GUILTY OH - Jacob Diar, 4, found slain in house fire, Lorain, 27 Aug 2003

jessie harris

Reaction score
Have not seen a thread on this, if their is this can be moved to it, and I apologise,

Anybody watching, following the trial,

It is the case of the mother Nicole Diar, accused of killing her son Jacob (4) and then setting fire to her home to cover up the death,

today the trial started, the state are already painting her as a dreadful mother and person, the defence say their is no evidence of a crime,
today they had firefighters and EMT testifying, including Firefighter Griffiths, who was injured in the fire and she is charged in relation to his injury,

it is possibly going to come down to the science, as the state says gasoline was present and was the accelerant for setting the fire, defence says their is no gasoline and no accelerant,

A woman who was severely burned as a child has been found guilty of killing her 4-year-old son and setting his body on fire.

An Ohio jury convicted Nicole Diar on 10 counts Monday, including two of aggravated murder aggravated arson and tampering with evidence. The 28-year-old woman could receive the death penalty.

When firefighters discovered her son Jacob's body, he was so badly burned that the coroner was unable to determine a cause of death. Prosecutors believe Jacob was suffocated or drowned before Diar burned his body and his new puppy.Prosecutors allege Diar drugged Jacob with codeine, then strangled him as he slept in his bedroom, before setting the house on fire."Jacob went to bed one evening in his mother's home, in his mother's care and never woke up again," said Gary Bennett, the Lorain County prosecutor.

The October coroner's report ruled the death a homicide and stated that the cause of death was "violence of an unknown origin."The defense said the woman wasn't capable of setting the blaze because Diar herself sustained disfiguring injuries in a fire when she was also 4 years old.

The woman was burned as a child when her brother ignited her nightgown with a lighter. She underwent years of surgery so that she could move her arms and neck.Diar had said that God was responsible for the death of her son Jacob's August 2003 death. She said, "He burned me, and now He burned him."

http://www.turnto10.com/news/5114454/detail.html?rss=pro&psp=irresistible

This one is interesting. I noted a few (superficial) similarities to Darlie including age and

Bradley said he believes prosecutors will attempt to prove his client was an unfit mother who was more interested in partying than childrearing.

Nicole Diar went bowling, danced the electric slide, drank, and sang "YMCA" on a karaoke machine in a dive bar only hours after she attended the funeral of her only child, Jacob, several witnesses testified Thursday.

"She was having a good old time," said Samantha Garcia, one of Diar's childhood friends.

Garcia told jurors she was both dumbfounded and disgusted as she watched Diar behave in a manner she thought was inappropriate for a grieving mother.

Diar's lawyers have said that Jacob was killed by an unknown intruder, perhaps with a grudge against his mother, who then lit the house on fire. The defense has argued repeatedly that though Diar may not have been the best parent and mourned the loss of her child in an unconventional way, those facts do not make her a killer.

Garcia said that she had not talked to Diar since after the funeral because it seemed more celebratory than mournful, and it made her uncomfortable.

Dani_T said:
This one is interesting. I noted a few (superficial) similarities to Darlie including age and
this mother was found guilty and they are right now deciding on lwop or dp---the thing that really gets me about this one, is she set the house on fire, after killing her son, he was burned beyond recognition ....and she was a victim of fire.......at least she killed him first...i guess.....the real kicker was going to the bar after the funeral- busy dancing and singing-- too bad she didnt take silly string with her......
and i would agree this one is more like darlie than laney is-- i agree with cami that laney and yates go right into the same mix-

j2mirish said:
this mother was found guilty and they are right now deciding on lwop or dp---the thing that really gets me about this one, is she set the house on fire, after killing her son, he was burned beyond recognition ....and she was a victim of fire.......at least she killed him first...i guess.....the real kicker was going to the bar after the funeral- busy dancing and singing-- too bad she didnt take silly string with her......
and i would agree this one is more like darlie than laney is-- i agree with cami that laney and yates go right into the same mix-

Diar got the Death Penalty. The cow, they should take her out back and shoot her. The arson investigator said the fire was so intense that he melted into the bed and his forearms were completely gone.

Goody said:
Amazing that a victim of fire would be able to resort to fire as a means to commit murder, esp kill her own child.
I believe she killed him first- then set the house on fire-and as cami stated, the fire was so HOT, he was burned beyond recognition- they fire dept didnt even realize when they found the body...that it was a body--

j2mirish said:
I believe she killed him first- then set the house on fire-and as cami stated, the fire was so HOT, he was burned beyond recognition- they fire dept didnt even realize when they found the body...that it was a body--
Well, that is better than what Dr Green did. She burned her kids up alive. I just read a post somewhere from someone who is related to a policeman in that case and they said her boy's arms had burned completely off and they found him up in the rafters of the attic where he tried to escape. The boy was about 14, I think. How could any loving mother do such a thing after years of loving and caring for her child?

From June 2013:

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2013/06/06/killer-diar-drops-clemency-request/

Convicted killer Nicole Diar has dropped her request to have her prison sentence of life without parole commuted because of “family hardship.”

Greg Meyers, chief trial counsel for the Ohio Public Defender’s Office, wrote in a May 14 email that Diar was withdrawing her clemency application because of concerns that it could violate the deal she struck with prosecutors in 2010 that spared her the possibility of a death sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back