812 users online (121 members and 691 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    los2188's Avatar
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    From Alaska, but living in Arizona
    Posts
    15,549

    MS - Officer Shot in Head While Investigating Armed Robbery at Convenience Store

    Authorities with the Clarksdale Police Department and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation have released a video of two robbery suspects who may be connected to the shooting of Clarksdale Police Officer Derrick Couch.



    The larger man in the video has a noticeable limp that may make him identifiable, TFC Joey Miller said.

    https://www.facebook.com/wreg3/videos/1241279195900784/

    http://wreg.com/2016/02/14/footage-r...icer-shooting/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

    "When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,230
    This is so sad. Just the other day two policemen were killed in Maryland. There seems to be no fear of consequences any more.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by ohreally View Post
    This is so sad. Just the other day two policemen were killed in Maryland. There seems to be no fear of consequences any more.
    No. These shootings have always happened, they're just getting more coverage now. JMO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    No. These shootings have always happened, they're just getting more coverage now. JMO
    It is too soon for the statistics but I believe there has been a surge in cop killings recently.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,729
    Imagine going to work and having to worry about never seeing your loved ones again.
    Just my .02, I get angry at people who put down law enforcement-- yet they expect them to keep the streets safe for everyone alike. Smdh.
    Some people like to eat a prime rib... but they don't want to help with the animal being processed. Some people like to wear designer clothing-- but don't want to hear about who sews the items, nor what their working conditions are.

    Sorry for ranting; it seems more and more to me that our safety at home and when out working/shopping comes at a very high price. Some policemen get hardened by the nature of their jobs , to where they can't 'turn it off' when they go home ; I'd read a while back that domestic abuse is a problem for some in law enforcement because of that.

    Those who murder cops should receive an automatic death penalty.

    Couldn't find out how Officer Couch is doing, but hoping he survives . My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
    IMO

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    It is too soon for the statistics but I believe there has been a surge in cop killings recently.
    Let me know when/if you find some articles and links to support your claim.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,166
    Looks like eight officers killed by gunfire so far this year. https://www.odmp.org/search/year
    No statistics that I can find on how many have been shot and lived. Nor how many have been assaulted in other ways.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by LietKynes View Post
    Imagine going to work and having to worry about never seeing your loved ones again.
    Just my .02, I get angry at people who put down law enforcement-- yet they expect them to keep the streets safe for everyone alike. Smdh.
    Some people like to eat a prime rib... but they don't want to help with the animal being processed. Some people like to wear designer clothing-- but don't want to hear about who sews the items, nor what their working conditions are.

    Sorry for ranting; it seems more and more to me that our safety at home and when out working/shopping comes at a very high price. Some policemen get hardened by the nature of their jobs , to where they can't 'turn it off' when they go home ; I'd read a while back that domestic abuse is a problem for some in law enforcement because of that.

    Those who murder cops should receive an automatic death penalty.

    Couldn't find out how Officer Couch is doing, but hoping he survives . My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
    IMO
    Unfortunately I disagree with everything you have said except the well wishes for the officer. There is NO organization in America that tramples on an individual's rights more thoroughly or frequently than the police department. True officers put their lives on the line daily, however the were not drafted. They volunteered to put themselves and their family in this situation. You insinuate their job has hardened them and some have brought that home to their spouses. I submit that a large majority have become officers because of the power they can wield. In other words, they are predispositioned to domestic violence.

    I say every officer that uses his position to rape women and/or kill unarmed citizens should be put to death.

    The police rarely prevent crime, they just take reports and try to find the perps. True this prevents some crime by taking a criminal off the street but they don't prevent the original crime.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    Let me know when/if you find some articles and links to support your claim.
    RSBM

    I found this :

    https://www.odmp.org/search/year


    http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-...unfire-n517436

    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...unfire-n517436
    "People are hunting us. How do you think that sits with us?" Case County, North Dakota, Sheriff Paul Laney said at a news conference Thursday. "But yet we wear this badge with honor and pride and we're going to go out every day and protect our communities."

    Fwiw; the remarks by Sheriff Laney were chilling ,to me. Why would people think law enforcement are the enemy ?
    That's sad and shouldn't be happening --what's spurring the notion that cops are to be 'hunted' ?
    MOO

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by TooCurious View Post
    Unfortunately I disagree with everything you have said except the well wishes for the officer. There is NO organization in America that tramples on an individual's rights more thoroughly or frequently than the police department. True officers put their lives on the line daily, however the were not drafted. They volunteered to put themselves and their family in this situation. You insinuate their job has hardened them and some have brought that home to their spouses. I submit that a large majority have become officers because of the power they can wield. In other words, they are predispositioned to domestic violence.

    I say every officer that uses his position to rape women and/or kill unarmed citizens should be put to death.

    The police rarely prevent crime, they just take reports and try to find the perps. True this prevents some crime by taking a criminal off the street but they don't prevent the original crime.
    RSBM

    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If we all agreed... it'd be a boring world.

    Hope my comment didn't suggest corrupted police should be let off the hook -- not in the slightest.

    I've not had any of my rights trampled or infringed upon by law enforcement , ever. I realize for some this has not been the case. Maybe it's just luck ?

    I submit that a large majority have become officers because of the power they can wield. In other words, they are predispositioned to domestic violence.
    That's another way of looking at it.
    My thinking has evolved on different topics; but will still stand by my post -- even if it may be a bit one-sided.
    I still welcome other viewpoints.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by LietKynes View Post
    RSBM

    I found this :

    https://www.odmp.org/search/year


    http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-...unfire-n517436

    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...unfire-n517436
    "People are hunting us. How do you think that sits with us?" Case County, North Dakota, Sheriff Paul Laney said at a news conference Thursday. "But yet we wear this badge with honor and pride and we're going to go out every day and protect our communities."

    Fwiw; the remarks by Sheriff Laney were chilling ,to me. Why would people think law enforcement are the enemy ?
    That's sad and shouldn't be happening --what's spurring the notion that cops are to be 'hunted' ?
    MOO
    So 2015 had the second lowest number of gunfire deaths of officers in the past 15 years, if you're just going to look at shootings in terms of violence against officers.

    I think that two weeks into February might be too early to call on whether this is a "statistical blip" or whether 5 is going to be the monthly average for 2016.

    Edit: 2015 is also the second lowest of all deaths combined in the past 15 years. I don't have the time right now to go through and split it as best I can into accidental/health related and likely intentional but it looks a little like media pot stirring....
    I guess you would need non-death assaults etc added on for a real view.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by asac View Post
    .....it looks a little like media pot stirring....
    .
    SABBM Snipped for brevity

    What ?? The always-'truthful', fully 'objective' media stirring up trouble ?? Surely not !! ( *lol in a sarcastic manner* )
    Sorry to say I'm becoming less trusting of the press ; which is why I come here to WS for some reasonable discussion -- regardless of which side we might be on.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    16,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    Let me know when/if you find some articles and links to support your claim.
    There's this:
    Fewer police officers were slain in the line of duty this year than in 2014, even as the overall number of police officers who died on duty rose slightly, a new report found.
    ...

    A total of 52 officers were slain in 2015, a decrease of about 15 percent. A total of 42 officers died in firearm related incidents, a 14 percent decrease from 2014.

    But the data shows 2015 was one of the safest for law enforcement in the last 65 years.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...duty-this-year

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    16,640
    Quote Originally Posted by LietKynes View Post
    RSBM

    I found this :

    https://www.odmp.org/search/year


    http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-...unfire-n517436

    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...unfire-n517436
    "People are hunting us. How do you think that sits with us?" Case County, North Dakota, Sheriff Paul Laney said at a news conference Thursday. "But yet we wear this badge with honor and pride and we're going to go out every day and protect our communities."

    Fwiw; the remarks by Sheriff Laney were chilling ,to me. Why would people think law enforcement are the enemy ?
    That's sad and shouldn't be happening --what's spurring the notion that cops are to be 'hunted' ?
    MOO
    Possibly because they think of us as the enemy.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    No. These shootings have always happened, they're just getting more coverage now. JMO
    My spouse thinks as you do - more news coverage of what's always occurred. I feel like it's a surge in police killings. It'll take a few years to discover which is right. It's definitely true we have more news and more immediate news nowadays.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. MO - Angel Hooper, 6, shot to death at KC convenience store, 17 Oct 2014
    By zwiebel in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-08-2017, 10:28 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2016, 09:54 PM
  3. MO - Good Samaritan shot 5 times at KC convenience store
    By Reader in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM

Tags for this Thread