1394 users online (190 members and 1204 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1800
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshizora View Post
    I'm also thinking re: possible planting of evidence.

    Maybe the LE didn't want to be made a fool of again (after the rape case) after they suspected him so they planted the evidence to "ensure" there would be enough for a conviction? (or enough that someone would have some doubts about his innocence) Just a thought.

    I agree that a guilty man would not want more forensic evidence dug up because it would definitely link them. Although SA shouldn't have to worry because he did such a good job getting every piece of hair and rope fibres out of the room.
    I have a similar view. I do think LE planted evidence, but I think they did it with the belief that they had the right man. I don't think LE framed Steven Avery thinking he was innocent. The misconduct, if it did occur, was as you said - to make sure they got a conviction. Make sure it sticks.

    Oh.. and yeah, funny that. That garage is such a clutter of mess, there's no way you get rid of all that blood/hair/fibers in a space like that. Even a professional/technician would be challenged.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    253
    The prosecution is wrong about where Teresa was shot (in the garage). There's no doubt in my mind about that. No evidence in the garage ... likely no crime committed there. JMHO

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    253
    One thing I'd like to bring up - a lot of people who think Steven is guilty talk about a cut on his finger. I mean ... the guy worked in a junk yard, he messed around with cars, towing cars - worked with his hands. I had a BF who was a car mechanic; cuts on his hands all the time, in fact, rarely did he not have some sort of injury on his hands or fingers - be it a cut, bruise, scratch, torn fingernails, etc.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    3,942
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygal View Post
    The prosecution is wrong about where Teresa was shot (in the garage). There's no doubt in my mind about that. No evidence in the garage ... likely no crime committed there. JMHO
    right! and if there is no evidence of her being shot in the garage.... how did a bullet get in there with her DNA?

    The bullet could have been in there.... the test showing it had TH's DNA was contaminated or the bullet was placed in there by LE with TH's DNA, or the bullet was placed in there by LE with no DNA and it got contaminated in the lab.

    No evidence of someone being shot in the garage ..... and then a magic bullet showing up with DNA on it? I mean... it kinda feeds the theory that they planted evidence, doesn't it?

    This isn't even mentioning the fact that the bullet probably should not have exited her skull if it entered according to everything I have read. I am not sure why this was not mentioned or brought up during the trial, on either side. Well, I can see why the prosecution wouldn't bring it up... but the defense?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by missy1974 View Post
    right! and if there is no evidence of her being shot in the garage.... how did a bullet get in there with her DNA?

    The bullet could have been in there.... the test showing it had TH's DNA was contaminated or the bullet was placed in there by LE with TH's DNA, or the bullet was placed in there by LE with no DNA and it got contaminated in the lab.

    No evidence of someone being shot in the garage ..... and then a magic bullet showing up with DNA on it? I mean... it kinda feeds the theory that they planted evidence, doesn't it?

    This isn't even mentioning the fact that the bullet probably should not have exited her skull if it entered according to everything I have read. I am not sure why this was not mentioned or brought up during the trial, on either side. Well, I can see why the prosecution wouldn't bring it up... but the defense?
    What speaks volumes is that the bullet fragment was not found until 3/2/06, the day after BD's "confession". Why was that garage not thoroughly scoured shortly after 11/5/05 ?

    DEFENDANT IS A LIAR + DEFENDANT'S KID GOES MISSING + DEFENDANT REPORTS KID MISSING AFTER 31 DAYS + KID IS FOUND DEAD = DEFENDANT KILLED KID

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    3,942
    so uhmmm sitting here watching CNN, they are discussing the terrorist couple and they mention that they haven't found a hard drive yet.... my husband, who has not watched MaM, but has listened to me for hours talk about it, says "have they tried shaking his dresser". It made me laugh lol

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    509
    I am not sure about posting rules but, here goes as I do not know how to search for previous years of news articles:

    This is an enlightening and mind-blowing (kinda getting use to this when it comes to these cases...what ISN"T mind-blowing,smh) discussion I saw and wanted to share here.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurd...and_attorneys/

    "
    Herald Times Reporter
    June 1, 2006
    Letter to the editor: Legal system is crooked with regards to Avery
    What kind of cockeyed legal hocus-pocus is this?
    On the one hand, a judge rules that a man no longer qualifies for a public defender, due to the fact that he has funds to defend himself.
    Now we have a lawsuit, which is trying to prevent those funds from being used for his defense. The lawsuit is based on the pre-jury-trial supposition that Steve Avery is guilty of murder.
    Supposedly in the American system of jurisprudence, a man is innocent until proven guilty. But Steve Avery's guilt or innocence has yet to be determined in a court of law.
    Such a lawsuit should not even be allowed consideration until after the jury trial has been completed. This is unless of course, everybody's minds are already made up and the jury trial is nothing more than a big show.
    May God help anybody who is ever caught up in a crooked legal system like this. "



  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    266
    Jaiddie - Interesting info but I'm not sure if this is allowed. Generally websites like this are off limits as it's hearsay and I can't find anything more about this other than this post. Can't find the newspaper article nor can I find anywhere that indicates the Halbach's attempted to freeze the funds.

    The only thing I have found is the wrongful death lawsuit papers filed on Feb 15th, 2006.
    http://overthrow.us/wp-content/uploa...h-v.-Avery.pdf

    And papers filed by the Halbach family in regards to changing the venue, which they did not want.
    http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-co...e-of-Venue.pdf

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    266
    Okay so I've done a bit of digging and this was all I could find.

    http://www.postcrescent.com/story/ne...unds/78438630/

    Judge rules against request for control of Avery's funds

    A Manitowoc County Circuit judge said Thursday that although the timing of Steven Avery's transfer of funds to his attorney seems suspicious, Avery did nothing wrong.

    That was Judge Darryl Deets' response to a motion filed by Teresa Halbach's family in an attempt to have a third party control Avery's assets.

    Patrick Coffey of Appleton, representing the Halbach family, contends that Avery illegally transferred all of his assets to his attorney, Dean Strang of Madison. Strang is representing Avery in the criminal and civil matters.

    Coffey asked Deets to place Avery's assets in receivership and to require Strang to request the funds as needed.

    "The timing is suspicious," Deets said in his written ruling, "but it is equally plausible it was based on Avery's receipt of his settlement, his immediate loss of public defender services and his negotiation to obtain competent substitute counsel just before the Halbach suit was filed."

    ...

    Coffey also said Avery illegally transferred the funds because the transfer occurred three days after Avery was sued in civil court. State law prohibits the transfer of funds after being named as a defendant in a civil complaint, according to court records.

    Avery won $400,000 in a wrongful conviction civil suit against Manitowoc County, and was deemed ineligible for public defense and hired Strang, and later Jerome Buting of Brookfield, as his defense counsel.

    ...

    "Other courts recognized payment of attorney fees, for future services, involves fair value and not a fraudulent transfer," Deets said in his ruling.


    So from what I understand, they filed a wrongful death lawsuit against SA, then 3 days later SA transferred his remaining $240,000 to his defense team. They claimed it was fraudulent because of the timing and it is illegal to transfer funds after a lawsuit has been filed so they wanted control, but the judge ruled against it. So I'd say people making the leap/connection and saying "the Halbachs didn't want him to use the funds for his defense" are accurate as they were seeking to take the money used as a retainer away.

    Honestly I'm more shocked at the fact that they filed a civil lawsuit before the trial had started and before they knew the defenses arguments or the totality of the evidence.
    How would he be liable for her death if it hasn't even been to court yet?
    Last edited by hoshizora; 02-20-2016 at 12:18 PM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    3,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiddie View Post
    I am not sure about posting rules but, here goes as I do not know how to search for previous years of news articles:

    This is an enlightening and mind-blowing (kinda getting use to this when it comes to these cases...what ISN"T mind-blowing,smh) discussion I saw and wanted to share here.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurd...and_attorneys/

    "
    Herald Times Reporter
    June 1, 2006
    Letter to the editor: Legal system is crooked with regards to Avery
    What kind of cockeyed legal hocus-pocus is this?
    On the one hand, a judge rules that a man no longer qualifies for a public defender, due to the fact that he has funds to defend himself.
    Now we have a lawsuit, which is trying to prevent those funds from being used for his defense. The lawsuit is based on the pre-jury-trial supposition that Steve Avery is guilty of murder.
    Supposedly in the American system of jurisprudence, a man is innocent until proven guilty. But Steve Avery's guilt or innocence has yet to be determined in a court of law.
    Such a lawsuit should not even be allowed consideration until after the jury trial has been completed. This is unless of course, everybody's minds are already made up and the jury trial is nothing more than a big show.
    May God help anybody who is ever caught up in a crooked legal system like this. "


    All the dates the poster mentions in the post.... coincide with the dates on the Wisconsin Court Case site...

    https://wcca.wicourts.gov/pager.do;j...Direction=DESC

    it starts in Calumet county... than transfers to Manitowoc County.

    Interesting to note... it was before BD's confession.


  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    3,942
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshizora View Post

    So from what I understand, they filed a wrongful death lawsuit against SA, then 3 days later SA transferred his remaining $240,000 to his defense team. They claimed it was fraudulent because of the timing and it is illegal to transfer funds after a lawsuit has been filed so they wanted control, but the judge ruled against it. So I'd say people making the leap/connection and saying "the Halbachs didn't want him to use the funds for his defense" are accurate as they were seeking to take the money used as a retainer away.

    Honestly I'm more shocked at the fact that they filed a civil lawsuit before the trial had started and before they knew the defenses arguments or the totality of the evidence.
    How would he be liable for her death if it hasn't even been to court yet?
    When he got the settlement, he was no longer eligible for a court appointed lawyer, so he retained Stang and then later Buting. If they had been successful in freezing that money... how would he have paid for a lawyer? or would he have been able to get a court appointed lawyer again?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshizora View Post
    Jaiddie - Interesting info but I'm not sure if this is allowed. Generally websites like this are off limits as it's hearsay and I can't find anything more about this other than this post. Can't find the newspaper article nor can I find anywhere that indicates the Halbach's attempted to freeze the funds.

    The only thing I have found is the wrongful death lawsuit papers filed on Feb 15th, 2006.
    http://overthrow.us/wp-content/uploa...h-v.-Avery.pdf

    And papers filed by the Halbach family in regards to changing the venue, which they did not want.
    http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-co...e-of-Venue.pdf
    Thank you. I am a relative newbie when it comes to forums such as this. I know to source my info, but after initially trying to find the article it had stated I only came up with current articles from the news site, so wasn't sure how to go about it other than google lol. :P

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by missy1974 View Post
    When he got the settlement, he was no longer eligible for a court appointed lawyer, so he retained Stang and then later Buting. If they had been successful in freezing that money... how would he have paid for a lawyer? or would he have been able to get a court appointed lawyer again?


    I have no idea, missy. I have never heard of anything like this (again, seems to be the norm with these cases ) where someone files a civil suit before (let alone a YEAR before) the criminal case even starts! Don't see how a judge can even accept a motion such as this when he had not yet been found guilty in a court of law yet. How does that work???

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    3,942
    I've never heard of a civil suit being filed before the criminal case is done. A civil suit doesn't depend on the outcome of the criminal case (look at O.J.). I find it all uhmm odd, the timing. I have to wonder if Kratz knew that SA had Stang/Buting lined up and that is why SA settled so quick? Did Kratz let the family know.... they filed the very next day to freeze the funds. IMO Kratz stepped up his game when Stang/Buting got involved. It was also within a week or so that they started re-interviewing all the family members..... and went after BD 2 weeks later. And then.... the news conference on March 2nd.

    Think of all the high profile cases we've seen.... where the defendant had the money to pay for the best legal counsel ... can you imagine if they had their assets frozen before their criminal trials even started?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    509


    This is information that I had already known, as I'm sure many others are aware of as well, however, I hadn't seen it laid out quite this well before. Some of it is, of course, speculation, but there are a lot of facts laid out as well.

Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. For Those Who Do Not Think Avery was Framed & Evidence Planted - Discuss
    By Madeleine74 in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 685
    Last Post: 11-18-2017, 12:27 PM
  2. The Key: Planted or Not? Impact?
    By ferretnurse in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 09-17-2017, 02:19 PM
  3. LATEST EVIDENCE Discuss NEW AND DEVELOPING information here
    By JBean in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 406
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 01:18 PM
  4. New evidence and items found ; Discuss and UPDATE INFO HERE
    By nursebeeme in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Tags for this Thread