1069 users online (216 members and 853 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27
    I have nothing of particular worth to add, however, whenever reading about or thinking on Ruth's disappearance, and that her parents requested the investigation be closed, I always find myself asking if instead of knowing what happened to Ruth (whatever it was they believed happened to her), they only thought they knew what had happened to her? Were they, for example, led to believe that Ruth had met her demise at the hands of an abortionist by someone with motivation to mislead them? Were they somehow convinced that Ruth had run away to live in a manner they considered disreputable by someone with interest in concealing their own involvement in her disappearance?
    "If you can't say anything nice about someone, come sit here by me."

A number of years ago, in a previous thread about Ruth, a sleuther posted a clip from a newspaper. It was a report from a state police officer. It said Ruth had been found in Philadelphia, in a sex slave situation. She had been kidnapped & sold to a brothel. When found, she was returned to her parents, but it was decided at the time, put her into a mental health hospital. A few years later, I found a similar reference in an Ottawa Canada newspaper archive.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSu View Post
    A number of years ago, in a previous thread about Ruth, a sleuther posted a clip from a newspaper. It was a report from a state police officer. It said Ruth had been found in Philadelphia, in a sex slave situation. She had been kidnapped & sold to a brothel. When found, she was returned to her parents, but it was decided at the time, put her into a mental health hospital. A few years later, I found a similar reference in an Ottawa Canada newspaper archive.

I think that clip is posted upthread.

I binge-read the thread this weekend and am still "fresh" re: resources (for an old crone).

FWIW, I am usually a "plain as the nose on your face" kinda gal, but I can get behind the whole brothel-via-illegally-obtained-abortion scenario. It does read a bit "True Detective", but after reading other contemporary newspaper accounts, I could see it as a plausible narrative.

That said, journalism in the first half of the Twentieth century was (how shall I say it?) "yellow". As the rule rather than the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieBee View Post
    I think that clip is posted upthread.

I binge-read the thread this weekend and am still "fresh" re: resources (for an old crone).

FWIW, I am usually a "plain as the nose on your face" kinda gal, but I can get behind the whole brothel-via-illegally-obtained-abortion scenario. It does read a bit "True Detective", but after reading other contemporary newspaper accounts, I could see it as a plausible narrative.

That said, journalism in the first half of the Twentieth century was (how shall I say it?) "yellow". As the rule rather than the exception.

It definitely was, but what makes me think there is a good deal of truth is that the article had nothing to do with Ruth, it was just mentioned as a BTW, relating to another case. The facts may vary some, but to me, it seems the most likely, and only "documented" (give or take) solution so far. Glad you had fresh eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvcats6@hotmail.com View Post
    Marilynilpa
    I was wondering about that exact same circumstance. Have you ever been in contact with any of Ruth's or her France's family to see if that was the case?
    Do you think that Harry Moore, Ruth's fiancé, was the baby's father or do you think another man got her in trouble?

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27