Kevorkian to continue his campain upon release

Norma

Pook
Reaction score
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/5042903/detail.html

If released from prison, Jack Kevorkian plans to use the legal system to campaign for changes to assisted-suicide laws, the former doctor said in an interview from prison.

But Kevorkian emphasized that he would not help those who want to die by breaking the law again, or encourage other doctors to do so until it's legal.

I use to work across the street from Kevorkian's old apartment. Once I watched them wheel one of the bodies out.

Lawyer for Kevorkian asks governor for commutation or pardon
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. His lawyer says assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian is in such bad shape, he might not live until he's eligible for parole in 2007.

The lawyer is seeking a pardon or a commutation of Kevorkian's ten- to 25-year sentence for second-degree murder for giving a fatal injection of drugs to a man who was suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease in 1998.

Kevorkian is 77 and suffers from a number of ailments, including high blood pressure, Hepatitis C, arthritis, cataracts and osteoporosis. His attorney says he's in "dire shape" and "almost to the point of no return" because of the harshness of prison life.

http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=4143010

When they called him Dr. Death, they weren't kidding. This man has looked liked he's just two steps from the grave long before he went to prison.

it's sad we live in a society where we can't acknowledge this man for what he is-- a hero and a saint. here's someone who believes in the right to help a mature terminally ill adult end their suffering in a humane, dignified, compassionate and relatively painless way, which is more than i can say for our current medical system. we would rather condemn this man as a common crimical, and force people to stay alive and suffer than to have the freedom do this. so sad, and we think we are a progressive society.....???

While I am personally against euthanasia,I don't feel I have the right to tell someone else they must endure an agonizing death. I want to stay hooked up to every machine that will keep me on this earth with my children and grandchildren.
My younger sister was diagnosed with RA 8 years ago. I watched her struggle,try every new treatment,go through living hell....and because I live in Michigan,she wanted me to find her a "Kevorkian" We fought constantly. It came down to my selfish need to keep her here,vs. her need to leave quietly. She died 2 years ago this Christmas,in horrific pain,etc. If I had to do it all again,I would probably help her end it.
Jack Kevorkian and people like him,could have taken away all that pain she went through.

reb said:
it's sad we live in a society where we can't acknowledge this man for what he is-- a hero and a saint. here's someone who believes in the right to help a mature terminally ill adult end their suffering in a humane, dignified, compassionate and relatively painless way, which is more than i can say for our current medical system. we would rather condemn this man as a common criminal, and force people to stay alive and suffer than to have the freedom do this. so sad, and we think we are a progressive society.....???
It makes me sick that I could do something for my dog to end her misery but not a terminally ill parent without becoming a criminal!

NanaMcZoo said:
Jack Kevorkian and people like him,could have taken away all that pain she went through.
I knew one of the people who died at his hands. She was not terminally ill, but she was very depressed. What she needed was a good doctor, not someone who was willing to kill her.

Physician assisted suicide I'm all for. Dr. Death = :loser:

Linda7NJ said:
It makes me sick that I could do something for my dog to end her misery but not a terminally ill parent without becoming a criminal!
ClapSmi.gif
ClapSmi.gif
ClapSmi.gif

Wow... he's got some satellite ears going there!!! I think they pretty much euthanized my Dad when he was going so downhill with heart failure... they told me as much :(

How many other countries have assisted/legal euthanasia?

Linda7NJ said:

I agree 100%. I could not bear to watch my animal suffer and die a slow agonizing death, so I am allowed to have it euthanized. Unfortunately, I must just sit by and watch if someone I love were in the same situation.....

Kevorkian's health worsens</MCC HEAD>
<MCC SUBHEAD>Lawyer seeks early release for assisted suicide advocate

LAPEER&#8212;Jack Kevorkian's lawyer wants an early release for his imprisoned client because of a failing liver.

Kevorkian, often referred to as "Dr. Death," is being treated by doctors in the Thumb Correctional Facility in Lapeer where he is an inmate.

"His health has worsened," said Kevorkian's attorney Mayer Morganroth, of Southfield. "He has a series of health problems, temporal arthritis, a series of fractures, heart problems and high blood pressure."

His most recent problem, Hepatitis C, is putting his liver and his life in danger, said Morganroth.

"It lay dormant for many years," said Morganroth. "He contracted it in Vietnam and there is no way to treat it. He needs a transplant. I have asked the governor to pardon him."

Governor Jennifer Granholm spokeswoman Liz Boyd said the issue is before the parole board. "They will consider it and a recommendation will be presented to the governor," said Boyd. "I can't give a time line."

Kevorkian's right to live coincides with his fight to allow terminal patients the right to choose, said Morganroth.

More: http://www.countypress.com/stories/120905/loc_20051209002.shtml

Dying 'Dr. Death' Has Second Thoughts About Assisting Suicides

Today, on his 78th birthday, Jack Kevorkian, the man known as "Dr. Death," is slowly dying in prison.
And, according to his lawyer, Kevorkian seems to have second thoughts about helping people die.
For years, Kevorkian was the center of a national debate around the highly controversial questions surrounding physician-assisted suicide or "mercy killing:" Do the terminally ill have the right to choose when and how they die? Do doctors have the ability, even an obligation, to help them die as they choose?
Now, as he sits in jail, Kevorkian may have had a change of heart — not about his dedication to the "death with dignity" movement, but on how he went about promoting it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=2008364&page=1

I do believe i should be given a choice to be euthanised should i want. when avoiding agony may be possible.

I have always said, that if need be, I would most certainly use Doctor Kevorkian.

StareGirl said:
I knew one of the people who died at his hands. She was not terminally ill, but she was very depressed. What she needed was a good doctor, not someone who was willing to kill her.

Physician assisted suicide I'm all for. Dr. Death = :loser:

I remember that there were several women with fibromyalgia who ended it all via Kavorkian. Except for the Hep C, Kavorkian doesn't have any problems that many men and women have at his age or even younger.

reb said:
it's sad we live in a society where we can't acknowledge this man for what he is-- a hero and a saint. here's someone who believes in the right to help a mature terminally ill adult end their suffering in a humane, dignified, compassionate and relatively painless way, which is more than i can say for our current medical system. we would rather condemn this man as a common crimical, and force people to stay alive and suffer than to have the freedom do this. so sad, and we think we are a progressive society.....???

If you ask me Kevorkian is a sick, twisted man. I only have to look at his artwork to see that he is not the person who I would want assisting any loved one of mine to end their suffering.

To me he is a mass murderer who simply figured out a way to get willing victims and claim he was helping humanity at the same time.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/kevorkian/aboutk/art/

My grandfather is going through this now - he's in constant pain, unable to live life to any degree, and it'd be so much more humane to let him decide when he's had enough. He doesn't have much more time in any case, but this is just really not right that he can't decide when to stop.

Details said:
My grandfather is going through this now - he's in constant pain, unable to live life to any degree, and it'd be so much more humane to let him decide when he's had enough. He doesn't have much more time in any case, but this is just really not right that he can't decide when to stop.

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather, Details.

I agree with you that it would be so much more humane to let a person decide when they have had enough. My best friend (since we were in our teens) died in January of cancer. Her last four months were pure hell, and it just broke my heart that she had to go through that when she was ready to go--she didn't want to continue to live when she was just existing. I think everyone deserves to die with dignity, and if you are just existing and require 24 hr. care to take care of your needs that isn't going out with dignity in my opinion. I want a choice, and I think many people feel exactly like I do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back