College students. Infuriating.

animlzrule

Reaction score
Texas A&M Investigates Report Of Slurs Yelled At Black High School Students

"I am outraged and tremendously disappointed in the behavior displayed by a group of students," says Texas A&M University President Michael Young, after a group of students from an inner-city high school were called racial slurs and told, "Go back where you came from."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...of-slurs-yelled-at-black-high-school-students

This is so disgusting and sad. This degree of ignorance and hate being displayed at an institution of higher learning makes it seem even more insidious than usual. What is the matter with people???? Also makes me wonder about the admissions criteria at A&M. Not that smart people can't be racist, but usually they're smart enough to recognize when they can fly their flag, so to speak. SMH.

"University officials who were with the Dallas high school students reported the confrontation and called police, who filed their own report — although, West notes, "A campus officer initially said the A&M students were expressing their First Amendment rights.""

That is NOT what the First Amendment is intended for omfg I'm SO SICK of that being used as a pass for hate speech and slurs. At a COLLEGE they should be well educated on what our Constitutional rights afford us.

Spoiler Alert: It's to protect us from an oppressive government, NOT so people can be dillholes to each other.

Lots of people with a boatload of education are racist a-holes.

Some of them even run for POTUS.

Lots of people are racists, both educated and not. And, like it or not, the first amendment does allow for slurs and hate speech. That's not giving people a pass on their views, it is just recognizing that they are allowed to have and express those views. That same right to free speech allows the rest of us to speak up against the racists. Not allowing people to express their views, no matter how reprehensible they may be, is the perfect example of an oppressive government.

The answer to hate speech is always more speech, not less.

"University officials who were with the Dallas high school students reported the confrontation and called police, who filed their own report — although, West notes, "A campus officer initially said the A&M students were expressing their First Amendment rights.""

That is NOT what the First Amendment is intended for omfg I'm SO SICK of that being used as a pass for hate speech and slurs. At a COLLEGE they should be well educated on what our Constitutional rights afford us.

Spoiler Alert: It's to protect us from an oppressive government, NOT so people can be dillholes to each other.

The day we allow people to be arrested for what they say (unless of course it's a direct, credible threat of violence or other excluded speech), we have problems bigger than a few rednecks at a university.

Also I have to point out (and as a rabid anti-Aggie:), it pains me to say this ), a couple of bigots do not in any way represent the entire student population of a university.

The day we allow people to be arrested for what they say (unless of course it's a direct, credible threat of violence or other excluded speech), we have problems bigger than a few rednecks at a university.

Also I have to point out (and as a rabid anti-Aggie:), it pains me to say this ), a couple of bigots do not in any way represent the entire student population of a university.

I agree. But I don't think anyone's suggesting that they should be arrested. Notwithstanding, institutions have the right to discipline their members, and as they voluntarily chose to be a part of A&M, they should be subject to the same rules as all members, in the same way that an employee at McDonalds can be disciplined for telling people to go to Burger King.

My daughter and a friend just toured the campus on Saturday. They were invited by some girls to see their dorms and were treated so nicely. ( both are white suburban girls) I hope it was only a few individuals who were part of this racist group. It's unbelievable that in this day and age young people are hanging onto old prejudices and ignorance.

There are many, many limitations to free speech. Racial harassment of students or potential students to a public university is not a right worthy of protecting, and should not be protected.

The students responsible should be expelled.

Like racial slurs meant to intimidate and harass?

I don't know how I feel about this. It shouldn't be against the law to use a word. The first amendment wasn't written to protect people saying agreeable and polite things, it was meant to protect people who in other countries would be arrested for saying such things that make people angry/afraid/uncomfortable.

The way this was first reported was so outrageous as to defy belief, and in fact, has proven not true, that students spotted a group of Black visitors and began chanting the N word at them.

Sorry, I'm fresh from that stupid story in San Antonio of students claiming the ref used racial slurs that insulted both Black players AND hispanic players, and so they attacked him on the field and it's lucky they didn't kill him or in the very least break his neck. All for nothing, over words that weren't actually said.

Maybe those expressing their opinions believe them. I think they have a right to their beliefs. They did not incite to burn anything down, kill anyone like other groups have done, and apparently it was just words. Sticks and stones and all that.

I think it's about time EVERYONE grew up, sucked it in and quit playing the victim. There will always be differences of opinion, likes and dislikes, and no one is going to change that. Let the college do what it will, if that is their right. There are other colleges for students who feel differently about things.

:cow:

Maybe those expressing their opinions believe them. I think they have a right to their beliefs. They did not incite to burn anything down, kill anyone like other groups have done, and apparently it was just words. Sticks and stones and all that.

I think it's about time EVERYONE grew up, sucked it in and quit playing the victim. There will always be differences of opinion, likes and dislikes, and no one is going to change that. Let the college do what it will, if that is their right. There are other colleges for students who feel differently about things.

Yes. And if you don't know Aggie culture, you wouldn't know that "go back to where you came from" is the typical reaction to anyone professing loyalty to University of Texas on the A&M campus. It's a friendly/not so friendly rivalry. If you have longhorn spirit wear on the A&M campus, expect to be told to go back where you came from. Highway 6 runs both ways, and all that.

It is not a reference to go back to your country we don't want your kind here. It's a football thing.

And it remains to be seen whether the N word was shouted or not.

The way this was first reported was so outrageous as to defy belief, and in fact, has proven not true, that students spotted a group of Black visitors and began chanting the N word at them.

Where has that been proven not true?

Where has that been proven not true?

The first articles referenced a mixed gender group of students chanting the N word. Later articles cleared that up, and stated there was a confrontation and the N word might have been thrown down as the crowds dispersed.

I guess "proven" is the wrong word to use, we'll have to see what the administration has to say about this. Articles written in Dallas, surprisingly, make it a little clearer that this was a horrible misunderstanding gone wrong, not a group of mixed gender students in broad daylight chanting racial slurs.

Sometimes, when something seems unbelievable, it's because it isn't true.

If there were a report of a pick up truck full of drunk guys who shouted the N word at a Black man walking down the street after midnight, sadly, I'd have to completely believe it. But no, groups of young college men and women at A&M don't walk up to a group of Black students touring the campus and chant the N word at them. Despite what media wishes we would believe (and buy).

Some of this I agree with -- I think that everyone has a right to their beliefs, no matter how ignorant, stupid, or hateful they are.

But when uttered, written, yelled -- or just made public, words aren't just beliefs. They are consequential acts and events.

I also agree with your statement permitting the university (and it is a university that has done a lot of good) to do what it will (and I will confirm that it is their right): should the university decide to expel these students, so be it. They will have to find someplace else that will accept them --- as you put it, other colleges for students who feel differently about things. Mind you, I would be very surprised to learn that any of them, if expelled, were allowed to matriculate into (or stay) in a university as good as A&M.

As for your point about "playing the victim", I have to take issue. To me, when I read that, I always have to question whether someone or some group is "playing" a victim, or if they have been, in fact, victimized. If the facts of this story hold, I would submit that these visiting high school students were actually victimized.

Some of this I agree with -- I think that everyone has a right to their beliefs, no matter how ignorant, stupid, or hateful they are.

But when uttered, written, yelled -- or just made public, words aren't just beliefs. They are consequential acts and events.

I also agree with your statement permitting the university (and it is a university that has done a lot of good) to do what it will (and I will confirm that it is their right): should the university decide to expel these students, so be it. They will have to find someplace else that will accept them --- as you put it, other colleges for students who feel differently about things. Mind you, I would be very surprised to learn that any of them, if expelled, were allowed to matriculate into (or stay) in a university as good as A&M.

As for your point about "playing the victim", I have to take issue. To me, when I read that, I always have to question whether someone or some group is "playing" a victim, or if they have been, in fact, victimized. If the facts of this story hold, I would submit that these visiting high school students were actually victimized.

The first amendment ISN'T about freedom of belief. God help us if the US decided you couldn't have freedom of belief, which actually, it seems the direction we're heading.

The first amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America is about freedom to express those beliefs publicly. The first amendment ( and it is first, because it's the most important right) guarantees us the freedom to express those beliefs publicly either in spoken or written form. By the constitution of the United States, you can yell the N word out loud publicly if you so choose, although others can choose to shun you for that behavior.

But that's not what was done here. What was done here, is celebrating a football rivalry and that went horribly awry because of misunderstandings.

The first amendment ISN'T about freedom of belief. God help us if the US decided you couldn't have freedom of belief, which actually, it seems the direction we're heading.

The first amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America is about freedom to express those beliefs publicly. The first amendment ( and it is first, because it's the most important right) guarantees us the freedom to express those beliefs publicly either in spoken or written form. By the constitution of the United States, you can yell the N word out loud publicly if you so choose, although others can choose to shun you for that behavior.

But that's not what was done here. What was done here, is celebrating a football rivalry and that went horribly awry because of misunderstandings.

A football rivalry? What? Between some high school visitors and some students?

Ok, I will suggest that you read the thread, and perhaps you need to brush up on the limitations of first amendment rights.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I'll make this as simple as I can.

When people join voluntary groups that have, as part of their membership rules, things that limit the rights of their members, the members of those groups are bound to the rules and the consequences thereof. And so, a member of such a group does surrender some of their rights in some situations, because they are no longer considered public events, per se.

I think it is telling that you're trying to champion the right of all Americans to be able to yell the "N word out loud publicly", but I have to say that you are totally incorrect if you think that it means you can just fire off racial slurs in all places and situations as if it were a right. You are so sorely mistaken.

Do you think that someone would have grounds for a legal challenge if they faced consequences after they chose to, as you so put it, chose to yell the N word out in any of the following situations:

1) as a judge at any level
2) as a McDonalds employee
3) as a public school teacher, on or off grounds
4) as an admitting nurse in a public or private hospital
5) in a daycare
6) as a student in any public or private school
7) as the POTUS
8) as a bus driver
9) do you get it yet?

Not every event that happens outside of one's home -- where, perhaps, it's commonplace to hear the 'N' word -- is considered a situation in which a participant is protected by the First Amendment in any absolute sense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back