LA - Meing-Chen Hsiao, 34, murdered in her Monroe home, 9 Aug 2015 *arrest*

PeterThomasFan

Reaction score
Meing-Chen Hsiao 34 - Former ULM Grad Student from Taiwan

attachment.php

Monroe Police Say Former ULM Student Was Murdered
MONROE, LA
UPDATE WEDNESDAY (8/12/2015) 11:30 A.M.

Monroe Police say a former ULM student found dead in her apartment on Sunday was stabbed.

The victim is identified as 34 year old Meing-Chen Hsiao of Taiwan.

Police say the autopsy revealed Hsiao was stabbed. Police believe it was done by someone she knew.

During a news conference Wednesday morning, Monroe Police say Hsiao was a recent graduate of ULM and was looking for work.

Police have interviewed witnesses and a person of interest. The investigation is ongoing.

http://www.myarklamiss.com/news/local-news/monroe-police-investigate-death-of-ulm-student

Original Report:

An international student at ULM is dead, and Monroe Police are working with ULM police to figure out why.

Monroe Police say her body was found late last night in the 400 block of Filhoil Avenue, just off of ULM's campus. She's described as an Asian woman in her thirties.

Police say she hadn't been seen in more than a week, and when a friend went to check on her, they found her dead.

Her body was sent off for an autopsy Sunday, and police are treating this as a homicide until they can get the results of those tests.

Former ULM graduate student died from stab wound; homicide investigation ongoing

http://www.knoe.com/home/headlines/ULM-student-found-dead-321216271.html (with videos and updates)

See Also:
MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 ; Quinton Tellis Indicted - #13

Quinton Tellis indicted in Jessica Chambers homicide

Jessica Chambers suspect tied to Louisiana homicide

Attachments

• student31.jpg
    student31.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Meing-Chen Hsiao.jpg
    Meing-Chen Hsiao.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 475
Jessica Chambers suspect tied to Louisiana homicide
Therese Apel, The Clarion-Ledger 6:38 p.m. CST February 25, 2016

Police say the suspect in the burning death of Jessica Chambers had a relationship with another woman found dead in Louisiana and had access to her apartment.

Quinton Tellis, 27, of Courtland, is charged with capital murder in the death of the Panola County teen. He was indicted by a grand jury this week as he sat in the Ouachita Parish Jail in Monroe, Louisiana, on charges related to the stabbing death of Meing-Chen Hsiao, 34, of Taiwan.

<snipped by me>

Officials say Hsaio, who was known as "Mandy," died of a stab wound. Local media reports say she had been missing for more than a week when her body was found Aug. 8. Police said Hsiao's homicide appeared to be very personal.

[...]

One more original report:

ULM student found dead in apartment
Mark Henderson 3:46 p.m. CDT August 9, 2015

[...]

Detective Reggie Brown said Monroe police received a call from the University of Louisiana at Monroe Police Department that it had received a call about a deceased female student. Brown said he believed the student to be in her mid-30s.

Police have not released the identity of the dead student. “We don’t know if she has any family here, or if the family is all abroad,” Brown said.

Remembering the life of ‘Mandy’
The Hawkeye
Posted by Tyler Smith - Feature Stories, News Sunday, August 23rd, 2015

TvWi9td.jpg

You could always find her at the Wesley serving others and surrounded by people who truly cared. Her name was Ming-Chen Hsiao, but others called her “Mandy.”

Mandy was an international student who recently graduated with her master’s degree in May. Three months later, she died from a stab wound at her apartment right off the campus.

T Washington was a close friend of Mandy’s who said her death was almost unreal.

“I would always see her almost every day, so after a while I started wondering what was going on with her,” said Washington, a senior kinesiology major.

[...]

“She was never afraid to ask for help,” said Washington. “And I feel like that’s what most people can get from Mandy.”

[...]

“She taught me how to love,” said G, director of missions at the Wesley. “That’s the biggest thing she did.”

[...]

“She taught us how to serve people,” said G. “And it was a good thing for all of us to learn to do that.”

[video=twitter;631491688175775744]https://twitter.com/justinpagenews/status/631491688175775744[/video]

Therese Apel's article (25 Feb 2016, The Clarion-Ledger, http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/ne...ers-suspect-tied-louisiana-homicide/80959128/) is as informative as any I've found thus far linking Meing-Chen Hsiao's case with Jessica Chambers's... (thank you for sharing it earlier, PeterThomasFan!)

I went back through it again to try to understand how, exactly, Meing-Chen knew Quinton...but it wasn't very clear. From that article:

The University of Louisiana at Monroe graduate lived in an apartment complex, and she and Tellis knew each other, said Monroe Police Detective Chris Bates.

"The victim was a person he had a relationship with," he said. "They had known each other for a couple of months, and she had helped him out. They had established a relationship, from what I gathered. Was it an intimate relationship? Possibly. She allowed him in and out of her apartment."

It seems like investigators are still trying to determine what's fact vs. rumor/hearsay, but I'm curious to know how exactly this situation arose, especially if Quinton supposedly had a fiancée/new wife (?) at the time...

Another thing that just crossed my mind, from the same article:

According to Tellis' Facebook page, he married his fiancee on or around Aug. 8, the day Hsiao's body was found.

...is there any source that shows that Tellis actually got married *besides* Facebook? Because I was married for a spell, according to Facebook, while I was in college (to one of best friends, and no, there was no truth to this matrimony except that we were mega-great-friends + felt like being "Facebook married" for a while).

Not saying Tellis couldn't have indeed been legitimately, legally married, but... a relationship status on Facebook isn't exactly the barometer of truth. He could've been married but not necessarily on that particular date, too, I suppose. It's just really bizarre to me - but then, a lot of things about this guy are difficult for me to understand, too.

...is there any source that shows that Tellis actually got married *besides* Facebook? Because I was married for a spell, according to Facebook, while I was in college (to one of best friends, and no, there was no truth to this matrimony except that we were mega-great-friends + felt like being "Facebook married" for a while).

Not saying Tellis couldn't have indeed been legitimately, legally married, but... a relationship status on Facebook isn't exactly the barometer of truth. He could've been married but not necessarily on that particular date, too, I suppose. It's just really bizarre to me - but then, a lot of things about this guy are difficult for me to understand, too.
<rsbm>

Beside the FB picture of the bride and groom, there's this.

http://registry.theknot.com/chakita-tellis-quinton-tellis-august-2015/12137383

ETA: For the record, I wouldn't have posted in JC's thread that he was married based on that initial news report (which based it on a FB post), without checking it out for myself.

<rsbm>

ETA: For the record, I wouldn't have posted in JC's thread that he was married based on that initial news report (which based it on a FB post), without checking it out for myself.

Ahh, thank you, Bessie!! I didn't think along those terms, admittedly - I mean, I didn't doubt you or anyone particular posting something not in good faith... the whole thing just has me in head-scratching mode, still. And I accept that there's a lot that's just not...known, or public info, etc.

(Like even that wedding registry page? I understand it's after the fact, but both their last names are listed as "Tellis"? What? And there's nothing on the registry? Well, okay, maybe it's been edited or closed out since, sure. Never mind the ironic counter on there that says "Day 202 of Happily Ever After" subtly hitting my depressing + creepy buttons. *self-aware knuckle bite*)

But..yeah. I'm sure some of the basic, factual details to fill in the bigger picture are forthcoming as a result of legal proceedings, but I don't expect to ever truly understand whatever skewed logic or rationale was behind these murders. They strike me as especially rash, cruel, and senseless.

<snip>... I don't expect to ever truly understand whatever skewed logic or rationale was behind these murders. They strike me as especially rash, cruel, and senseless.

"rash, cruel, and senseless" are good adjectives for murder. I suspect MCH was murdered for her money. If in fact this proves to be the case, then QT's FB photo of him relishing in crisp dollars paints a truly memorable portrait of a despicable animal. But I get ahead of myself for after all he must be presumed innocent until proved guilty.

[video=twitter;631491688175775744]https://twitter.com/justinpagenews/status/631491688175775744[/video]

JMO
If he is found guilty of this murder too then I suspect the motive was Money.

I think LE just suspected it was a crime of passion because they could not think of another valid reason and since LE knew that he knew her then they probably through it was crime of passion since the injury may have been indicating he got close to her without a struggle.
LE would originally not think someone would be cold enough to murder her for money after they became acquainted with her. So I could see why they may have thought what they did at first. LE may be changing their mind right about now.

I think we are going to find out the motive was money in this case.
Just a guess but after what he is accused of doing to that other girl I am leaning that way.

JMO
If he is found guilty of this murder too then I suspect the motive was Money.

I think LE just suspected it was a crime of passion because they could not think of another valid reason and since LE knew that he knew her then they probably through it was crime of passion since the injury may have been indicating he got close to her without a struggle.

I think money could've been a factor in the motive or even the primary motive, but "crime of passion" doesn't necessarily mean a victim + a murderer are/were lovers, romantically involved, etc.

The word "passion" in "crime of passion" is more generally referring to "a violent crime, especially homicide, in which the perpetrator commits the act against someone because of sudden strong impulse such as sudden rage rather than as a premeditated crime."

(Thanks, Wikipedia, for putting it better than I can! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_passion )

Though, truth is...the term has also been applied in cases where the perpetrator and the victim were indeed lovers or in a relationship, etc. and the murder was indeed a sudden, unplanned, violent action (rather than a carefully planned killing).

Anyway, I'd confuse the terminology frequently enough in the past that I wanted to look it up myself to clarify... :)

I think money could've been a factor in the motive or even the primary motive, but "crime of passion" doesn't necessarily mean a victim + a murderer are/were lovers, romantically involved, etc.

The word "passion" in "crime of passion" is more generally referring to "a violent crime, especially homicide, in which the perpetrator commits the act against someone because of sudden strong impulse such as sudden rage rather than as a premeditated crime."

(Thanks, Wikipedia, for putting it better than I can! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_passion )

Though, truth is...the term has also been applied in cases where the perpetrator and the victim were indeed lovers or in a relationship, etc. and the murder was indeed a sudden, unplanned, violent action (rather than a carefully planned killing).

Anyway, I'd confuse the terminology frequently enough in the past that I wanted to look it up myself to clarify... :)

I had always thought a "perceived" love interest as in infatuation, friendship, obsession, delusion, etc. were also factors in "crimes of passion"?

<rsbm>

ANNND I had dug that up a way back myself but I thought I wasn't supposed to post it, LOL, because, I get in enough trouble.
I did see their list though, but I did not see info as to what was claimed / still needed. Don't those sites do that?
Many thanks for posting it!

http://fox8.com/2016/02/24/arrest-made-in-mysterious-mississippi-slaying-of-jessica-chambers/

"The suspect in her killing appears to be a newlywed. A wedding registry found online showed that Quentin Tellis was scheduled to wed [CT] in Monroe on August 8, 2015.

IMO I think she is one lucky lady!

I had always thought a "perceived" love interest as in infatuation, friendship, obsession, delusion, etc. were also factors in "crimes of passion"?

Me too! I mean, I had thought that, and I still think as an element, it is common to a good number of such cases...because strong feelings like that could arguably fuel an emotional, violent outburst in reaction to some upsetting situation involving the perceived love interest.

But what I took from Wikipedia's definition is that the essence of a "crime of passion" is: it's not well-planned or necessarily pre-meditated. It's more of a sudden reaction to another person/thing/event based on rage, anger, upset, whatever, in the heat of the moment - the "passion of emotions" is the trigger for the murderous action.

Can anyone else chime in on this with what they know or their opinions?

I feel like if Quinton didn't know Meing-Chen very well, it's hard (for me) to imagine this being a "crime of passion" in quite the way that Jessica's murder may have been. (It appears that there is more to indicate that Quinton + Jessica had more of a personal connection since they were introduced by mutual friends; while the info available now suggests that Quinton and Meing-Chen were more like acquaintances, linked by her friendliness to his stepson in the neighborhood.)

Good questions! When time allows, I am always down to give my opinion. In this instance, regarding the associations or similarities we are identifying between the two murder cases currently associated with QT, I see many similarities, most of which point back to simple minded opportunity. In the instance of Mandy, based on the limited information I have read in MSM, their common association was QT's stepson, who rode bikes with Mandy and was known to give out candy to children in the neighborhood. This, as disgusting as it sounds, was all it took at the time for QT to see his opportunity to get what he could from Mandy. He saw a naive foreigner who was generous to children, and made an assumption that she had money to blow, because she had extra money to buy candy to give to kids in her neighborhood.
This may sound unbelievable even for some criminals, but given the circumstances, being on the run laying low after having just set a teenager on fire/murdering her, QT was most likely A) numbed to murdering people at this point B) desperate to maintain/survive C) needing $$ for a honeymoon (ok 'C' is a joke). Whatever the extent of QT's relationship was with Mandy, it was brief, and made Mandy a tragic victim to circumstances. Literally wrong place, wrong time.
I enjoy reading WS on my down time and I also enjoy putting my opinion out there and contributing to the conversations, so I will stop here, until at any point spouses become fair game.

Me too! I mean, I had thought that, and I still think as an element, it is common to a good number of such cases...because strong feelings like that could arguably fuel an emotional, violent outburst in reaction to some upsetting situation involving the perceived love interest.

But what I took from Wikipedia's definition is that the essence of a "crime of passion" is: it's not well-planned or necessarily pre-meditated. It's more of a sudden reaction to another person/thing/event based on rage, anger, upset, whatever, in the heat of the moment - the "passion of emotions" is the trigger for the murderous action.

Can anyone else chime in on this with what they know or their opinions?

I feel like if Quinton didn't know Meing-Chen very well, it's hard (for me) to imagine this being a "crime of passion" in quite the way that Jessica's murder may have been. (It appears that there is more to indicate that Quinton + Jessica had more of a personal connection since they were introduced by mutual friends; while the info available now suggests that Quinton and Meing-Chen were more like acquaintances, linked by her friendliness to his stepson in the neighborhood.)

This answers one of the questions that many of us have: the $2 charge on the debit card.

"Last August, Quinton Tellis called the 1-800 number on the back of a Chase Bank debit card and asked for the ATM code associated with the account. He didn&#8217;t know it at the time, but that call would be the beginning of his entanglement in two murder cases."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolasmedi...ica-chambers-suspect-to-two-murder#.pmxexdqNN

This answers one of the questions that many of us have: the $2 charge on the debit card.

"Last August, Quinton Tellis called the 1-800 number on the back of a Chase Bank debit card and asked for the ATM code associated with the account. He didn’t know it at the time, but that call would be the beginning of his entanglement in two murder cases."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolasmedi...ica-chambers-suspect-to-two-murder#.pmxexdqNN

Interesting & informative, MSCJgrad -- thanks. I'm sure you noticed this little part of it:

On Wednesday, the authorities in Panola County, Mississippi, announced that a grand jury had indicted Tellis in the capital murder of Jessica Chambers, a 19-year-old woman who was burned to death in her car in Dec. 2014.

The announcement was met with disbelief by the thousands of amateur detectives who’d taken to the Internet to try to solve the mysterious death. Over the course of a year, they assembled countless theories on what could have possibly happened to the young woman — but none of them involved Tellis — and terrorized many of Chambers’ family members along the way.

from your article linked above: http://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolasmedi...ca-chambers-suspect-to-two-murder#.sveMkrk0e3

Hmmmm. The words "amateur detectives" appear in the article... It was obvious to me that it couldn't have been the WS gang because we don't operate the way the article mentioned the internet "detectives."

It does give us some info about Jessica's case, although it's also about Meing-Chen-Jsiao. There is a link in that article that has more Jessica info.

I'm glad that things are starting to happen. It does look like the phone call apparently made by Tellis to the bank that issued Meing-Chen-Jsiao's card, asking for the access number, is gonna be a tuffy for Tellis's attorneys to handle. Pretty dam*ing IMO.

Yeah, I noticed that as well, and also the term 'sleuth' being used in the title iirc. The article/author clarified that they were referring to people who post on social media sights, which are largely unmoderated & require no resources, which thankfully does not coincide with WS tos. I think that part of the article was poorly worded but not intended to be aimed at us or this website. Buzzfeed is touch and go as far is accuracy in the news is concerned, but I have learned that they have no less respect for journalism as a field than reporters from msm. At least they followed through with articles and previous investigations (especially JC, in this instance), which not many other news outlets can claim. Regardless, I also found it to be interesting that Tellis calling the # on the back of Mandy's card is what spun the wheels of justice. I think the article said the 1-800# was able to link that phone call as being made from Tellis's phone, directing police to him, who clearly matched the photo/video evidence provided by the ATM company or bank security cameras.
This allows us to piece together the puzzle regarding how Tellis was brought in for JC's murder. It has been stated in previous articles that once LA investigators realized QT was from Panola county, THEY contacted officials, as they were familiar with the JC case via national coverage (due to the radio silence in msn regarding this case, i'm assuming this was either from initial reports, People, local, southern news circuits,, or NG. Nothing personal against PC police, but at this point they were handed QT on a silver platter, warrants for cell records included. They had no choice but to pursue him as a suspect, and lo and behold, his cell records placed him at the scene of JC's crime. I am far from a conspiracy theorist, but this doesn't look good for local investigators who have already been accused of doing a subpar job. Ugh.

Interesting & informative, MSCJgrad -- thanks. I'm sure you noticed this little part of it:

from your article linked above: http://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolasmedi...ca-chambers-suspect-to-two-murder#.sveMkrk0e3

Hmmmm. The words "amateur detectives" appear in the article... It was obvious to me that it couldn't have been the WS gang because we don't operate the way the article mentioned the internet "detectives."

It does give us some info about Jessica's case, although it's also about Meing-Chen-Jsiao. There is a link in that article that has more Jessica info.

I'm glad that things are starting to happen. It does look like the phone call apparently made by Tellis to the bank that issued Meing-Chen-Jsiao's card, asking for the access number, is gonna be a tuffy for Tellis's attorneys to handle. Pretty dam*ing IMO.

Excellent post, MSCJgrad, and I agree that the "detectives" to which they referred could not have been WS. We've all seen comments at the end of MSM articles -- it takes a pretty bad post for a deletion to be done, and sometimes those comments can get pretty nasty. I rarely read them unless I have a bit of time to just piddle.

Anyway, there was some heretofore unknown details that were reported in the article, and we all know to be skeptical, but the details were sensible and pertinent, so yes, they deserve kudos for at least looking a bit further into it for us. I'm hoping LE is able to nail some stuff down soon and make an arrest and a murder charge in each case soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back