831 users online (134 members and 697 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Any word?
    RIP, Cassini. To her tireless overseers- job well done.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    Yes, Mr. Martinez will be on the show tomorrow night Thursday March 24th.

YEEEHAAA as we say in Utah when we get really excited.

Keep posting your questions.

Remember the show is now pre-recorded.

I will record the interview with Mr. Martinez tomorrow (Thursday) at 9 PM Eastern. At approx 10:30 PM Eastern the show will be posted at http://www.truecrimeradio.com/radio-archives/

Anytime after 10:30 PM Eastern you can listen to the show.

So keep the questions coming please.

Thank you!!!
    Last edited by Tricia; 03-23-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post

I will record the interview with Mr. Martinez tomorrow (Thursday) at 9 PM Eastern. At approx 10:30 PM Eastern the show will be posted at http://www.truecrimeradio.com/radio-archives/

Thank you!!!

Congratulations, Tricia!! What fabulous news! Thank you!!

I'd like to revise the questions I posted earlier, given what JM has already discussed in interviews. Please disregard my earlier questions, will post a few updated questions later tonight.

JA stopped by at CVS in Pasadena on June 3, 2008. During trial, you folded the CVS receipt in half so we couldn't see any details on the receipt.

You stated in your book she purchased 'over the counter medicine and water'. What kind of medicine did she purchase? Our guesses have been -condoms, KY, NoDoz, Benadryl for Naps, to name a few. Are any of our guesses correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post

Thank you!!!

Thanks Tricia.. you rock!! Question for you, will there be any guests on the interview (like you used to have on the show)?

During the guilt phase, one of the rebuttal witnesses you were planning to call was a Fraud Investigator at JP Morgan, Susie Dittman. Why didn't she testify?
    Last edited by pocketaccent; 03-23-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Do you believe JA destroyed Travis' BMW on purpose, for example, just purely out of rage, or in hopes of continuing her contacts with him even after she moved?

Was there any proof Travis was selling the car to JA, other than her words?

Tricia- I’m posting summaries of questions/answers from interviews JM has already done, in case you missed any and would like to know what ground he has already covered in interviews.

Q/A from online Reddit forum

He didn’t get x-ray of finger because didn’t know about it ahead of time; only other money she ever earned other than waitressing was from PPL; no opinion on her appeal chances; no qualms about timing of book; LE attempted to test rental car for blood-none found, well cleaned; only she knows what happened to weapons & journals, etc. ; knows about mean things said about him, isn’t concerned for his safety; trial was so high profile probably because of sex; every case is new to him and he always feels some apprehension; thinks trials are a very fair process; “still surprising to me that anyone would think Snow White was a battered woman (about wow, that testimony!); media coverage didn’t affect the trial because jurors weren’t exposed to it; I like to keep my private life private to keep the focus on my professional life; her post -conviction interviews didn’t surprise him because she always wanted to be the center of attention; he didn’t call Matt McCartney or Bobby for strategic reasons, doesn’t know why DT didn’t; doesn’t know why JA didn’t take the camera- accidental or on purpose, just glad she didn’t; says TA knew she was taking pics in shower because he is looking at her in SOME of them; his book took 5 months to write; Nurmi said you should have brought in pedo letters--no, they were forged, but highly inflammatory, didn’t know how jurors would respond; part of what makes our legal system great is how open it is, including graphic evidence, even if it makes the v’s family uncomfortable; the only thing he thought about when he looked over at JA was how violently she had ended TA’s life.

Did JA have a history of breaking the law as a juvenile?

Quote Originally Posted by pocketaccent View Post
    JA stopped by at CVS in Pasadena on June 3, 2008. During trial, you folded the CVS receipt in half so we couldn't see any details on the receipt.

You stated in your book she purchased 'over the counter medicine and water'. What kind of medicine did she purchase? Our guesses have been -condoms, KY, NoDoz, Benadryl for Naps, to name a few. Are any of our guesses correct?
    You forgot about the Depends!

Tricia: Summary of Vinnie Politan's Legal Insanity podcast with JM:

VP thanks JM, you’re a career prosecutor-what’s your story, why dedicate your career to prosecuting? JM- was a defense atty for 2 years, in civil practice for 3 yrs, was asked to join Maricopa Co. Atty office. Applied to the Maricopa public defender’s office but was rejected because “I wasn’t aggressive enough.”

Did you ever enter plea negotiations with JA? Can’t talk about it. All her pre-trial interviews: “I was happy when she was speaking” before trial (gave JM insight how she’d be on stand and a whole lot to use against her as well). Her turns at pro per only time the exchanged words with her---10 15 words. Not otherwise.

Feb 4. She took stand. First thought? JM- That his strategy would bear fruit---she needed to be on stand to get to 3rd gas can. Waited as long as possible. That confrontation was the only moment in trial when she seemed “a bit down,”it took her a minute, but she came up with an answer (never in SLC). But he had the receipt to prove it. That was the only real “Perry Mason momen”t in his career.

What of her story was new to him? A lot of it, including all the minute detail about sex. His way to handle that- yah, OK, and to tease out from her that she enjoyed it just as much as he did.

VP- what was your day to day like in trial? Such long days—process? Prepared day by day after each day of direct. So much was new. The first alleged sex was new..the paper swirling pedo detail new,

VP- How long do you think it took for her to develop her stories? JM- 2 years after the ninjas she was telling (Dr. Karp) the “real” story. As to the rest…JM thinks she developed “as she went along.”

VP- Most ridiculous thing she said? JM- the pedo stuff…a bit over the top. TA’s so so over-sexed, right, that’s what she wants to relate, and so so into her, and yet….now we’re expected to believe he has pedo tendencie. That story “strained the whole case for her.”

VP- Never seen such a relentless cross as yours….the intensity. Where does that come from? JM- Taught not to be, but it works for me. And asking her open ended questions would mean she’d regurgitate what she said direct. So, quick pace, letting her know word games wouldn’t be tolerated. YES or NO only. Of course, that’s when the “everloving’ fog would roll on in.

The length of her time on stand (for cross) was largely a product of word smith games she played, and her “memory lapses.”

Can you turn it off at end of day? Sure.

JM: Most of everything of importance came out in trial, nothing of any great importance excluded. Only thing JM mentions is what she packed in her get-away car, but he didn’t think that info was relevant to trial.

Did she stalk anyone else? Depends on view of stalking. With Bobby …her behavior a little bit of that. Matt M broke off with her, he stopped having sex with her. TA-tried to stop having sex with her but wasn’t successful. From TA’s perspective—a 30 year old young man, he wasn’t strong enough to say no when she presented herself to him, and no, she didn’t actually crawl through the doogy door, just opened the sliding door that had the doggie flap.

No personal relationship with Nurmi. DT has their job to do, I let them do it and leave them alone.

TA’s family…how much contact with? Lots throughout and after. “Can’t see how anyone can get past this kind of a loss of a loved one.”
    Had an idea the trial was getting bigger, but didn’t pay a lot of attention to it, his whole focus was on his job, doesn’t even think about the jury when he’s in court.

VP- Can you tell us about something happening we didn’t know about during trial? JM- Everyone knew everything. I was surprised about what was out there and how accurate it was. I wondered..how did all this get out?

When trial is over, he’s done. Doesn’t wonder. Shorter career if he did. Can go to bed at night because he’s done what he could. Takes the John Wooten approach.

Writing the book was more difficult than trial, deciding what to put in leave out. Audience for book-anyone can pick it up. Why’s answered for trial watchers, an interesting read (he hopes) for everyone else.

The one thing people might be surprised to know about him? JM: I’m shy. I think.

Will the digital camera pics and all EXIF data ever be released to the public?

Tricia: General: the most frequently asked Q/A’s , from multiple interviews

1. The gas cans. Why the gas can evidence was so important, and his strategy for when and how he revealed it at trial.

2. How he approached his cross of JA on the stand (non-linear, keep her off balance), and whether or not she irritated/frustrated/angered him (no, he enjoyed it when she argued back, etc., because then the jury saw her real self). To get angry is to be emotional, not logic.

3. What he thought about the DT’s strategy: (JM’s chief point is that he believes the DT erred in focusing immediately and too much on sex, because it meant JA was presented almost entirely in that single dimension, not as a whole person the jury might find sympathetic, and because the constant repetition of sex themes and words (texts, etc.) desensitized the jury).

4. Most difficult aspect of handling her on stand? Her changing stories. But that also “presented an opportunity” because so many different stories meant lots of openings to exploit, and she revealed herself as a liar.

5. Was he disappointed in the LWOP verdict? (No. His job was done when he turned the case over to the jury (juries). He believes he did everything he could possibly do (as he does with every case), he believes in the jury system (strongly!), and when the verdict is read, it’s time to move on. No looking back, no second guessing…there’s no point, no purpose served.

6. Why he chooses to go solo on cases. (Gives him complete control over strategy and presentation, allows him to respond to twists and turns at trial with greater agility, since he knows everything there is to know about the case).

May I impose upon one or two kind WSers to do a verbatim (or close to verbatim) transcript of the radio show? Please know that it will be greatly appreciated by those who care about what JM has to say as well as what fellow WSers want to know, but do not have the most dependable internet connection that would allow for uninterrupted listening.

(Potentially making matters worse, we are expecting 11 inches of snow here overnight; ew!)

Tricia- Questions JM has declined to answer.

1. His opinion about Nurmi.

2. Whether or not the State ever considered a plea bargain.

3. What her chances are on appeal.

4. Anything about his private life.

Trial prep—watching videos of 48 hours..how did it shape, and cross. The most conversant person he’d ever heard-she’s calm cool faced with difficult questions, she always had an answ

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast