1147 users online (240 members and 907 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tour boat capsizes on a New York lake - 20 reported dead

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/02/boa...ned/index.html

About 20 people died Sunday when a tour boat carrying senior citizens capsized in New York's Lake George, a witness said.

"I saw like 20 people that were laying on the grass that were covered. And they were dead," said Andrea Sause, who was cleaning rooms in a nearby building when she heard ambulances and went to investigate with her father.

What a nightmare, apparently many were trapped beneath the capsized hull, very sad story

Seniors are having a hard time lately. This is just awful.

It sure is awful. They showed a clip on Fox with the bodies covered in sheets. Very Very sad.

Was the boat overloaded I wonder? Why on earth would it capsize?

That is very sad; seniors have been the victims of several accidents lately as well as the hurricane.

They said it might have been from the wake of a larger boat, but they are not sure yet.

This is what the boat looked like, it would hold about 50people

I wonder if they all had their life jackets on? of course that wouldn't help anyone trapped inside.

This reminds me of that awful duck boat accident several years ago in Hot Springs, Arkansas. About 13 people drowned, many had been trapped and held under by the duck boat awning. It was horrible - so close to shore, there were lots of people eating at the Cock of the Walk restaurant there within yards, and suddenly the boat was down and so many drowned almost within reach.

At first there was a makeshift memorial but now there is no evidence at all of what happened, not even a small commemorative marker.

Prayers for the families of this accident.

Sooo sad Here's the link to Shoreline Cruises...

http://www.lakegeorgeshoreline.com/boats.html

Oh no - it's "glass enclosed". How horrible, it doesn't even appear there is a way to get out quickly and easily - I don't see any decks.

Who thought of that? What a sad story.

Very sad news.. too much sad news lately prayers going out for the oved ones...

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Worked on tour boats for about 15 yrs in FL. I wonder about the legalities of this accident.

I heard on tv that this boat ran into the wake of a much larger boat. Here the law is that you are responsible for your wake. The catch I see is, did this boat drive into the wake or did the other boat throw it's wake into them?
    If a boat throws a large wake going past another they are accountable.
    If the Captain of the tour boat drove his boat into the wake he is responsible.
    It is an accicident but with a person being at fault. Someone used bad judgement.
    Also I want to add I have seen small boats throw a wake that almost tossed our guest overboard. We never rode into one. It was always boats coming passed us. If a Captain pilots a boat into a wake that is negligent. IMO of course.

Thanks for that info Beca. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

I have now decided that I will not be going anywhere on a bus, boat, nor going into a nursing home

Those poor people trapped like that. Could they have gone deeper under water and swam out from under the boat? The horror of it all...darn!

The woman I sit next to had a cousin on the boat. Now they are awaiting word for the funeral...

Quote Originally Posted by Pook
    The woman I sit next to had a cousin on the boat. Now they are awaiting word for the funeral...

Oh how sad. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast