Dole prepackaged salads recalled for e coli

Yikes - we eat these all the time and definitely have some in the fridge! Thanks for posting this.

:eek: Wow, it made national news! The news here was alerting people about that last week, and they made it sound then like those bags were only distributed in this area, not nationwide. Wish they had gotten the alert out fo the rest of the country in a more timely manner since they have known this for quite a few days!! Nothing is safe anymore! :(

ecoli can be deadly for small children or seniors. Thanks for the warning

UH OH, I buy them all the time. Better check the fridge.

Marthatex said:
Dole Classic Romaine, American Blend, and Greener Selection - those with Best Used By dates: Sept. 23, Sept. 22

If you have any of those in your fridge, toss them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9579649/

Thanks--I think I have some, too. Better check.

Okay, who's using the bathroom and not washing their hands before stuffing the bags with lettuce??? Fess up!

Wouldn't they be pretty spoiled by now, anyways? The best by date was two weeks ago!!!!

Dark Knight said:
Wouldn't they be pretty spoiled by now, anyways? The best by date was two weeks ago!!!!
Yeah, that's what I thought when I got the bulletin.

BUT, some people never throw anything out even if it's yucky :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

poco said:
Okay, who's using the bathroom and not washing their hands before stuffing the bags with lettuce??? Fess up!

deandaniellws said:
:p You are too funny T'sG.
No, really, I wasn't totally kidding. I had heard of that years ago while our friends were in the Military in Asia.

Also, manure contaminated soil can enter the lettuce plant through the root system. Here's a link: http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/68/1/397

CLIP:
The transmission of Escherichia coli O157:H7 from manure-contaminated soil and irrigation water to lettuce plants was demonstrated using laser scanning confocal microscopy, epifluorescence microscopy, and recovery of viable cells from the inner tissues of plants. E. coli O157:H7 migrated to internal locations in plant tissue and was thus protected from the action of sanitizing agents by virtue of its inaccessibility. Experiments demonstrate that E. coli O157:H7 can enter the lettuce plant through the root system and migrate throughout the edible portion of the plant.

ANOTHER CLIP: Lettuce production practices commonly include a rinse step in which the leaves are sanitized using tap water containing 100 to 200 ppm of free chlorine This level of chlorine has been shown to be only marginally effective at reducing the level of E. coli O157:H7 on lettuce tissue surfaces. The ineffectiveness of chlorine and other surface-sanitizing agents is likely dependent on whether the target organisms are readily accessible. Cells of E. coli O157:H7 were shown to penetrate into the stomata and junction zones of cut lettuce leaves, becoming entrapped 20 to 100 µm below the surface of the cut edge. Cells entrapped at subsurface locations were protected from sanitation with chlorine.

Definitely not funny. A friend who was in Vietnam said he has never eaten rice again since seeing people *ing in the rice paddies.

We had some type of packaged salad last week, and probably the week before that too. Of course, once the salad is gone, the bag is thrown out, so who knows.

Hate to say so, but bought another bag today. Frightening. You deep-down know such things can happen, but try to remain in denial for the sake of convenience, I guess.

Opie said:
Definitely not funny. A friend who was in Vietnam said he has never eaten rice again since seeing people *ing in the rice paddies.

My husband said the same thing about parts of Korea. The smell from the human excrement they use as fertilizer in the fields is so bad that you can smell it flying over in a plane.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back