CA - Mother accused of leaving two kids in van while she worked.=

I wonder if the charges will affect her professional license. It certainly leaves a big question about her ability to care for children.

It leaves some big questions. From the article:

Police planned to release the children to their father, but were unable to after finding the living conditions at the home to be “unsuitable,” Carruesco said.

Instead, the children were taken into protective custody, CNN reported.

Well this little incident should cost this lady a lot of patients. Just when I think I've heard everything I log on WS and see I'm not even close to hearing everything! :facepalm:

I wonder if the charges will affect her professional license. It certainly leaves a big question about her ability to care for children.

I would certainly hope so! The only Christine Chu MD listed as a pediatrician on the web is located in IL. Since the doctor in question was contracted, we'll have to wait for an image or more info to see if this is the same physician or not.

I am :stormingmad: How dare she? Especially the 9 month old? Not that leaving any child unattended is excusable! It is NOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:gaah:

WTF is wrong with people?????????

This just makes my blood boil. A 9 month old and a 2 year old!!!

I've always said half jokingly that when I am queen of the world I will make not using your turn signal a capital offence. No trial, no jury, just shoot you on the side of the road next to your car.

But honestly I would easily endorse that exact punishment for these fricking idiot selfish parents who leave their kids in cars. NO EXCUSES!!!! THIS HAS TO STOP!!!!

~end rant~

What makes this case worse than most, to me, is that this isn't some poor, poverty-stricken single mother whose babysitter cancelled at the last minute and she was desperately afraid that if she didn't go to work at her minimum-wage job, she would be fired. This was a pediatrician, FGS!

And not only that Sonjay, but someone who is (theoretically) highly educated in the care and health of children. Does she have the "god complex" that some doctors develop?

I'm beginning to question if her medical degree and license are even legit. I see stories every once in while of someone impersonating a doctor and I wonder if that's what's going on here.

The mother is listed as Christie Yee.

The children had been spotted in a minivan Tuesday afternoon in the 4900 block of Centennial Plaza Drive. Police gave the mother's name as Christie Chu, and said she is a pediatrician. However, she is listed as Dr. Christie Yee on the nearby office for GMA Healthcare Providers. The van had been parked behind that office building, in a lot adjoining another medical clinic.

The father is also a doctor!!!

The house sounds like hoarders live there.

http://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/more-allegations-against-doctor-accused-of-leaving-kids-in-car

"I was actually shocked at what the inside looked like," Bakersfield Police Sgt. Gary Carruesco told Eyewitness News. "It was floor to half-way up the walls, boxes of clothes and trash, dirty dishes in the sink, moldy food in the fridge that wouldn't even close."

Yep, that's hoarding. And the minivan sounds like it was in a similar state

Disgusting. If my child had been seen by this "doctor" I'd be calling my attorney about now. Who knows what pathogens have been carried into the clinic from the home and the vehicle.

Interesting that she is a part-time provider. I think we all assume that as a doctor her income is good and she has certain level of intelligence. Many younger doctors are deeply in debt and struggle to make ends meet, especially in lower income areas. As a part time provider, she gets a much more minimal salary than we would think.

Intelligence is one of those things that does not cross all areas of behavior. She could be book smart but have no common sense or awareness of what is right and wrong. I have known many medical students who were book brilliant but relationship/life living losers.

I am in no way saying that she is not responsible for her actions. It is horrifying to me that she would have left these two children in a car rather than bringing them into her employment and seeking help from one of the staff. She may have had issues in the past with getting written up for bringing her kids to work. My guess is that this is not the first time she had no care and these kids sat in the car.

It sounds to me, with the amount of hoarding and the father living in the car, that there are serious mental health issues with one or both. They may have been able to function adequately as physicians (germs aside) but their home life shows the reality. What a blessing that this was discovered. Those poor little babies! :( I hope the parents can get the help they clearly need. I wonder if there is a postpartum issue going on.

The father is a hospitalist in the same practice. He would see GemCare patients when in the hospital and oversee hospital care.

He may not live into car but it may be filled with garbage, clothing etc. Sounds like the house is trashed. I wonder if they rent or own.

I am glad nothing awful has happened to the children.

It sounds to me, with the amount of hoarding and the father living in the car, that there are serious mental health issues with one or both. They may have been able to function adequately as physicians (germs aside) but their home life shows the reality. What a blessing that this was discovered. Those poor little babies! :( I hope the parents can get the help they clearly need. I wonder if there is a postpartum issue going on.

I was wondering about postpartum as well.

I'm floored. She's married to a hospitalist (translation: he only sees patients in the hospital, not outpatients). They have two children aged 2 and under, which is a HUGE stressor to any family unit without their combined workloads. No excuses, just a statement based on experience.

How could they not afford proper childcare? Or housekeeping?

Yes, their student loan debt is likely through the roof. For her, as a primary care physician, reimbursements aren't particularly high. We don't know his name or specialty (yet). I'm not buying that they're living in poverty. I guess time will tell. :dunno:

I don't believe they didn't know this would be what life would be like going into medicine. It has been well-publicized that primary-care providers should make more than their specialty counterparts (MOO for now until I can find the link). Both are physicians and therefore are highly educated adults. They are the medical professionals that their patients should be able to trust. That is all but gone now.

That's what is so un-flipping-believable about this case.

It is a miracle their two precious children were found unharmed. I can't imagine her/them not being able to find some sort of help - if she/they had just asked. There may have been a cultural aspect to that, I guess. Also, a few of you mentioned the possibility of post-partum. Even so, I can't get past her/them leaving them alone in a van - to care for other people('s children!) :pullhair:

You'd never tell that she was capable of such a thing by looking at her. :cow:

When I returned to work after having both of my girls, just hearing a baby cry caused a physical reaction. :( Granted, I was nursing, but still. I just can't imagine.

Both parents being held accountable is only right IMO. Everything happens for a reason.

Sorry for the rambling post. This case is a heartbreaker.

:candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lilibet, my friend, thank you for reminding me to find my compassion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back