GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #3

ArianeEmory

Reaction score
http://gawker.com/teen-who-killed-four-people-got-off-on-probation-becaus-1480835092

A 16-year-old boy who drunkenly killed four people got probation this week because the judge — with no apparent irony — agreed with the boy's defense that he was a victim of "affluenza," whose parents taught him wealth and privilege shield consequences. The teen had faced up to twenty years in prison.

Sixteen-year-old Ethan Couch admitted to four counts of manslaughter after he and seven other boys stole alcohol from Walmart, piled into his car and struck and killed four pedestrians while going 70 miles per hour in a 40 zone. One of his passengers remains in the hospital with severe brain damage, and nine other bystanders were also injured.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

Couch’s attorneys argued his parents were responsible for the teen’s actions that night because of the way he had been raised. Defense attorneys put a psychologist on the stand who testified Couch was a product of wealth and got whatever he wanted. The psychologist also testified the teen was allowed to drink at a very young age and began driving at 13 years old. Defense attorneys argued Couch needed treatment, not jail and suggested a facility that costs almost half a million dollars a year.

Thread #1
Thread #2

‘Affluenza’ teen Ethan Couch’s case sent to adult court
FEBRUARY 20, 2016

s059476371-300.jpg

The Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office took a new mughshot of Ethan Couch after his transfer from a juvenile facility to the Lon Evans Corrections Center, an adult facility in Fort Worth.

A Texas judge on Friday recommended that “affluenza” teenager Ethan Couch‘s probation for a 2013 fatal drunken-driving crash be transferred from juvenile court to adult court – a long-expected move that prosecutors said could see him serve more jail time.

At its core, the decision in Tarrant County juvenile court should ensure that Couch’s eight remaining years of probation won’t evaporate when he turns 19 in April.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...uenza-teen-ethan-couch-kill-her-daughter.html

This article describes exactly what happened to Breanna Mitchell's car. It was a blowout & threw the car out of control & the airbag deployed.

I would like to encourage everyone to read this article thoroughly in order to thoroughly grasp the horror that Ethan caused & his attitude immediately following the wreck. It is a very graphic article. I dare anyone to read this & still feel sorry for Ethan.

From the other thread (sorry, don't remember who asked this):

And secondly, reading that sad article that faw posted upthread, it seems like there is a lot more technology that is available that would help Sergio communicate through eye movements. Stephen Hawking can write books with just his eye movements - it would be so heartening if whoever has that technology could donate it to Sergio's family.

Steven Hawking's brain and intellect remained intact. It was his physical body which prevented him from moving and living normally. Sergio is not cognitively intact, from what I understand. Isn't he profoundly brain damaged vs. mentally sound but trapped in a paralyzed body? If so, the technology you are referencing is irrelevant to him.

And well-compensated. She is a murderer as much as her pimply-faced little precious is.

And she will never spend one second of her life paying for the lives she cost when she took that bribe. Burn in Hell, evil *advertiser censored*.

This makes zero sense. No one has died as a result of the Judge's sentence.

If he goes on to kill someone in the future, then that would be a more valid statement. At the very least it gives fodder for debate.

Well, well, well.....................Judge Boyd's interview with the Daily Mirror has just now hit all the local news outlets. I think it would benefit her to go on vacation for a couple of months just to let things cool down a bit. Her arrogance isn't going to go over so great in Tarrant Co. She took things just a bit too far when she said that she had no regrets over her decision to give Ethan probation. She has as many problems as the Couch family when it comes to affluenza.

From the other thread (sorry, don't remember who asked this):

Steven Hawking's brain and intellect remained intact. It was his physical body which prevented him from moving and living normally. Sergio is not cognitively intact, from what I understand. Isn't he profoundly brain damaged vs. mentally sound but trapped in a paralyzed body? If so, the technology you are referencing is irrelevant to him.

There was a family member who said he answers yes or no by blinking his eyes. So it seems there is some cognitive ability there. He looked quite "awake" to me in the video. There is SO much more that can be done, if he can at least retain the ability to spell or look at other cue words on a screen. I'm just really hoping they find more help than they've had in the past.

There was a family member who said he answers yes or no by blinking his eyes. So it seems there is some cognitive ability there. He looked quite "awake" to me in the video. There is SO much more that can be done, if he can at least retain the ability to spell or look at other cue words on a screen. I'm just really hoping they find more help than they've had in the past.

This guy went from being an active, athletic teenager to someone who maybe can communicate by blinking his eyes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...uenza-teen-ethan-couch-kill-her-daughter.html

This article describes exactly what happened to Breanna Mitchell's car. It was a blowout & threw the car out of control & the airbag deployed.

I would like to encourage everyone to read this article thoroughly in order to thoroughly grasp the horror that Ethan caused & his attitude immediately following the wreck. It is a very graphic article. I dare anyone to read this & still feel sorry for Ethan.

Thank you for clarifying faw720. I've never seen anything in MSM that the young woman killed whose car was disabled was 'flying' around that curve.

This guy went from being an active, athletic teenager to someone who maybe can communicate by blinking his eyes.

Yes, he did. And that's why you don't get into the back of a pickup truck with a teenager you're partying and drinking with at the wheel.

MADD has a point. Drunk driving is horrible, and kids need to be warned repeatedly not to drink and drive, and not to get into vehicles with friends they know to be drunk. The more his sad story is circulated, hopefully, the more kids will be cautioned about doing this. Don't get into the car with a drunk person behind the wheel.

And make fun of it as people in this thread are, there ARE things that would make Sergio's life more meaningful, and allow him to communicate if he can control his eye movements. And I hope that agencies that have that equipment are making it available to Sergio's family, despite how dismissive posters on this board are about improved communications with those who are severely impaired.

So here is a media story focusing on Sergio, (and I believe it's in this article) where they call him "minimally responsive". Anyway, that term was in one of the articles. Also stated was that he blinks for yes or no to questions, indicating that he is understanding questions and responding on some level. So it's hard to tell what level of possible cognitive function he has.

I really think this is a question worth looking in to - and if he'd be appropriate for communication technology, a "" account could be set up.

There is really so very little public information about what help - specifically - he could benefit from. During this time when the case is in the news would be an excellent time to get his needs public and get funding or therapy for him.

Obviously he's a sympathetic figure. Now is the time to have his specific needs made known, and met.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/new-details-emerge-affluenza-teen-trial-article-1.1547671

And make fun of it as people in this thread are, there ARE things that would make Sergio's life more meaningful, and allow him to communicate if he can control his eye movements. And I hope that agencies that have that equipment are making it available to Sergio's family, despite how dismissive posters on this board are about improved communications with those who are severely impaired.

Who is "making fun"?

I personally would rather be dead. Just tragic.

Whatever improvements can be made to his life, it's pretty obvious this guy will never get back to the state that he was in prior to the accident.

Whatever improvements can be made to his life, it's pretty obvious this guy will never get back to the state that he was in prior to the accident.

That ship has sailed, jj. No, he won't be able to be what he was before he went to the party.

If he has cognitive functioning sufficient to still spell words, his life could be greatly improved.

And I hope, after the public plea, the wheels are in motion to seek to give him more help. It may be that he's lost the ability to spell, and so his ability to communicate will be completely gone.

None of those who were there that night's lives will ever be what they could have been. I can't count how many people's lives have been negatively impacted, or outright ruined.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back