Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateB

Reaction score
Cheryl DeBoer
635906256609049403-deboer.jpg

Police ask help in finding missing Mountlake Terrace woman
Mountlake Terrace - Mountlake Terrace police are asking for the public's help in locating a missing woman.
Cheryl DeBoer, 54, was supposed to meet a friend at the Mountlake Terrace Park and Ride lot and carpool to work Monday morning. She texted her friend around 7 a.m. saying that she would catch a bus instead; she has not been seen or heard from since. Her vehicle was located parked in the 23400 block of 58th Avenue SW in Mountlake Terrace.
http://www.king5.com/story/news/loc...ing-missing-mountlake-terrace-woman/80068942/

Body found in Mountlake Terrace identified as missing woman
http://www.king5.com/story/news/loc...police-rule-womans-death-suspicious/80417266/
The Snohomish County Medical Examiner on Tuesday announced that they have identified a body found in Mountlake Terrace as 53-year-old Cheryl DeBoer. The cause and manner of death are pending further investigation, the ME's office said. Mountlake Terrace Police had said there is no reason to believe the public is in danger following the discovery of the body.

Medical examiner: Body found is missing Mountlake Terrace woman
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e-police-return-to-site-where-body-was-found/
The family remains cooperative with the investigation, he said, adding DeBoer’s husband took a polygraph test late last week and police have eliminated him as a person of interest.

Celebrating Cheryl DeBoer

Thread #1
Thread #2

Before I continue to search through previous threads....do any of you who started following this case from the start recall reading about a woman approached by a group of men? Maybe someone was referring to another case but I thought something about this happening at the park was posted. I am going to look again but if no one else remembers - I will at least know I'm off base here.

Maybe a security guard from work did this deed and hopped back on the bus?
Familiarity with a friendly victim?

A third thread and tomorrow will mark two weeks since Cheryl disappeared. Not good.

As we enter this thread, I would like to ask all that have joined the sleuthing in the last few days to take the time to go back and try to read the other two threads. A lot of info that has been posted in the last few days was also posted and discussed last week and some of it discounted, some of it expanded. I really think it helps if we are all on the same page with facts, locations, available maps etc. It does seem that once a case reaches the 2-week mark without any fresh leads that a lot of circular and repetitive posting happens which is frustrating to those that took the time to answer questions, investigate, collect info and compose posts only to have the same questions asked and eventually answered again only days later. So, to save your time and the time of others I would like to kindly ask that people become familiar with the case :)

A third thread and tomorrow will mark two weeks since Cheryl disappeared. Not good.

As we enter this thread, I would all that have joined the sleuthing in the last few days to take the time to go back and try to read the other two threads. A lot of info that has been posted in the last few days was also posted and discussed last week and some of it discounted, some of it expanded. I really think it helps if we are all on the same page with facts, locations, available maps etc. It does seem that once a case reaches the 2-week mark without any fresh leads that a lot of circular and repetitive posting happens which is frustrating to those that took the time to answer questions, investigate, collect info and compose posts only to have the same questions asked and eventually answered again only days later. So, to save your time and the time of others I would like to kindly ask that people become familiar with the case :)

reason it took me so long to post was because i was reading it all. however, i am not sure i was able to take everything in. i hope i dont post whats already been said. sometimes i respond to people who have posted something thats been discounted or who arent aware.....im not trying to show that i didnt already know, just trying to help them be made aware so someone else doesnt have to. if i post something outside of that thats been discounted, please let me know.

http://myedmondsnews.com/2016/01/alleged-sexual-assault-reported-near-edmonds-community-college/

I think you might be referring to this case. Edmonds Community College is just to the west of MLT.

That is the one - thank you! Funny that it was 4 because another incident involving 4 men also occurred - not sure how far this was but they have not been caught as far as I could tell.
http://mynorthwest.com/11/2912772/Police-searching-for-4-suspects-in-Edmonds-home-invasion

It would not be an appealing alternative to taking the sidewalk that goes directly to the Park and Ride lot. I feel pretty certain that any smart woman (regardless of her outdoorsy tendencies) would agree with me. But of course I could be wrong. Maybe CD loved to walk the muddy creepy path to the lot! (Although apparently she vocalized that she thought it was unsafe.)
....snipped with respect

It was mentioned upthread by a former colleague that "it was NOT unusual" for CD to park streetside and walk through the park. Although this is hearsay, it also gels with many comments from MLT commuters that the "walking through the park" option was one often used by east side commuters to avoid traffic and because all day parking on the side of the street is free.
The path is paved (or at least not just exposed earth as it's marked as a trail on Google) and just 0.2 of a mile (5 mins on foot)
ETA: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47....6625,-122.311125/@47.7864412,-122.3144885,17z

Oddly, there were two big "trailers" on the D's driveway yesterday. They seemed kind of out of place to me. I wondered if they were brought there to process evidence or something. (They reminded me of the kind of trailers we use on location when producing TV spots. But I guess it is possible that could belong to someone in the immediate or extended family, or to a friend.)
Upthread these pre-existing trailers where discussed. You can seem them historically on various maps and streetview using Google Earth or Bing maps. One is a towable camper, one is a towable motorcycle trailer. There all along, not crimescene wagons, not suspicious.

If I recall correctly CD was driving the car that her husband typically drove. I wonder if a perp was waiting in the car expecting that the husband would be driving it. They might not have seen that the husband had already left. I'm not sure how the work badge would factor in to the equation which is a weakness in this theory. Stranger things have happened though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

....snipped with respect

It was mentioned upthread by a former colleague that "it was NOT unusual" for CD to park streetside and walk through the park. Although this is hearsay, it also gels with many comments from MLT commuters that the "walking through the park" option was one often used by east side commuters to avoid traffic and because all day parking on the side of the street is free.
The path along the southern side is paved and just 0.2 of a mile (5 mins on foot)

Upthread these pre-existing trailers where discussed. You can seem them historically on various maps and streetview using Google Earth or Bing maps. One is a towable camper, one is a towable motorcycle trailer. There all along, not crimescene wagons, not suspicious.

thank you so much! the only qualm i have is that a news video (that i linked to earlier) said CD had said she felt the area unsafe...so why would she walk that path, if so?

not necessarily, systems analyst sounds like computers. in a lot of office environments, you are not supposed to use your phone. some places are less strict, though. the second part, good point. unless, her phone was dying or she just figured she didnt need to update her as she was running late and thatd be more time wasted, she would see her when she saw her. i myself have seen the media say 10 different things when it comes to her texts, so i put no stalk into exactly what she said. the most official media source (from the police) seemed to say the friend should go on without her, which is what i am going by: http://www.cityofmlt.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/3163

I suppose it depends on the office environment, but some organizations and technology teams use tools like Slack for team communication. It's far more efficient than email. Cell phone enables instant work related communication throughout the day regardless of physical location. That aside, the fact that Cheryl was going to return home to pick up her badge and meet with the carpool friends in 10 minutes - it doesn't make sense to me that she would power down her phone. It does make sense that she had the phone in her hand, someone took it away from her and powered down her phone.

Please, please know that I was not pointing any fingers at anyone with my last post. I have just been noticing this kind of thing happens on a lot of threads that drag out with no new info from police/media. It just means the thread gets longer and longer with no new info which in turn becomes discouraging for the next lot of newcomers to read :)

Bringing this over from the last thread

Entrance to trail from where CD parked

attachment.php

Closer view of trail entrance

attachment.php

Trail about half way leading from the park and ride, there is a wooden bridge over a semi dry culvert area.

attachment.php

Trail leading to the stairs to the park and ride (just around the chain link fence to the right).

attachment.php

I agree. I am a PacificNorthWesterner and I love to hike. But after having walked the whole path from where her car would have been parked to the transit lot, I can say with certainty that it was not a particularly pleasant experience, even on a nice afternoon in sneakers. It was mildly creepy and pretty muddy. It would not be an appealing alternative to taking the sidewalk that goes directly to the Park and Ride lot. I feel pretty certain that any smart woman (regardless of her outdoorsy tendencies) would agree with me. But of course I could be wrong. Maybe CD loved to walk the muddy creepy path to the lot! (Although apparently she vocalized that she thought it was unsafe.)

ETA, had I not been walking with my son and my dog I would have felt vulnerable running into the solemn, peculiar man I ran into on the path with no one else around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between the photos and the description, it seems safe to assume that Cheryl did not walk down the path on the morning that she vanished.

she wasnt going to meet up with them
http://www.cityofmlt.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/3163

all the media is saying 10 different things about her texts (i expanded on my thoughts on this in an earlier post)...so i take anything the media says with a grain of salt regarding that. however, a press released by the police is really most reliable.

Bringing this over from the last thread

that doesnt look muddy to me, i suppose it depends on the weather. if its raining, i might not take that path, if it wasnt raining, i might take it..unless i was concerned for safety or theres a quicker way, unless of course a quicker path isnt my prerogative.

Before I continue to search through previous threads....do any of you who started following this case from the start recall reading about a woman approached by a group of men? Maybe someone was referring to another case but I thought something about this happening at the park was posted. I am going to look again but if no one else remembers - I will at least know I'm off base here.

An international student was approached and gang-raped by a group of men on a trail at/near a community college in the neighboring city. Was this what you were thinking of?

Sorry - my post crossed and now I see it was answered above. Do you think multiple people might be involved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose it depends on the office environment, but some organizations and technology teams use tools like Slack for team communication. It's far more efficient than email. Cell phone enables instant work related communication throughout the day regardless of physical location. That aside, the fact that Cheryl was going to return home to pick up her badge and meet with the carpool friends in 10 minutes - it doesn't make sense to me that she would power down her phone. It does make sense that she had the phone in her hand, someone took it away from her and powered down her phone.

I totally agree with that. You don't power down your phone when you are in a somewhat fluid situation and might have to text again or might receive another text in a few minutes. ("Can't find the badge at home, go on w/o me", or friend might change their mind and you don't want to miss a text telling you so, so that you can directly go to the bus, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb