OR OR - Robert "Robbie" Altom, 30, Portland, 8 November 1982

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
Robbie Altom was found beaten and unconscious in Portland Oregon back in November of 1982. He died three days later from blunt force head trauma. The family was skeptical that the case would ever be solved but just this past week, authorities announced that they have identified the killer. Cecil Turner was a person of interest during the initial investigation but there was a lack of evidence to make an arrest. A witness recently came forward with information that conflicted previous stories.

Detectives believe that Robbie was targeted due to his sexual orientation and have labeled the homicide a hate crime. Turner passed away in 2009 so he will not be charged. It is believed that he acted alone in the attack. The case is now closed.

Cold case detectives solve 1982 hate crime murder of gay man; suspect is dead

After 33 years without answers, the family of Robbie Altom believed they may never find out who killed him and why.

On Wednesday, Portland Police Bureau cold case homicide detectives announced they’ve identified Altom’s killer as Cecil Corrie Turner, who was 24 years old at the time of the murder.

Turner was a person of interest during the initial investigation, but police did not have enough evidence to arrest him.

Police got a tip one night the man who was harassing Altom was in the bar and when police showed up, they found Turner.

“I think Robbie was tired of being harassed and decided it was time to go home. I think Cecil followed Robbie outside the bar and this is what happened,” said Hollan. “I think unfortunately people didn't come forward with that information back then.”

Cold case murder from 1982 solved; suspect died 7 years ago

"My family and I are thankful that the case has been solved," said Dawn Frizzell-Luna. "We are thankful to the detectives that worked to solve the case and are grateful for what they have done for our family. My Uncle Robbie was an amazing man, who was loved, and is missed by his family and friends. It is a good feeling to know my Uncle Robbie's name is no longer among boxes with the words cold case on them, but instead among ones that say solved."

10065623_G.jpg

So sorry for your loss. They say now there is no such thing as "closure". I believe that is true. Sending prayers to family & friends of Robbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back