Families Lose Loved Ones Again -- in a Bureaucratic Mire

tybee204

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
More at link

BATON ROUGE, La. — When he could finally leave his post guarding a nuclear power plant after Hurricane Katrina struck, Richard George Reysack III sped east of New Orleans to the flooded home of his 80-year-old father. Slogging through the muck, he found his father's corpse face-down in the hallway.
As devastating as that discovery was, at least Reysack had the body. Then even that was taken away. The authorities who moved the corpse to a temporary morgue not only won't return it to Reysack for burial, he said, they won't even confirm that they have it.

Reysack's family published an obituary and held a memorial service — all without a body.
My family has had to endure that memorial service knowing Lord knows when we'll get my father's body … and put this behind us," Reysack said.

A month after Katrina upended the lives of hundreds of thousands, families of the dead have been traumatized again by the ordeal of trying to pry their loved ones' bodies from a bureaucratic quagmire. They say they have spent weeks being rebuffed or ignored by state and federal officials at a massive temporary morgue that houses hundreds of decomposed corpses.

I don't understand why they would acknowledge having the body?

Casshew said:
I don't understand why they would acknowledge having the body?

The way things have been going down there, they probably wouldn't acknowlege having the body- because they didn't know if they had it or not.
It seems like everything they do is either screwed up or made more difficult. Or they just outright refuse to do it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back