TX - Surgery Patient Wakes Up To Missing Belly Button

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Houston, Texas -
A Houston woman was forced to ask her doctor an unimaginable question -- where's my belly button?

"I went in with the a belly button and I'd like to know what you did with it? What happened to it? Did you throw it in the trash? Where is it?" Lori Jones asked.

The 45-year-old Jones says she finally saved up enough money to get rid of her 'baby pooch' after having C-sections. She wanted to "bring sexy back" and wear a two-piece bathing suit.

"Yasss, summertime is coming," she said.

So she did her research and had several consultations before she decided to go under the knife. Houston plastic surgeon Dr. Younan Nowzardan performed an umbilical hernia removal and tummy tuck surgery in December 2015.

http://abc13.com/news/surgery-patie...39/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

First world problems, IMHO.

"We did tell her before and she had a previous surgery and she had a scar and there's no way you can save that area. I told her that before surgery and after surgery," Dr. Nowzardan said.

The doctor says he can recreate Jones a belly button after six months of healing.

She says no, she wants to settle it in court. She's already contacted an attorney.

It sounds like it's not about the missing belly button, it's about money. I wonder what the truth is here.

By the time it gets dealt with in court, the 6 months healing time and free replacement belly button offer will have already passed.

I was with her until the end of the article where it says she was offered a free belly button replacement after 6 months had passed, for healing, but she declined and hired an attorney. That makes me feel she is out for money.

I hope the Dr. had her sign something stating she understood what was to occur with the surgery.

Well, sure could be a lot worse right? I do think it is about the money as otherwise the free belly button offer would be fine, after she heals. I'll take the loss of a belly button to look great in a swim suit again. LOL! A bikini...

Maybe the doctor did not explain things to her in a manner that she understood. Or maybe he failed to explain it at all and is just saying he did.

To me, I don't blame her one bit for not taking him up on his "free offer". If the doctor in fact did not tell her about this, why would she want him to perform any further surgery on her, free or not?

Do not think that doctors never lie. Some of them do, believe me. And I have a family member who had the x-rays to prove it.

------------

eta: Read the full article. This could become an interesting case. She says the doctor told her the belly button would be resectioned. Medically, the term resectioned mean cut out.

The patient may well have not understood the meaning of the word. Then the question becomes does a doctor have the obligation to inform patient in a manner that is understandable to the patient?

The reason doctors discuss a proposed surgery with a patient is to obtain "informed consent". My own guess is that a jury would find that using only medical terms not readily or normally understood by a layman does not give the patient sufficient information to give informed consent for a surgery.

Article did not say. But says doc repaired an umbilical hernia. If photo is of her abdomen he did a good job on that. Maybe he's a good surgeon who just used medical terms that patient did not understand.

If you don't know what a term means, ask. I ask doctors a kagillion questions before they even give me Tylenol. You have to be an informed consumer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't know what a term means, ask. I ask doctors a kagillion questions before they even give me Tylenol. You have to be an informed consumer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. If I were on the jury she wouldn't get one penny. Doctor offered her surgery to get the belly button back yet she wants to sue? I guess she doesn't want that belly button all that much. Since she claims doctor told her the belly button will be re-sectioned, then he did tell her belly button will be removed (but apparently she doesn't know what resection is). Plastic surgery is often done in stages. What is she trying to sue for if doctor says he will give her the belly button?

Here is the definition of resection:
Surgery. the excision of all or part of an organ or tissue.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/resection?s=t

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back