1593 users online (336 members and 1257 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

WA - Adam Powell, 17, Puyallup/Seattle, 28 January 2016

Member Tangible Soul has asked that we open a thread for her missing son, Adam Powell. He has a history of severe mental issues, and is a habitual runaway.

The poster attached is from November 15, 2015 when he disappeared from Puyallup. He was located since then, but disappeared again on December 15, 2015. In January, he showed up at a youth center in Seattle, but left when the center contacted his parents. Despite his family's efforts to find him, there has been no sign of him since January 28.

Adam Powell, 17

Ht: 5'10"
    Wt: 140 lbs
    Sandy blond hair and blue eyes.

Puyallup Police Dept. 253-841-5431
    WSP Missing Persons Unit 1-800-543-5678
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bessie; 03-05-2016 at 08:16 PM.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Thank you for this Bessie! I saw your post Tangible Soul in the 'Has your case been added to NamUs' thread above and felt so helpless, but wanted to be able to help you in any way possible (& get the incredible minds here at WS involved). Sending up a prayer and positive thoughts for Tangible Soul and her son!

I'm glad to see a thread was opened. I hope Tangible Soul will post and tell us what has been done so far to find Adam, such as checking homeless shelters, soup kitchens, homeless encampments (did he take any camping supplies with him?). Have his friends been helpful? If he does social media, can you keep an eye on it? Have you put up posters in likely places and sent a link to the poster to websites featuring the missing? What about starting a Facebook page?

Here is a link to the WS Resource page. There are many great helps here.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/for...sons-Resources

One big question I have is...when you find him, what is the plan? I assume treatment hasn't been effective or is he unwilling to be treated? Even the best plan is no guarantee that he won't disappear again, but I think you need to line up a team of professionals ahead of time so that when you find him you can be ready to get him whatever help he needs immediately.

My heart goes out to you and your family...and Adam. Mental illness is the pits!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON
    MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

I'm hoping and praying he's found safe quickly..

I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm in the greater Seattle area

Not sure it matters but it's PUYALLUP. (In case anyone wants to reach LE there, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stripehaven View Post
    Not sure it matters but it's PUYALLUP. (In case anyone wants to reach LE there, etc.)
    I was just sending a pm to Bessie, asking for a correction, while you were posting! How funny!

Hello and lovely day everyone,
    Thank you very much Bessie for creating this thread. Thank you all for your words of encouragement, comfort and knowledge. My apologies for not answering more quickly, my internet resources are not always dependable.

A brief history on my son. As you have seen from the above posting from Bessie, my son has a history of mental health issues ( stemming from when he was very young), behavioral challenges and special needs ( many diagnoses over the years, currently ODD/Intellectual Disabilities/Cognitive Disabilities). At 17, he functions in society/school at about the 10-12 age range. I have been his champion and advocate for the better portion of his life. Counseling, social services, therapy,etc..I am sure you can imagine the vast number of services he has had. In 2014 after many years of petitioning, courts and issues I was finally able to put him into a long term care facility ( 9 months) to obtain the variety of therapies he needed that was beyond the family home/community to assist with any longer.

In August 2015 ( against my wishes and I am the full custodial parent. He was only released as the insurance refused to pay any longer), he was released to his father ( my ex husband) as it was verbally agreed upon by us that he needed time with his father and my partner and myself were not healed yet enough to take on the challenges. Upon his release, he began with the same behavior issues and quickly, in his fathers home that he had in mine. He began running away ( as he did with me) in September. Finally in December, my ex husband begged the state to take him and get him some long term help again as Adam was causing severe issues in that family home. The state initially agreed. Then Adam ran from the state home in Tumwater December 17,2016. The state in its infinite ( my opinion) lack of accountability, then closed their case with my son and cancelled the original police report in January. To this date, myself, other police agencies, etc cannot find a logical reason for them to cancel it as he was still a runaway.

I last heard about my son as Bessie stated on January 28th. That youth care center did not wish to create a new runaway report since they were the last to see him, so finding legitimate help has been impossible without a case number. From what information I was able to get from the nice folks at various shelters, youth centers and the like..Adam has managed to remain relatively safe ( to the best of their knowledge)No known drug/alcohol issues, never in the past. He has been going to cold winter shelters in Seattle that do not ID. Other youth shelters in King/Pierce/Thurston counties. He will run from each one when confronted by staff. When Adam has run from his fathers place and mine in the past, he takes nothing with him. No cell phone, money, belongings. He has no known friends unless he has met people on the streets/shelters.

The last known bit of information I received was from my ex husband mid last week. Who stated he heard from the state that they wish to file dependency on Adam. When contacted, the state would talk to neither of us and Adam still is not in the states custody to the best of our knowledge. This is not nor ever has been, a case of abuse/neglect on his father's or my part. The state has tried in the past though, yet was not successful. Sadly, when they claim abuse of any kind, it slows us down from getting Adam the much needed assistance he needs and with our insurance, the waiting lists are long. His father and myself will go to the court date on Tuesday and then I will know more.

That is the long/short of our predicament. I thank you all for taking the time to read, for the blessings of your collective knowledge and genuine care. I will do my best to respond to any posts as quickly as I can.

Tangible Soul~

P.S The goal once Adam is in a safe environment for a decent length of time, to again petition the state and insurance to get him placed back into a long term facility.( Took me 2 years approximately to get him into the first one in Lakewood, WA) This is for his safety, mental health and stability. In the hopes that in a safe environment, he can heal to the point where he can be a happy and functioning young adult in society. After that, we will just take it one day at a time.

Thanks so much for your very helpful and detailed response, Tangible Soul. My heart goes out to you and I just want to give you a big hug! You have been an amazing advocate for your son. It sounds as if you are doing what you can to find him. I'm glad to hear that you and your ex seem to be on the same page about what needs to happen. I hope the court date on Tuesday will go in your favor.

You have a good plan IF the state, insurance and Adam will cooperate. I hope they will. Even with gobs of money, it can be very difficult to get help for kids once they are 18, so it's much harder for average people. When will Adam turn 18? Does the dependency thing you mentioned extend help and control over him beyond 18? I'm not familiar with that.

It's another expense, but would an experienced attorney be able to help appeal the state closing your son's case? If anything happens to Adam the state should be very worried about a lawsuit. Sometimes a letter to that effect on an attorney's letterhead can get results. That may not cost too much.

I'm just sort of brainstorming. I really hope Adam will get tired and come home. He must be as stressed as you are! Please keep us posted. I'm sure others will have ideas too.

More hugs!

Hello and good morning Lilibet,
    I will do my best to answer your questions and thank you for asking them

I wont have any idea until tomorrow, what the state intends to do. No one will get back with me despite the several phone calls/emails I have sent. I have requested as per RCW law, the records they intend to use tomorrow and have not heard back from anyone.Since I have not had a chance to review the case and records, I will potentially be asking for a continuance tomorrow as I am not privy to what is happening or what specifically they are requesting or if I will need to obtain counsel or not.Most importantly, I still have no idea where my son officially is and I have not spoken with him since the first week of December 2015.

Adam turns 18 in August. With our insurance, you have to petition for help beyond 18 or pay privately. An attorney would probably not be able to help in this situation as it is right now. Perhaps I will look into assistance when the time comes to hold the state accountable for canceling the runaway report from December 17th without cause and no physical custody of my son, he was still on the run. Suffice it to say, this is not my first rodeo with the state lol I have been fighting for Adam's cause in a variety of ways since he was 3 years old ( i.e school districts, administrative hearings, medical hearings). I have found through my research that WAC and RCW laws of Washington state help tremendously as does keeping accurate records of everything from notes, medical documents to letters received/sent.

In so far as an attorney's clout to get things done, I have not found much result in that. What I have found result in..although it is tedious and exhausting..is being an informed parent. Judges tend to have much more respect for a parent that is not spouting pure emotional vitriol constantly, hurling accusations in a childish way and the like. I become as informed of the laws concerning each situation as I can, prepare for as many contingencies as I can and ultimately, hope for the best.

I will admit though and as you stated, I am very stressed. I know this can't be avoided. I do my best to sleep, eat properly, keep the stress in perspective and communicate effectively. That said, very few days go as planned..HA. Once I have some solid answers and communications from all involved I will be doing much better.

Lastly, a big huge hug right back at you! I am short so I would probably have to stand on a few phone books to hug you but it would be worth it. Please, have a beautiful day.

Tangible Soul, You are the kind of Mom every troubled missing kid should have...informed, organized, emotionally mature, self-controlled, dogged. Wow! There's another runaway case I'm trying to help on and I just want to !!!! You could give lessons!

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I know Clayton doesn't have his phone, but does he check out social media and would a FB page with messages to him from you and his Dad help to reach him?

Please let us know whatever you can about your court appearance tomorrow. I'm sure we will all be thinking of you.

Wondering how the court appearance on Tuesday went, Tangible Soul, if you can tell us. If not, we understand. Hope things are moving in the right direction.

Hello Lilibet,
    Well, suffice it to say the court hearing did not go well. It was an utter mess. I will explain the best I can without smearing the state and the situation. In other words, keeping my emotions at bay lol I will also keep this as brief as possible.

My ex husband and I arrived at court. Come to find out, the state cancelled the "fact/finding" dependency hearing that was set, early in the morning. We only found out it was cancelled when our sons name was on no docket in any of the courthouses there. We found a worker for the state wandering around and asked about our case. He said he would go into the courtroom and speak to the states attorney ( for DSHS) and get information. He came back and stated this. The state cancelled as they "just" discovered that they did not serve us with any court papers ( Note: I reprimanded the state last week after I found out they had a "shelter care" and " shelter care fact/finding" hearings without giving us proper notice and invitations as required by law, so we were not in attendance at either helping to "prove" the states case they we "abandoned" our son). In reality and in my view, they cancelled as they did not anticipate we would show to this hearing and they knew they would have explaining to do.

Even though it was cancelled I requested to see the judge. I explained to the judge that we had been denied by lack of disclosure by the state, our right to be present to represent our son and ourselves. The judge agreed, reprimanded the state and reset a new shelter care hearing for May. This pursuant to RCW 13.34.062 and RCW 13.34.110.

I also stated that I requested information in the form of records ( all records to be used by the state in this case) from the state two weeks ago pursuant to RCW 13.34.090 Section 4 which in effect, made us unaware of what the state was doing. The judge agreed and court ordered the state that I receive all records by certified mail within 15 business days. ( The state attorney was not happy).

Since we had been denied due process in being invited to the first two hearings ( held in January without our knowledge) the judge let me speak further. I addressed their "allegations" against us in the papers we were served stating that the entire thing were old "allegations" and both my ex husband and myself have documents sent to use by certified mail from DSHS saying both cases of abuse allegations/neglect were closed, unfounded and were expunged ( as we requested). Both cases were closed, one in 2013 and one in 2015. They are attempting to use old allegations proven by their offices to be unfounded to gain dependency now. The judge asked the states attorney about this, she stated she was unaware of any unfounded reports. The judge suggested we retain court appointed defense council for the upcoming hearing in May. Sigh...this is exhausting and so unnecessary and we are wasting precious time in my view, when that time could be focused on by both the state/us..to get Adam the help and stability he needs.

Lastly and most importantly, I asked the judge for proof from the state that our son was safe and secure in one of their homes...especially since the state wants dependency ( rather than help us to get him the mental health institutionalization he desperately needs and as his history/current events blatantly show). The state attorney spoke up and said that since December 15,2015 he has been in four of their homes as he is constantly having issues in homes( i.e violence against others, property) and running away. She "believes" him to be in a foster care home in Tacoma, she said she would get the information and provide it to my ex husband and myself. She also stated ( in a very snotty way) that due to the "allegations" we are not privy to private information concerning foster care homes, nor could we speak to our son privately without a speakerphone and a CPS worker. She stated she would have this information soon and we would speak to Adam soon ( pretty boastful as I have not heard from my son since being in their "care").

Sadly, that is the long and short of this case. Without going through the unnecessary and time consuming process of courts, we will not be able to "defend" ourselves, prove our case and focus on petitioning the state/insurance again to get him back into an institution for his health and safety( We do have a rather long laundry list of past professionals of all walks willing to attest to Adam's needs as well..one positive in all this ). Tragic as well, this appears to be a battle for the state to get federal and state money for a child that they themselves can not care for properly nor keep safe. The state did say they were not attempting to terminate parental rights. I still have no idea where my son is, if he is safe, on the run again, etc etc etc. I still have to live with the stark horror of the thoughts and emotions going through my head daily. All due to the fact that I am looked upon as a potential "neglectful" parent..and the focus is on that rather than on my sons obvious needs.

I wish I could give more uplifting news. Even solid news of any kind regarding my son. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your interest in our case. The support of others is a humble blessing to me. I will keep you updated as I find out...especially if/when I speak to my son and KNOW he is safe and no long "missing".

Tangible Soul~

I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been for you. The small upside is that the judge listened and this is now all on record as well. Every bit of official documentation you can get and use at your hearing in May will help. So sorry you are having to jump through all of these seemingly irrelevant hoops just to get the help your son needs. He may not realize it, but he's very lucky to have such caring, organized, dedicated parents!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast