851 users online (173 members and 678 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily
    Two pictures of Ruth Baumgardner:

http://www.charleyproject.org/images...rdner_ruth.jpg
    http://www.charleyproject.org/images...dner_ruth2.jpg

Pretty girl. I'll post her case on the Charley Project tomorrow.
    Thanks, that would be great.

Yes, Ruth was very pretty, and from all accounts she was a nice young lady and a good student.

Her father described her was having light brown hair, with two lighter streaks in front, and having blue-gray eyes. She was five feet four inches tall and weighed 111 lbs. She combed back her hair usually with two rows of curls in the back. She walked with a "long stride".

Quote Originally Posted by Auggie21
    This senario makes a lot of sense. I would also explain why she took one suit, but left her other belongings. I can see someone who is leaving for a new life with her new husband leaving her "old" pajamas behind. It could also explain why her parents stopped looking for her if they found out she eloped.

Major problem. If she was in her twenties in '37 she's very likely deceased by now. Unless she told someone who she really was, her secret may have gone with her.
    I agree that her secret might have gone to her grave, but I am hopeful I can find out something. Although her parents and her sister are deceased, her sister had a son and a daughter, and I plan on contacting them to see if the family ever discussed Ruth with them.

I'm pretty sure Ruth wasn't married before her disappearance, from what I read in "Death Ride." She was engaged to a guy back home, and her friends swore she wasn't seeing anyone else. Besides, wouldn't her parents' detective had figured out about the marriage pretty fast?
    Right, Ruth was engaged to Harry "Bud" Moore, in fact they had gotten engaged shortly before her disappearance.

The reason I feel there might be another man involved is that Ruth's sorority sisters said that on the day she disappeared, a man called for her three times, but she was available to take the call. Apparently the call came from a local number, and the caller left no message.

As for her friends swearing that Ruth was seeing anyone else, I have a feeling that if Ruth did have another man in her life, she was very secretive about it. Plus, as I've posted a couple of times before, Ruth skipped chapel several times (which was out of character for her), and no one knew where she went on those occasions. She was nervous for several weeks before her disappearance, but was described as "jovial" and "excited" on the day she vanished.

This case really has me hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa
    Her father described her was having light brown hair, with two lighter streaks in front, and having blue-gray eyes. She was five feet four inches tall and weighed 111 lbs. She combed back her hair usually with two rows of curls in the back. She walked with a "long stride".
    My book has her as blonde, 5'5 and 110 pounds, with just one irregular streak.

I have wondered if the private investigator ever found Ruth. Of interest to me is the fact that the Baumgardners eventually asked the police department to close their investigation. Of course, several years had passed, but I wonder if maybe they DID find out what happened and that is why they asked for this case to be closed. I would think most parents would want a case kept alive forever if their child disappeared.
    You'd think, but I write about a lot of missing people and I've seen several cases where the parents finally asked the police to close the case. I'm guessing that they can't take the pain anymore and just want to lay the thing to rest. I have another case where the parents have consistently refused to get an age-progression done for their missing child; I have a feeling they just want to forget the whole experience.

I wish I still had my NewspaperArchive subscription.

My book has her as blonde, 5'5 and 110 pounds, with just one irregular streak.

You'd think, but I write about a lot of missing people and I've seen several cases where the parents finally asked the police to close the case. I'm guessing that they can't take the pain anymore and just want to lay the thing to rest. I have another case where the parents have consistently refused to get an age-progression done for their missing child; I have a feeling the just want to forget the whole experience.

I wish I still had my NewspaperArchive subscription.
    I have a NewspaperArchive subscription, which is how I've been able to locate numerous articles about Ruth Baumgardner. What is frustrating me is that often an article appears in a newspaper, but there is no follow up. For instance, I have an article saying a thank you note written by a female hitch-hiker (matching Ruth's description) was being studied by a handwriting expert. The private detective hired by her family said there was some similarity in the handwriting on the note to samples of Ruth's handwriting. But there is NO follow up to that story. I assume the expert determined that the writing wasn't Ruth's but it would be nice if there had been a follow up in the paper.

I have ordered, but not yet received, the book you refer to. I'm looking forward to reading it just to see if there is any information I haven't found yet.

There is a discrepancy between her father's description and what was reported in some newspaper articles. Many of the articles refer to Ruth as being blonde, while others refer to her as having brown hair. I figure her father's description is probably the most accurate one.

Don't know if it means anything at all, but I did find something while looking into a completely different subject (baseball-go figure). In 1941-42, Zanesville OH had a team, part of the Middle Atlantic League (a farm league for the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians). In 1942, they recruited a rookie by the name of Harold "Bud" Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    Don't know if it means anything at all, but I did find something while looking into a completely different subject (baseball-go figure). In 1941-42, Zanesville OH had a team, part of the Middle Atlantic League (a farm league for the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians). In 1942, they recruited a rookie by the name of Harold "Bud" Moore.
    That's interesting, I'll definitely look into that. In 1941, Bud Moore would have been about 27 years old, assuming he and Ruth were about the same age.

Funny you should mention Zanesville, Ohio, as doing some research on that city is how I got interested in Ruth's disappearance. I was researching some young girls who were reported missing in the 1950's, and one newspaper I pulled up had the story about Ruth Baumgardner.

Thanks for the info!

Marilyn,

Did you try looking for an obit on Harold Moore? Probably nothing of interest, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by camracrazy
    Marilyn,

Did you try looking for an obit on Harold Moore? Probably nothing of interest, but you never know.
    I searched the Ohio obituary databases and found nothing pertinent. He may have moved away from Ohio and, since his name is not that unusual, it would be hard to figure out which obituary pertained to the right Harold Moore.

However, since he was in his very early 20's when the U.S. entered WWII, it is possible he enlisted in the military. I have not yet checked out military records, but plan to do that soon. That might give me a lead on him, who knows.

I did just a quickie search, found a 1996 NYobit for a Harold B.Moore, age 89. This would have made him 30 at the time of the disappearance...Doesn't seem to fit the story, but 70-some years later, who knows? Maybe the folks were unhappy about an engagement to an older man and they eloped?

**slight edit, I couldn't read my own notes!

There is a discrepancy between her father's description and what was reported in some newspaper articles. Many of the articles refer to Ruth as being blonde, while others refer to her as having brown hair. I figure her father's description is probably the most accurate one.
    Well, there is a very fine line between blonde and light brown hair. I myself am not sure whether my hair is one or the other. Of course, I haven't seen its natural color in ten years, but still. Before I started coloring my hair I considered myself a blonde, but several people referred to my "light brown" hair. It's all in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Well, there is a very fine line between blonde and light brown hair. I myself am not sure whether my hair is one or the other. Of course, I haven't seen its natural color in ten years, but still. Before I started coloring my hair I considered myself a blonde, but several people referred to my "light brown" hair. It's all in the eye of the beholder I suppose.
    I know what you mean. I don't know if my hair is blondish red or reddish blond.

As you said, there is a fine line between blonde and light brown hair. Dark blonde and light brown are pretty much the same thing.

I've posted Ruth Baumgardner's case on my site, with all the relevant information I could get from the book, though I didn't talk about the guy that tried to call her.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...dner_ruth.html

I've posted Ruth Baumgardner's case on my site, with all the relevant information I could get from the book, though I didn't talk about the guy that tried to call her.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...dner_ruth.html
    Thanks much, I hope other people read about this and post their thoughts and suggestions.

Those phone calls Ruth received on the day of her disappearance may be the reason she went from "nervous" to "excited", but since there is no way of knowing who called her, I can understand why you would leave that out.

Thanks again for posting Ruth's story on your site.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    I did just a quickie search, found a 1996 NYobit for a Harold B.Moore, age 89. This would have made him 30 at the time of the disappearance...Doesn't seem to fit the story, but 70-some years later, who knows? Maybe the folks were unhappy about an engagement to an older man and they eloped?

**slight edit, I couldn't read my own notes!
    Thanks for that info. I think Bud Moore was about Ruth's age (early 20's), but I don't know if that's just a guess on my part or if I read that somewhere. I'll take a look at that obit, and go back through my notes and newspaper clippings to see if I can determine Bud's age. I'll let you know what I find out.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast