Smiling through tears

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A man moved by the death of a young Marine in Iraq has painted a 30-foot-wide mural of the Marine on the side of a barn.

Duane Richard never met Lance Cpl. Brett Wightman, 22, who was one of 14 Marines who died August 3 when their vehicle was hit by an explosive during combat operations south of Haditha, Iraq.

But after a recent visit to Wightman's grave, Richard cried and vowed to make sure no one forgot the serviceman.

The giant mural -- painted on the side of a barn on property owned by Richard's parents in Sabina, where Wightman went to high school -- depicts the Marine in his dress uniform and hat.

Wightman's mother, Pam Saville, drives past it every day.

On Friday, she got out of the car at the barn for the first time.

She stared at the face she will carry in her heart until the day she dies.

"Brett would be laughing at this," she said. "He would have said, 'Are you believing this, Mom?' When people say my son will never be forgotten, I think this is what they mean. Brett will never be in the past."
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/10/02/marines_mural.html

Marine Mom said:
That made me cry.

LOL, me too. But, think about it. He didn't even know the guy, yet spent all of that time in order to honor him.

I think that is what it is about. Not knowing but respecting. Loving with no knowledge and always keeping people to our hearts. Being above petty but respectful of opinions. Just being there when a sounding board is needed and taking in so many hearts that need rebuilding.

strach304 said:
What a wonderful tribute!
--------Yep strach this is a deep love for ones fellowman.This young man laid down his life for many he did not know.His mom will still see the mural even after it has worn away.The man who painted it is a gem..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back