Sarah Palin's hubby in serious snowmobile accident

AlwaysShocked

Reaction score
Todd Palin husband of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin was hospitalized in ICU near Wasilla Alaska after a snowmobile accident on Sunday. Reports quoted his father as saying he has eight broken ribs and lung injuries.

This type of injury with multiple broken ribs plus lung injury can be very serious and is very painful. He was scheduled for surgery yesterday.

Todd Palin apparently had surgery both yesterday and again today.

I have a loved one who had very similar injuries in an accident. It was a complicated, painful, and lengthy recovery.

I wish Mr. Palin well.

I hope he was wearing a helmet and doesn't have head injuries.

I read about this on FB yesterday but you never know how accurate the news is on FB so I always take it with a grain of salt. Sure hope he makes a full recovery.

Experienced snowmobilers which Todd Palin is, wear full helmets. Injuries reported were to ribs, collapsed lung (very likely pierced by broken rib), fractured shoulder blade and clavicle, and knee and leg injuries.
ER would have drawn blood immediately - or even paramedics on ambulance - because they need to know levels of any other substances prior to giving pain meds.
Collapsed lung requires immediate chest tube placement. If only one lung is collapsed patient can usually but not always maintain oxygenation without a respirator.
Todd is 51. My loved one was in twenties and it was tough.

Ouch. Poor guy. I don't necessarily think alcohol is involved, sometimes accidents just happen, and Alaska's terrain is very unpredictable...

Hope he ends up okay.

According to the latest update on Sarah Palin's Facebook page, Todd Palin is on a respirator. So that means he was not able to maintain satisfactory oxygenation levels with just the one lung inflated.

Sarah, who I doubt knows the implications of what she is writing, also states that "the chest tube is working overtime to drain his lung". And that they have decided not to perform several other surgeries - the shoulder blade fracture and the ACL in his knee.

If the shoulder blade is not displaced or not too badly displaced, they can delay for a while. The ACL repair, well that can happen later. I'd think they will want to see less drainage from the chest cavity prior to further surgery. They've already done the life-saving surgeries.

I feel really bad for him. He is still in a serious condition, that's for sure. And yes, there are things that can go wrong - such as blood clots and infections. It sounds like he is receiving excellent medical care. Serious chest injuries like this are very painful. And being on a respirator, while a life-saving device in this situation, comes with known dangers of its own.

When it was my loved one I know there were times that I wished I just did NOT even know as much as I did. Even though I do not agree with Sarah Palin's politics, I wish them both the best.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back