu"

Dress - Mini - Denim levi make with label "reserved seat" on right hip pocket.

Scarf - Chiffon lace scarf as wrap.

Hose - Tights - Prova - british homes stores make 4-5yrs

I layer up like that - she wasn't wearing a ridiculous amount, especially For the uk! I'm currently wearing pantyhose, jeans, and 2 sweaters. This case is certainly odd. The uk doesn't have many UID cases

I layer up like that - she wasn't wearing a ridiculous amount, especially For the uk! I'm currently wearing pantyhose, jeans, and 2 sweaters. This case is certainly odd. The uk doesn't have many UID cases

542 unidentifieds on that site, many of those are from decades ago when DNA testing didn't exist. Fortunately these days the majority get ID'd fairly swiftly.

She was wearing a LOT of clothes - jeans, 2 blouses, a dress and a waistcoat under her Aghan coat and scarf. It also mentioned age 4-5 year tights (this can't be right, she was 5'4"!)

But she was found on 18th February. I'd expect her to be wearing multiple layers of clothes in what can be the coldest month of the year.

I'm more surprised that I've seen no mention of a rucksack with personal stuff such as spare clothing, hairbrush, toothbrush and suchlike with or near the body. And if she was a foreigner, where is her passport?

Come to think of it, if no shoes or handbag/rucksack was found then perhaps she had escaped from a vehicle, leaving her belongings behind.

Come to think of it, if no shoes or handbag/rucksack was found then perhaps she had escaped from a vehicle, leaving her belongings behind.

I think this is a likely suggestion. IMO she was in a vehicle, something went south and she bailed without her shoes and belongings, then was trying to walk to safety when she was killed. If she had been intending to travel some distance when she set off, she may have been wearing so many layers not only for warmth, but because it was easier to carry them that way.

The multiple layers in February are not that unusual IMHO. However the lack of shoes and handbag/rucksack etc. are puzzling, I'm wondering if she was hitchiking and kicked off her shoes in a vehicle to sleep, then for whatever reason, had to make a hasty exit without retrieving her personal things.
EDIT: It seems we are thinking along the same lines!!

It's probably worth mentioning, for the benefit of US readers, that the A1 is the old Great North Road which was the main road from London to Edinburgh and has traditionally carried a lot of freight traffic. It also carries quite a lot of military traffic due to various army and RAF bases close by, especially along the Yorkshire stretch, and the Otterburn Ranges close to the Scottish border.

It has been eclipsed to some extent by the M1 which runs from London to Leeds which now carries some of the freight traffic, but the A1 is still a major artery and parts of it run through farmland and areas that are fairly sparsely populated. Although the A1 does have some service areas, it also has a number of substantial laybys where traffic can pull off and where a hitchhiker could be in danger, inside or outside a vehicle.

I think this is a likely suggestion. IMO she was in a vehicle, something went south and she bailed without her shoes and belongings, then was trying to walk to safety when she was killed.

Or perhaps walked too far into the road to try to flag down the lorry that killed her. She couldn't have walked far in bare feet in February. At 6.15am in mid-February it would not even have started to get light for another hour or more so she was walking on an unlit road in the dark.

Also looking at the road on Google camera, you can see how isolated it is even today only a mile or so outside of Baldock, which is near where she was killed.

If she had been intending to travel some distance when she set off, she may have been wearing so many layers not only for warmth, but because it was easier to carry them that way.

And also because it would have been extremely cold in the early morning, especially if she expected to be standing around for a while trying to hitch a lift.

I'm wondering if she was hitchiking and kicked off her shoes in a vehicle to sleep,

I've never hitchhiked, but is this likely? Would you take off your shoes in an environment where the possibility of having to make a sudden exit should be at the back of someone's mind? And is a lorry cab somewhere you would be expected to take off your shoes anyway? I really think if that if a driver suggested it I'd immediately be on my guard.

When I try to access her page on the UK Missing Persons Unit it gives me a 404. Is that just me?

Edit - guess it was a temporary thing, I can access it again now. Got my hopes up for a second, I've wanted to see her positively identified for so long.

Fwiw..rbbm.
Afghan coat - Wikipedia
"Modern Afghan coats originate from Ghazni province, situated between Kabul and Kandahar. The coats were made from sheepskins that were fully cured and tanned, colourful and finely embroidered with silk thread. They were first imported to the UK in 1966 by Craig Sams, who sold them through hippie boutiques including Granny Takes a Trip on London's King's Road. The Beatles visited the shop and emerged wearing the coats. Photographs of them in Afghan coats appeared in print media. They also wore them, inside out, for the cover picture of the Magical Mystery Tour LP. Demand took off and the artisanal makers of Ghazni could not keep up. Crude imitations from Iran and Turkey flooded the market. These coarsely embroidered and poorly cured imitations gave the 'Afghan Coat' its undeserved reputation for smelliness. John Lennon's coat is now in the Julian Lennon Collection.[2]

Imitations of the original design continued to be very popular in the 1970s and 1980s particularly associated with the hippie subculture."

July 1 2010
Detectives hoping to Wake the Dead in real life with appeal over four cold case deaths | Daily Mail Online
The Lady in the Afghan Coat
article-0-0A47A78A000005DC-240_306x423.jpg

Accent: Among the mysteries of the Woman in the Afghan Coat was that she spoke with an accent, but had an NHS filling

In the early hours of February 18, 1975, at around 5.35am, a lorry pulled into a layby on the A1(M), north of the Stotfold/Baldock turn-off. The male lorry driver said a young woman knocked on his cab door.

He sent her away but a milkman later spoke to her. She told him her name was Ann and she wanted a lift to London.

She asked him if she could have something off his vehicle – with what appeared to be a slightly foreign accent. He gave the woman a yoghurt and said she pronounced the word strangely – ‘yog-hurt’, phonetically.

The milkman offered her a lift and told her he was going to Astwick. She got in the vehicle but then changed her mind and said she wanted to go to London. She got out the vehicle on the A1.

Later, motorists reported seeing her in the carriageway with some cars forced to swerve to miss her. At some point, she was in collision with a vehicle and was found in the slow lane of the highway, just south of the A507.

The woman was a wearing a large Afghan coat, but had no shoes on and was not carrying a handbag or any form of identification. There were suggestions some drivers had mistaken her for an animal because of the furry coat.

No handbag or shoes were ever found nearby. Police believed at the time time that she might have left a vehicle in a hurry because her feet indicated she had not walked very far barefoot.

The vehicle that struck her was never traced.

The woman is believed to be aged between 23 and 25 years. She stood just five feet, four inches tall with a slim, boyish figure.

article-0-0A47A7F9000005DC-854_634x386.jpg

The detectives running the case, led by Det Sean O'Neil, with dummies of the four unknown deceased people

At the post mortem, the pathologist found the woman had an NHS filling in her teeth and had two distinctive warts/moles on her upper left thigh and pelvic area, and a scar on her right leg, just below the knee.

'We know this lady must have spent a reasonable amount of time in the UK because of the NHS filling,' Det O'Neil said. 'I’m sure her family, wherever they may be, must be constantly wondering and worrying about what might have happened to her.'

Last edited:
I can't access the link posted above, so here a refreshed link for this girl. UK Missing Persons Unit

Just some random thoughts.
It's possible the girl recognized by this lovely couple is this Jane Doe. Maybe she was using a fake name (she wasn't very open to them about her background) or she wasn't originally from France.

IMO the Odile Ludic angle is a bit odd. With all the publicity in the beginning and after reopening the case and your name was Odile Ludic wouldn't you come forward? If not, why not? IMO LE would have found the family by now if the name was real and she was from France, or at least some genealogical traces. It's also possible she and her family were not from France at all but were living there under the radar.

I find it strange that after all this years nobody "claimed" her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back