1157 users online (238 members and 919 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry FL 6 people including 4 children shot at Florida gun range

More responsible gun owners:

A woman, 21, was loading an antique double-barreled shotgun at the Forest Road 88 gun range when it fired while she was closing it.

http://wfla.com/2016/03/12/four-chil...dent-in-ocala/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-...njures-people/

At this time they are all injured with no fatalities!

mis-linked, so deleting.
    Last edited by al66pine; 03-14-2016 at 10:49 PM.

IIUC and if link is accurate/current, nobody should have had a shotgun at that range.

"Ocala Forest Road 88 Shooting Range....

site shows handgun range =yes, rifle range = yes, shotgun range = no.

http://www.ar15.com/ranges/index.htm...R=1&sPVR=&sLMR=[/TD]

^sorry for jumbled copy & paste from link ^.
    Last edited by al66pine; 03-14-2016 at 10:48 PM.

ETA for info, re the 2008 renovations made at range, apparently operated by state on US Forestry prop.
    "We did all the fencing around the complete perimeter," Greg Workman, Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission regional hunter safety supervisor, said."
    "Right now, there's no money in the budget for a range master, he said."
    He also said 1000 people per week come to the range which is free.
    http://www.ocala.com/article/2008052...5834?p=2&tc=pg

Yikes. No range master? What about a safety officer? That was 2008, I wonder if there is RM or SO now.

Also http://www.ocala.com/article/20051218/NEWS/212180390
    Per article, 38 y/o man practicing 'cowboy action shooting' accidentally shot & killed himself at that range in 2005.
    There were also 2 other accident there in 1990s.

Altogether, for the heavy range usage, 1000/wk, seems like low-ish accident rate. Still sad, but glad no fatalities this time.

Why were there young children at a shooting range ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovi Girl View Post
    Good question Jovi Girl.
    My opinion only, unless referenced or supported by a link. Thank you!

http://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-educ...ooting-ranges/

If this is same range, above link stating no shotgun' seems to be outdated/inaccurate.
    "Ocala Public Shooting RangeMarion County
    Forest Road 11
    north of S. R. 40 in the Ocala National Forest ...

Contact
    Ocala Conservation Center
    (352) 625-2804

Facility Features

• 100/50/25/15 yard rifle/handgun - 12 positions
    • Self-Service Shotgun - 1 shooting pad"

Why wouldn't there be? Shooting is a fine activity for children, provided they're mature enough to learn and follow the safety rules.
    JMO. MOO.

They (Ocala Public Shooting Range) seem to have a great track record for safety.
    It is the shooter's fault, in my opinion.
    An unfortunate yet terrifying incident and worthy of much concern and study.

Quote Originally Posted by Starry Night View Post
    They (Ocala Public Shooting Range) seem to have a great track record for safety.
    An unfortunate yet terrifying incident and worthy of much concern and study.
    Most gun ranges do have very good safety records.

The article said the shooter was using an antique shotgun. I'm wondering if, due to the age of the firearm, there might have been a malfunction and this might have been a true accidental discharge, as opposed to a negligent discharge, which is what these things usually are when something like this happens.

The shooter is probably guilty of not keeping the firearm pointed in a safe direction at all times. The article said the shot pellets ricocheted; one of the articles said they ricocheted off the concrete floor. If the shotgun was pointed in a safe direction (i.e., downrange), there shouldn't have been anything for the pellets to ricochet off of to deflect them back toward the people at the firing line. I wish I knew where everyone was standing at the time, which way the gun was pointing when it discharged, and how the pellets ricocheted to hit multiple people.

With only superficial injuries and with LE considering it an accident, there may well be no more investigation of this and we might never know.
    JMO. MOO.

Cause it’s Merica, and kids have Second Amendment rights just like adults do.

Quote Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
    Why wouldn't there be? Shooting is a fine activity for children, provided they're mature enough to learn and follow the safety rules.
    Because it’s child endangerment, and four children were almost killed because of this stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    Because it’s child endangerment, and four children were almost killed because of this stupidity.
    Don't be silly. All of the people who were hit by ricocheting pellets received only superficial wounds.

There are FAR more children killed and seriously injured every year by cars, ladders, buckets, pools, household cleaners, dogs, falls, and other things than are accidentally killed or injured by guns.

If the threshold for "child endangerment" is that any child, ever, is ever injured by something, then it's child endangerment every time a parent puts a child in their crib, straps them into a car seat, lets them ride in the shopping cart seat, gives them food, or does anything with a child other than lock them in a padded room.
    JMO. MOO.

Quote Originally Posted by Starry Night View Post
    Kind of reminds me of the pit bull argument. My pit bull never hurt anyone, before it jumped the fence and killed the neighbor’s kid.

One word “responsibility”. People need to start accepting some of it.

Unfortunately neither the gun range or the shooter will. They never do. It will be labeled just and unfortunate accident.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast