Thread: Dole prepackaged salads recalled for e coli

Dole prepackaged salads recalled for e coli

Dole Classic Romaine, American Blend, and Greener Selection - those with Best Used By dates: Sept. 23, Sept. 22

If you have any of those in your fridge, toss them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9579649/

Yikes - we eat these all the time and definitely have some in the fridge! Thanks for posting this.

Wow, it made national news! The news here was alerting people about that last week, and they made it sound then like those bags were only distributed in this area, not nationwide. Wish they had gotten the alert out fo the rest of the country in a more timely manner since they have known this for quite a few days!! Nothing is safe anymore!

ecoli can be deadly for small children or seniors. Thanks for the warning

UH OH, I buy them all the time. Better check the fridge.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex
    Dole Classic Romaine, American Blend, and Greener Selection - those with Best Used By dates: Sept. 23, Sept. 22

If you have any of those in your fridge, toss them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9579649/
    Thanks--I think I have some, too. Better check.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Okay, who's using the bathroom and not washing their hands before stuffing the bags with lettuce??? Fess up!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Wouldn't they be pretty spoiled by now, anyways? The best by date was two weeks ago!!!!

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

To help the victims of the deadly tornadoes, please click here.

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Wouldn't they be pretty spoiled by now, anyways? The best by date was two weeks ago!!!!
    Yeah, that's what I thought when I got the bulletin.

BUT, some people never throw anything out even if it's yucky

Quote Originally Posted by poco
    Okay, who's using the bathroom and not washing their hands before stuffing the bags with lettuce??? Fess up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules
    Or who "pooped" in the field where they were picking the lettuce

Quote Originally Posted by Tom'sGirl
    Or who "pooped" in the field where they were picking the lettuce
    You are too funny T'sG.

Quote Originally Posted by deandaniellws
    You are too funny T'sG.
    No, really, I wasn't totally kidding. I had heard of that years ago while our friends were in the Military in Asia.

Also, manure contaminated soil can enter the lettuce plant through the root system. Here's a link: http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/68/1/397

CLIP:
    The transmission of Escherichia coli O157:H7 from manure-contaminated soil and irrigation water to lettuce plants was demonstrated using laser scanning confocal microscopy, epifluorescence microscopy, and recovery of viable cells from the inner tissues of plants. E. coli O157:H7 migrated to internal locations in plant tissue and was thus protected from the action of sanitizing agents by virtue of its inaccessibility. Experiments demonstrate that E. coli O157:H7 can enter the lettuce plant through the root system and migrate throughout the edible portion of the plant.

ANOTHER CLIP: Lettuce production practices commonly include a rinse step in which the leaves are sanitized using tap water containing 100 to 200 ppm of free chlorine This level of chlorine has been shown to be only marginally effective at reducing the level of E. coli O157:H7 on lettuce tissue surfaces. The ineffectiveness of chlorine and other surface-sanitizing agents is likely dependent on whether the target organisms are readily accessible. Cells of E. coli O157:H7 were shown to penetrate into the stomata and junction zones of cut lettuce leaves, becoming entrapped 20 to 100 m below the surface of the cut edge. Cells entrapped at subsurface locations were protected from sanitation with chlorine.

Definitely not funny. A friend who was in Vietnam said he has never eaten rice again since seeing people *ing in the rice paddies.

We had some type of packaged salad last week, and probably the week before that too. Of course, once the salad is gone, the bag is thrown out, so who knows.

Hate to say so, but bought another bag today. Frightening. You deep-down know such things can happen, but try to remain in denial for the sake of convenience, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Definitely not funny. A friend who was in Vietnam said he has never eaten rice again since seeing people *ing in the rice paddies.

My husband said the same thing about parts of Korea. The smell from the human excrement they use as fertilizer in the fields is so bad that you can smell it flying over in a plane.