UNSOLVED MT - Gallatin Co., Human Remains in Yellowstone Nat'l Park, Mar'16

Hey, this is my territory. About 50 miles south of where I grew up, and I'm very familiar with the roads.

Since the remains were taken to the Gallatin County coroner's office, that means they were in the very narrow strip of Yellowstone Park that falls in Montana. Pike and Isaac both went missing in the Wyoming portion of the park. In this map https://goo.gl/maps/WWs8sAT2Lvu that's the places where the blue road passes through the green area, and also the short stretch of 191 that bends east toward Old Faithful. (I'm having trouble getting Googlemaps to give me the locations, because the roads are presently closed due to snow :p )

Isaac would have had to hitch a ride, or hike sixty or more miles to get those areas from where he was last seen.

It could still be Pike. If he hiked from Indian Creek Campground over the Gallatin Range (several trails, all popular, and Indian Creek is a likely starting point), he could have reached that area without much difficulty.

That's possible Carbuff. I wasn't sure if they took the body to Gallatin County's ME office because that's where he was found or whether it was the closest office or perhaps better staffed.

That's possible too, but at this time of year with the passes still closed, you can't get through the middle of the park except by snowcat. Anything in the northeast quadrant would have been handled by Park County MT and anything farther south would be Cody or Jackson WY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible, depending on exactly where the remains were found, but unlikely. The majority of the northwest corner is either the Madison River or Gallatin River drainage--two branches that meet with the Jefferson River to form the Missouri. They flow more or less north. The Yellowstone flows mainly east and doesn't join the Missouri for several hundred miles. So Xiang's body ought to have been found west of where it went in.

Also, it's not as close as it looks on the map. It's probably at least 45 miles.

Y’stone officials mum on identity of remains
March 9, 2016

Snipped...
...Yellowstone representatives have confirmed that the remains were human but would release no further information because the matter remains under investigation.

The National Missing Persons Database lists four people who went missing in the park that remain unaccounted for, including Xanterra employee Feiyang “Isaac” Xiang, who disappeared after being swept away in the Yellowstone River on a hiking excursion with friends in July 2015.

That's possible Carbuff. I wasn't sure if they took the body to Gallatin County's ME office because that's where he was found or whether it was the closest office or perhaps better staffed.

The recent updates sound like there's some kind of coordinated effort. The news seems to be coming out of Wyoming; friends in Bozeman have heard practically nothing.

There are a couple of rumors but nothing worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have lived in Montana around this area for quiet a while. I know of no recent missing persons but West Yellowstone is a tourist destination and so that puts the possible deceased as being pretty much anyone. I know West Yellowstone has a lot of things they do in the winter including a free childrens camp thing because I had wanted to take my grand daughter to some of them. Anyway hope they figure it out soon. Someone has to be missing a loved one. I know they normally also have snowmobiling and Yellowstone park itself has snow shoeing excursions in winter. I wonder if this person was staying in west yellowstone and snowshoeing on their own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back