Teens fall sick after getting meningitis shot

Holy cow... I have a prescription for that drug in my purse. I was to pick it up at the pharmacy and take it to the Doctor so he could give Noel the shot :eek:

Casshew said:
Holy cow... I have a prescription for that drug in my purse. I was to pick it up at the pharmacy and take it to the Doctor so he could give Noel the shot :eek:

Don't do it. She isn't likely to contract the disease. Better be safe than sorry.

concerned, there was a breakout of meningitis in my area, several kids came down with it. The Doc recommended I get a shot for Noel and I have the prescription.. but I will talk to him about this scare. :eek:

Casshew said:
concerned, there was a breakout of meningitis in my area, several kids came down with it. The Doc recommended I get a shot for Noel and I have the prescription.. but I will talk to him about this scare. :eek:

Please be careful. It depends on the kind of meningitis. Some just cause a terrific headache and other kinds cause more harmful situations. Talk with the doc.

Casshew said:
Can't he write a new script for the old vaccine?

We have a simalar virus here its called Meningacoccal, is it the same one? They get vaccines for it,its a type of meningitis virus.

Casshew said:
The effects of the disease are devastating--I hadn't known that much about those effects until recently.

Breehannah6 said:
We have a simalar virus here its called Meningacoccal, is it the same one? They get vaccines for it,its a type of meningitis virus.

An 18 year old family member of mine, two weeks into starting college, has come down with this horrible devastating disease. At first, her odds of living were optimistically 50-50. She may never regain kidney function, she may have a foot amputated, she has had to have a feeding tube inserted, on and on. And she is one of the lucky ones. She has a long road ahead of her. This is a terrible thing that runs rampant very quickly throughout the body leaving terrible repercussions.

I do not know the exact details of why she did not receive the vaccine - but I would urge everyone to check this out with their doctors.

lorann said:
An 18 year old family member of mine, two weeks into starting college, has come down with this horrible devastating disease. At first, her odds of living were optimistically 50-50. She may never regain kidney function, she may have a foot amputated, she has had to have a feeding tube inserted, on and on. And she is one of the lucky ones. She has a long road ahead of her. This is a terrible thing that runs rampant very quickly throughout the body leaving terrible repercussions.

I do not know the exact details of why she did not receive the vaccine - but I would urge everyone to check this out with their doctors.
They urge everyone in our state that has a child in the college dorms to get the vaccine. I am sorry to hear of your family member who is so ill. :(

There are two types of menagitis. Bacterial(severe) and viral(flu like symptoms).

Bacterial is most common in dorms and universities.......as a percaution, if a students has bacterial menagitis, then everyone who may have been even in brief contact, would require antibiotics.

Viral require no treatment and mimics flu like symptoms........

I would not panic. Bacterial is not common and shots are issued only if the students is going to be in close contact with other students like in a dorm environment or contact team sports.

Bacterial is not very common.........

It is the bacterial form that she has. She goes away from home to college and visited college friends from her home town the night before her outbreak. Both colleges immediately began contacting those who may have been exposed. Some people are carriers even though they may not get it. Cipro is the antibiotic they are using for those people who felt they were exposed. And, again, this will prompt those who did not get the vaccine to do so. I am not sure which vaccine is being urged, the older or the newer.

The vaccine is strongly encouraged, I don't yet know how she fell through the cracks. This is something each one of us must warn parents about, especially those attending college, living in dorms, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back