1285 users online (212 members and 1073 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

found a book

http://www.booksmatter.com/b188622885X.htm
    I found a book that claims to have a chapter about the story.

In other web searches (google) I also found a Ruth Baumgardner that was married before the alleged date of disappearance. So I wonder (I have no way of knowing if its the same person since many people have similar names.) if she didn't want rich family to know of her secret marriage to someone else but when they expected a marriage to someone else other than her secret hubby she finally had to leave.

It would seem that if a young woman had acquired a secret married name she could easily drop out of site by going to live with her hubby under her new name.-just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3
    http://www.booksmatter.com/b188622885X.htm
    I found a book that claims to have a chapter about the story.

In other web searches (google) I also found a Ruth Baumgardner that was married before the alleged date of disappearance. So I wonder (I have no way of knowing if its the same person since many people have similar names.) if she didn't want rich family to know of her secret marriage to someone else but when they expected a marriage to someone else other than her secret hubby she finally had to leave.

It would seem that if a young woman had acquired a secret married name she could easily drop out of site by going to live with her hubby under her new name.-just a thought.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this cold case.

Unfortunately, I've learned that Ruth Baumgardner is not an extremely unusual name.

Ruth's parents hired a private investigator to run down every clue that came along, no matter how far-fetched it seemed, all to no avail. I would imagine that would have included checking out marriage licenses, etc., although I don't know that for sure.

You're right that if Ruth did want to disappear, she could certainly have done that by getting married. If no one knew the man she married, she would be virtually untraceable.

Is the book you are referring to "Death Ride at Euclid Beach"? I am trying to locate a copy of that book to read what is written about Ruth.

Thanks for your input, and hopefully you'll come up with some other good suggestions for me in my "quest".

"Death Ride at Euclid Beach" is available right now on Amazon.com. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by joellegirl
    "Death Ride at Euclid Beach" is available right now on Amazon.com. Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I hadn't gotten around to looking there yet. I'll order a copy just to see what that book has to say about Ruth Baumgardner.

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3

This senario makes a lot of sense. I would also explain why she took one suit, but left her other belongings. I can see someone who is leaving for a new life with her new husband leaving her "old" pajamas behind. It could also explain why her parents stopped looking for her if they found out she eloped.

Major problem. If she was in her twenties in '37 she's very likely deceased by now. Unless she told someone who she really was, her secret may have gone with her.

It looks like Delaware, Ohio is in Delaware County. Here is a link to the Delaware County, Ohio Historical and Genealogical Society:

http://www.midohio.net/dchsdcgs/

The address for the Delaware County Courthouse is:

Delaware County Courthouse
    91 N. Sandusky
    Delaware, OH 43015-1703
    (740) 369-8761

The Delaware Gazette has been published since 1920. It's website is:
    http://www.delgazette.com/

I would think that all of these places would be useful in your research, especially in finding a marriage license if she was married in that county.

Two pictures of Ruth Baumgardner:

http://www.charleyproject.org/images...rdner_ruth.jpg
    http://www.charleyproject.org/images...dner_ruth2.jpg

Pretty girl. I'll post her case on the Charley Project tomorrow.

It's called "Death Ride at Euclid Beach" by John Stark Bellamy II. It's part of a series on historical true crime and disasters in the Cleveland area. I have three or four of the series' books and they have some interesting stories in them, including at least three on disappearances: Ruth Baumgardner, Melvin Horst and Beverly Potts.

I'm pretty sure Ruth wasn't married before her disappearance, from what I read in "Death Ride." She was engaged to a guy back home, and her friends swore she wasn't seeing anyone else. Besides, wouldn't her parents' detective had figured out about the marriage pretty fast?

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily
    I'm pretty sure Ruth wasn't married before her disappearance, from what I read in "Death Ride." She was engaged to a guy back home, and her friends swore she wasn't seeing anyone else. Besides, wouldn't her parents' detective had figured out about the marriage pretty fast?
    I guess that would depend on what kind of ID, if any, you had to show to get a marriage license back then. She could have applied for a marriage license under a different last name. If she roomed alone, I don't see how her friends could be 100% certain she wasn't seeing anyone else. Her comings and goings wouldn't be noted as closely as they would be with someone who had a roomate.

She lived in a girls' dormitory. It's pretty hard not to miss people's activities when you live in a girl's dorm. I have never spoken to the girl across the hall from me, but I know what she does with her boyfriend every night (and I wish I didn't know).

i know her fokes hired a private investigator what if he found her alive and the fokes were so discusted with her that they just let it go. also did they have any other children besides ruth

Quote Originally Posted by camracrazy
    It looks like Delaware, Ohio is in Delaware County. Here is a link to the Delaware County, Ohio Historical and Genealogical Society:

http://www.midohio.net/dchsdcgs/

The address for the Delaware County Courthouse is:

Delaware County Courthouse
    91 N. Sandusky
    Delaware, OH 43015-1703
    (740) 369-8761

The Delaware Gazette has been published since 1920. It's website is:
    http://www.delgazette.com/

I would think that all of these places would be useful in your research, especially in finding a marriage license if she was married in that county.
    Thanks for your post, I appreciate you taking the time to look up this information.

I have contacted several possible sources of information in Delaware, Ohio including the police department, Ohio Wesleyan, and the historical society. A search for a marriage license turned up nothing.

I have several articles from the Delaware Gazette about this disappearance, it was a fairly important story at the time. Shortly after Ruth's disappearance, however, the Hindenburg crashed and burned, and that story took over front page news for a while. It seems most of the local Ohio papers carried stories, off and on, about the progress of the investigation into Ruth's disappearance.

The police department destroyed the records relating to this case many years ago when they moved to a new building. For a while it was retained on microfilm, but that has also been destroyed and was not put into computerized form. I was directed to a gentleman who wrote a book about the Delaware, Ohio police department, and I have written to him asking if he has any information about this case. Hopefully he will have something to tell me.

The historical society may have some information for me, but I am not sure. I've contacted them, and was told a researcher would call me back to discuss this.

I had some good news from Ohio Wesleyan, it is possible that they have some records pertaining to this. I am waiting to hear from someone about this, she is supposed to contact me soon.

Thanks for your interest in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by smile22
    i know her fokes hired a private investigator what if he found her alive and the fokes were so discusted with her that they just let it go. also did they have any other children besides ruth
    The Baumgardners had a married daughter named Ora Hardwick. No other siblings.

I have wondered if the private investigator ever found Ruth. Of interest to me is the fact that the Baumgardners eventually asked the police department to close their investigation. Of course, several years had passed, but I wonder if maybe they DID find out what happened and that is why they asked for this case to be closed. I would think most parents would want a case kept alive forever if their child disappeared.

In Ruth's parents' obituaries, she is referred to as the LATE Ruth Baumgardner. But most likely this is because she had been declared legally dead.

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily
    She lived in a girls' dormitory. It's pretty hard not to miss people's activities when you live in a girl's dorm. I have never spoken to the girl across the hall from me, but I know what she does with her boyfriend every night (and I wish I didn't know).
    You make a good point. Ruth did not have a roommate, but obviously there were other girls in the dorm. Since she was last seen around 11 p.m., it's pretty likely everyone was asleep when she left. None of her sorority sisters came forward to say they had seen or heard anything out of the ordinary that evening. They did notice, however, that Ruth seemed excited about something. In the prior weeks, she had appeared nervous.

Obviously in 1937 the dorms were not co-ed, so no one would have seen/heard anything coming from her dorm room involving a man. She was engaged to a fellow in Cleveland, Ohio, but I don't know if he ever visited her at college or not. She did receive three phone calls on the day of her disappearance from a man calling from a local number (according to a newspaper article I read). Whoever answered the phone at the dorm was unable to locate Ruth, and the caller left no message.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast