1216 users online (218 members and 998 guests)  

Websleuths News

Nancy_Drew is offline Sleuthing to help downtrodden victims of dastardly villians

AZ - Maria Ruthling, 49, Scottsdale, 23 Sept 1965

Here's a link for those of us who don't use Facebook...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ing_maria.html

Maria was divorced. Was it known if she and her ex were on fairly friendly terms?

Did she have any enemies? She was alone at work until 10 p.m. Was that typical of her? If it was, someone might have known her schedule and waited for that opportunity to attack. As her cash register and purse were intact, it doesn't seem robbery was the motive, but rather Maria herself.

Quote Originally Posted by CastlesBurning View Post
    Here's a link for those of us who don't use Facebook...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ing_maria.html

Maria was divorced. Was it known if she and her ex were on fairly friendly terms?

Did she have any enemies? She was alone at work until 10 p.m. Was that typical of her? If it was, someone might have known her schedule and waited for that opportunity to attack. As her cash register and purse were intact, it doesn't seem robbery was the motive, but rather Maria herself.
    Maria was married (and divorced from) Paul D R Ruthling, a fairly well known naturalist with a particular expertise in snakes. I don't know if they were on good terms but certainly Mr Ruthling had the knowledge of the wild to be able to make a body disappear if he was involved. Having said that he had been previously married and divorced without too much fuss and does not seem to have a reputation which would draw suspicion. He also seems to have been on good terms with Maria in 1963 judging by the announcement of the wedding plans for their daughter Carmen. They seem to have been married since the late 30s. He died in 1972 age 74 so was 18 years older than Maria.

Nancy_Drew is offline Sleuthing to help downtrodden victims of dastardly villians
    Actually, I did an FBI search on her husband found files on him. He was possibly a communist spy. One of the files he is in is with the Rosenbergs. He was also a WWI enemy prisoner of war who escaped and when they found him he was with a very high ranking German military person.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy_Drew View Post
    Actually, I did an FBI search on her husband found files on him. He was possibly a communist spy. One of the files he is in is with the Rosenbergs. He was also a WWI enemy prisoner of war who escaped and when they found him he was with a very high ranking German military person.
    I had seen his name in the Rosenberg file (I assume you are referring to https://vault.fbi.gov/rosenberg-case...als-part-89-of). I regarded it as utterly irrelevant. I have seen nothing to suggest he was more than a possible party member (rather than a spy) and I fail to see the relevance of any of his political beliefs, especially since this case took place long after the Communist Party declined in the USA and the end of the 'red scare'. The document itself is an oddity, being one of those used to link civil rights activism with communism. I have known lots of activists of left and right, and in no case would I have felt other than safe in their presence (however much I disagreed with them).

I was interested in your comment about WW1. As far as I know Ruthling was in Mexico from 1917 until he moved to New Mexico circa 1930, and was in Los Angeles from 1913 to 1917. What makes you believe he was a PoW? I wondered if you thought he went to Mexico to avoid internment as an enemy alien, but since he was born in New York and continued to work with the American Museum of Natural History after going to Mexico this seems unlikely.
    Last edited by alb1on; 04-17-2016 at 01:11 PM.

How far was the shopping center from her business? Did they fingerprinted her car?