IN - Lorraine Kirkley, 34, Valparaiso, 21 July 1999

Authorities said they may have recovered the body of a Valparaiso nurse who died in 1999.

Indiana investigators said have found a bag similar to the one in which Malinski said he put Kirkley's body. The contents of that bag will be sent to a crime lab for identification.

Earlier on Friday, Malinski accompanied authorities to a rural field in Jasper County. A forensic expert from Indianapolis was also on hand, NBC5's Anita Padilla reported. A backhoe and cadaver dogs were also brought in to aid in the search.
http://www.nbc5.com/news/5040626/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2265994&dppid=65195

The July 23, 1999, Post-Tribune told the story:

“Robert Kirkley came home from work and found the lights on, the garage door open and his wife and her sport utility vehicle missing.”

“Porter County police Chief Deputy David Lain is requesting the public’s help in finding Lorraine Kirkley and her emerald green 1994 Ford Explorer with Indiana license number 64B7174.”

The story meant something to David Malinski — enough to bury that day’s edition of the Post-Tribune with his victim’s body.

That was more than six years ago.
http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/news/z1/10-01-05_z1_news_02.html

Forensic experts will gather Monday for a detailed examination of human remains believed to be those of an Indiana woman missing and presumed dead since 1999.
The unearthed human remains, which were wrapped in a tarp, will be examined at the Jasper County Hospital morgue by a team led by Lake County forensic pathologist Dr. John Cavanaugh.
A forensic anthropologist from the University of Indianapolis and an entomologist will also participate in the autopsy, along with Jasper County Coroner Dr. Gordon Klockow.
"The identity hasn't been confirmed, but the preliminary investigation indicates it is Lorraine Kirkley," Klockow told The Times of Munster for a story published Sunday.
Identifying the remains using dental records, photographs and descriptions of clothing Lorraine Kirkley was wearing when she vanished will be the easy part.
More difficult will be determining the cause and manner of death, said Klockow and Porter County Sheriff Department Chief Deputy David Lain.
"It will be problematic," said Lain, unless the cause is obvious.
Klockow said a routine autopsy takes about two hours to complete, but it is difficult to predict how long Monday's examination will take.
Officials said Malinski volunteered the information because he wanted to join a prison church, but he was told he first had to come clean about his crime.
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051002/NEWS01/510020530/-1/RSS

Autopsy finds missing nurse was strangled

RENSSELAER, Ind. (AP) - Officials say a body found on a northern

Indiana farm is that of a Valparaiso woman who vanished in 1999.

An autopsy today determined that 34-year-old Lorraine Kirkley

was strangled -- and that she fought her attacker.

Jasper County Coroner Dr. Gordon Klockow says the body was

identified using dental records.

The body was unearthed Friday after David Malinski, who was

convicted in 2000 of murdering Kirkley, told authorities he buried

her body on property owned at the time by his father.

Malinski and Kirkley had both worked at Porter Memorial Hospital

before she disappeared in July of 1999.

Investigators believe he took Kirkley to his Chesterton home,

where he sexually tortured her and killed her.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

I wonder how they determined that she fought her attacker?

Her family waited a long time to finally find some peace. I'm glad that the killer finally came forward and told LE where he buried her. I wish other killers who sincerely have given their lives to Christ would follow this guy's lead and let LE know where their victims are. It's just to bad that this killer didn't turn his life around before he murdered this lady. Wonder why he was already in prison...another murder? Did they ever say if they found her vehicle?

I am pretty familiar with this case because I lived in the area at the time the crime occurred and it was a big news story.

Malinski had no prior criminal record at all, was a former high school football star with a nice house and a pretty wife. He and Mrs. Kirkley were co-workers, she a registered nurse, and he some sort of exercise therapist. I knew someone who went to their facility for therapy after a heart attack; Malinski was his therapist and he said he was a nice, soft spoken guy.

Apparently Malinski had some fixation on Lorraine Kirkley, he had burglarized her house in the past, and his wife was aware of this. The wife (who was also a nurse, I think) was out of town the weekend Kirkley disappeared, and when she returned she apparently suspected something, because she went to the police and Malinski was questioned and later arrested. I really don't think they ever would have linked him to the crime if his wife hadn't come forward.

His despicable lawyers took advantage of the fact that there was no body found and actually tried to get the jury to believe that Kirkley and Malinski were lovers and that she had run away on her own. Unfortunately for the murdering SOB, he had taken some polaroid pictures during the commission of the crime, and told a jailhouse snitch about them. The pictures apparently made it quite clear that Lorraine Kirkley was indeed dead.

Malinski appealed the case a few years back and his conviction was upheld, so I guess he had nothing to lose at this point. I suppose he deserves a shred of credit for finally coming clean and revealing the location of the body. A very small shred.

Oh, and yes they did find her vehicle burned out in some field in the next county, a few days after she was reported missing. It was nowhere near the area where her body was found. Still can't believe he buried her on his father's property..ironically his father was found dead in a pond there a few years ago, ruled accidental. The property now belongs to Malinski's brother.

I pray her husband and family finally have some closure although I know they never really will.

An autopsy Monday on the remains of a woman missing since 1999 determined she was strangled, officials said.
Officials used dental records to identify the body found on a northern Indiana farm as Lorraine Kirkley, 34, Jasper County Coroner Dr. Gordon Klockow said.

Klockow described the killing as "a nasty homicide."
"I'm very saddened by the brutality that one person can do to another," he said.
Examiners found Kirkley's killer had strangled her with his hands, and there were signs that she had been handcuffed, officials said. She also clearly had fought her attacker.

Examiners found Kirkley's killer had strangled her with his hands, and there were signs that she had been handcuffed, officials said. She also clearly had fought her attacker.
"She suffered a lot of defensive wounds, a lot of contusions," Klockow said during a news conference Monday night at Jasper County Hospital. "It was very obvious there was a struggle."

Examiners determined that the woman was dead before her partially clothed body was buried in plastic bags bound with black duct tape. There were also signs that she had been handcuffed.
Jasper County Sheriff Orville Perry said the woman was buried with a copy of a local newspaper dated July 23, 1999 -- two days after her abduction -- and items bearing her name.
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051004/NEWS01/510040468

A funeral for a woman slain in 1999 will be held Saturday, two weeks after the man who confessed to her killing helped police find her body.
Hundreds of people, including family members, acquaintances and police officers who investigated her murder, are expected to attend services for Lorraine Kirkley at Fulton Baptist Temple Church, 50 miles south of South Bend.
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051010/NEWS01/510100397/1006

Although I got the impression that L.E. is glad to close the books on this one I think they ought to seriously reexamin the father's 'accidental drowning'. And I wonder: Just how 'clean' did the perp come to the L.E. anyway? I mean he had a secret torture room in his house set up? And we are to believe he only used it on one person?

Is more known on this perps past? Was he a budding serial killer or a ripe one with other crimes under his belt that need to be discovered?

docwho3 said:
Although I got the impression that L.E. is glad to close the books on this one I think they ought to seriously reexamin the father's 'accidental drowning'. And I wonder: Just how 'clean' did the perp come to the L.E. anyway? I mean he had a secret torture room in his house set up? And we are to believe he only used it on one person?

Is more known on this perps past? Was he a budding serial killer or a ripe one with other crimes under his belt that need to be discovered?

Excellent questions doc. I thought that it was something he had set up when he planned her kidnapping. But you make a good point.
Are there other missing women in that area?
Is there any printed info on the father's drowning available?

After 6 years, Lorraine Kirkley's body found; funeral is called a homecoming

The detectives never forgot Lorraine Kirkley. They arrested her killer, David Malinski, and watched a jury sentence him to 155 years in prison. But investigators never found the body of the young nurse who disappeared from northern Indiana in 1999. The missing woman with the short red hair, high cheekbones and sweet smile continued to haunt them.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0510160205oct16,1,2248641.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed

About 400 family members and friends of Lorraine Ann (Jones) Kirkley met Saturday afternoon at Fulton Baptist Temple to celebrate Kirkley's life. The sanctuary overflowed with colorful flower arrangements and colorful memories of Kirkley, 34, of Valparaiso, who passed away July 21, 1999.

http://www.pharostribune.com/story.asp?id=8284

Rest in peace Lorie

As I posted earlier, I followed this case pretty closely as it was a local story for me, and I don't remember ever hearing of a "secret torture room"...he had a hidden room in the attic which apparently was filled with *advertiser censored* but there was never any indication that he was suspected in any other crimes involving missing women. But I do suspect if he hadn't been arrested and convicted in this case, there would have been more cases of missing women. He obviously obsessed over Lorraine Kirkley for many months (having burglarized her home several months prior to her killing) but didn't act out his fantasies until his wife was out of town.

Re his father's death, it was three years after his son's conviction, and here is a link to the original story in a local newspaper. In retrospect, it's certainly very odd that the father's body was found in a pond so close to where the remains of Mrs. Kirkley were located, but as far as I know, it's still considered an accidental death. The only other explanation I can think of is suicide, which did cross my mind when I first read the story.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2003/08/13/news/porter_county/cbaef1e10138270b86256d8100080f74.txt

If you do a search on his name, there are also several stories in the archives of this newspaper regarding Malinski's arrest and trial coverage.

BorderGal said:
http://nwitimes.com/articles/2003/08/13/news/porter_county/cbaef1e10138270b86256d8100080f74.txt

In this article it states the following....

The task force had searched the Rensselaer property, one of many areas police looked for Kirkley's body. Larr said Albin Malinski cooperated with police.

however in the article that mysteriew (post #14) posted it stated that his property was never able to be searched because they did not have enough probable cause :confused:

I can not access that article today...it is now asking for a password. But it makes me wonder if they did or did not search that property in the beginning.
I guess it does not really matter now...she is finally home where she belongs.

I thought that was strange too....this more recent article also states they did NOT search the family property because the Malinski family did not give permission to do so and they didn't have the probable cause needed to get a warrant. In fact, now they "don't remember" if they did any infrared searches either.

As the article states, it seems obvious in retrospect, but the property was 17 acres, 70-80 miles from the crime scene, and in a different county. Kirkley's burned out vehicle was found in yet another neighboring county. Plus, investigators really thought she was buried somewhere in the Indiana Dunes due to soil samples found on gloves and a shovel retrieved from his home.

Maybe they thought it was TOO obvious that he would have buried a body on his own family's property. Guess they gave him too much credit and figured he was smarter than that. :doh:

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/10/05/news/porter_county/1681d945fa16b6878625709100082a6c.txt

IndyGal said:
BorderGal said:

In this article it states the following....

The task force had searched the Rensselaer property, one of many areas police looked for Kirkley's body. Larr said Albin Malinski cooperated with police.

however in the article that mysteriew (post #14) posted it stated that his property was never able to be searched because they did not have enough probable cause :confused:

I can not access that article today...it is now asking for a password. But it makes me wonder if they did or did not search that property in the beginning.
I guess it does not really matter now...she is finally home where she belongs.

Anytime you are asked for a password, go to bugmenot.com enter the address of the news webpage that is asking for a user name- click submit and they will give you a user name and password. This works for most news sites.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back