767 users online (139 members and 628 guests)  

Websleuths News

OH - Barbara Barnes, 13, Steubenville, 7 Dec 1995

She rarely spoke to anyone about her family, her poverty or her father's murder.
    Encased in a frosted mauve casket, Barbara Ann Barnes keeps her secrets still.

The 13-year-old vanished the morning of Dec. 7, 1995, while walking to Harding Middle School in Steubenville, Ohio.

No one realized she was gone until after 3 p.m.

Once she vanished, however, the city of about 20,000 could talk of no one else. Mystery and fear laid siege to Steubenville until a surveyor found her decomposed, partially frozen remains Feb. 22, 1996.

They were buried in a dry, 3-foot-wide creek bed near Pittsburgh International Airport.

The coroner couldn't determine how she died.

No one has been charged with Barnes' murder

Police questioned Montgomery in Barbara's disappearance, and they suspected him of playing a role in the murder of Barbara's father, Gary Barnes, in 1989. Mike Dugan, a friend of Montgomery and Gary Barnes, is serving a life sentence for the slaying.

Montgomery was one of the last to see Gary Barnes, 37, when the two had "one or two beers" at an American Legion near both men's homes the night of his murder, Montgomery said.

"He said he had to go home and he left," Montgomery said. "Kathy (Barnes, Gary's wife) called me the next morning and said, 'They shot Gary.'"
    http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-.../s_379359.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

http://www.wtov9.com/news/7402303/detail.html

After 10 Years, Search Continues For Local Teen's Killer

POSTED: 11:44 am EST February 24, 2006
    UPDATED: 12:57 pm EST February 24, 2006

It's been 10 years since Steubenville-teen Barbara Barnes was found murdered in Pennsylvania. Her killer was never caught.

And now, the case is getting national attention as a friend tries to find her killer with the help of the Internet.

Tom Smoganovich of Steubenville, a friend and neighbor of Barnes, is featured in the "My Story" section of the website for "America's Most Wanted."

Smoganovich, of Steubenville, said he thinks about Barbara's case every day and thinks publicity from the site may help generate some new clues.

The 13-year-old vanished while she was walking between her home and Harding Middle School. Police interviewed several suspects, but never found enough evidence to press charges.

"It's been 10 years and somebody's got to know something. There's got to be a tip out there that can lead to this person," Smoganovich said.

To view Smoganovich's story, please visit the America's Most Wanted website.

Who killed Barbara Barnes???

This case really bothers me, I lived and grew up 15 miles from Steubenville Oh. I was there when this beautiful little girl went missing. It saddens me that it seems to have been forgotten. Seems like noone cares that her killer has never been found.

http://books.google.com/books?id=c4p...um=2&ct=result

http://www.amw.com/Fugitives/brief.cfm?id=37190

http://users.1st.net/mwells/BarbaraBarnes.htm

Resurrecting Nine WV Cold Case Murders
    Sunday September 6, 2009
    by, Jack Swint
    Like so many other schoolchildren, thirteen-year-old Barbara Barnes, pictured above, walked to and from school each day. Her family knew her as "Barbie," but the quiet girl was nothing like the flashy doll of that name. She had been blessed with intelligence, beauty, and friendliness but rarely spoke without being asked a question. Barbara was one of the brightest students in her eighth-grade class at Harding Middle School, where she sang in the choir. Friends recall she rarely spoke to anyone about her family, her poverty, or her father’s murder seven years prior to hers. Barbara Ann Barnes keeps her secrets to this day.

On December 7, 1995, Barbara vanished. No one realized she was gone until after 3 p.m. "She usually comes home after school," said Kathy Barnes, her mother, back in 1995 in a newspaper interview with local media." According to media accounts, her mother had missed phone calls from the school notifying her that Barbara was not there. The brown-haired, brown-eyed girl was last seen at the intersection of Brady Circle and Ridge Avenue just blocks from where she attended Harding Middle School in Steubenville.

Justin Rinehart, a classmate, noticed her walking ahead of him before he became distracted. He didn’t see her the next time he looked in her direction.
    Last edited by bessie; 11-21-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I'm glad people quoted stuff from the articles because none of the links I tried (5 of them) did not work.

Do the police believe her murder is tied to her father's?

Search continues for missing eighth grader
    Portsmouth Daily Times
    January 1996
    Authorities believe a 13-year-old girl who disappeared almost a month ago was kidnapped.
    Autopsy to determine if body is that of missing Ohio girl, 13
    The Vindicator
    February 24, 1996
    Allegheny County Homicide Sergeant David Schwab said the body had been buried in a creek.
    Body of Missing Girl Found Near Airport
    Observer-Reporter
    February 25, 1996
    Wecht said she was killed in early December by undetermined means. No wound or weapon was found.
    Slain Girl's Family Makes Plea for Tips
    The Vindicator
    February 26,1996"Please. If anybody knows anything, please call so we can get on with our lives, so we can know that justice has been done," said her uncle...
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Barbara Barnes May You Rest in Peace.

Sending prayers of love and strength to Barbara's family. Please remember that Barbara will never be forgotten.

Her light lives in your hearts.
    for there is nothing heavier than compassion. Not even one's own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels with someone, for someone, a pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echoes.” ― Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being