987 users online (174 members and 813 guests)  

Websleuths News

Angry IL Teen Injured in Accidental Shooting

More responsible gun owners:

CHARGES PENDING AGAINST TEEN AFTER BRAINERD ACCIDENTAL SHOOTING

"A 14-year-old boy accidentally shot himself in the knee in Chicago's Brainerd neighborhood overnight. Charges are pending against a 15-year-old boy."

http://abc7chicago.com/news/charges-...oting/1248189/

Well, well, well...."charges pending"??? That's an unusual twist. Hmmmm, I wonder what the difference could possibly be in this case? After all, it's very rare that the gun owner is ever charged or prosecuted as a result of these "unfortunate, unforeseen accidents". Whatever could the difference be????

Quote Originally Posted by animlzrule View Post
    More responsible gun owners:

CHARGES PENDING AGAINST TEEN AFTER BRAINERD ACCIDENTAL SHOOTING

"A 14-year-old boy accidentally shot himself in the knee in Chicago's Brainerd neighborhood overnight. Charges are pending against a 15-year-old boy."

http://abc7chicago.com/news/charges-...oting/1248189/

Well, well, well...."charges pending"??? That's an unusual twist. Hmmmm, I wonder what the difference could possibly be in this case? After all, it's very rare that the gun owner is ever charged or prosecuted as a result of these "unfortunate, unforeseen accidents". Whatever could the difference be????
    I don't think the question is whether the 15 year old is a responsible gun owner or not, but what were a 14 & 15 year old doing playing with a gun @ 1:50 am on a school night.
    I understood every word you said. It was the order that you said them that has me confused.

Why would he hide the gun?

I'm lost - a 15 year-old owns a gun? He can't drive, smoke, drink, vote or join the armed forces - but he's considered old enough to own a weapon?

Parent(s) or a guardian were in the home at the time? No responsibility on their part?

Imo, hiding the gun would indicate fear of the situation - a situation he's unable to handle. Rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by bwt42 View Post
    I don't think the question is whether the 15 year old is a responsible gun owner or not, but what were a 14 & 15 year old doing playing with a gun @ 1:50 am on a school night.
    You're right, that wasn't the question. The question is, who is the responsible owner of this gun, and why are a 14 yr. old and a 15 yr. old playing with it? Who's the owner, and where is the parental supervision? Is the gun registered, or is it another consequence of having a strict gun control state surrounded by states with lax gun control? And why in this particular case are charges pending? After all, it was just an accident. Like all of the other "tragic, accidental" shootings amongst children. Just different rules for different fools, I guess.

In 30 states, a child can still legally own a rifle or shotgun

Federal law prohibits handgun ownership by any person under the age 18, with a handful of exceptions. But there is no minimum age for long gun (i.e. rifle and shotgun) ownership. Twenty states and the District of Columbia have set their own minimum age laws ranging from 14 in Montana to 21 in Illinois, but in the remaining 30 states it’s technically legal for a child to possess a long gun.
    There's a map at the link.

I'm not intimating that the 15 year old is the registered gun owner. I'm saying normally in these "accidental" shootings, when it is the parent's, relative's, friend's etc. gun, there are no charges. It's chalked up to an "unfortunate accident". For some reason, charges are being considered either against the shooter (I assume) or a registered owner, if there is indeed a registered owner. If there are charges, I'm pretty sure I know why.

I'm guessing the gun was acquired illegally & the 15 yr old is charged with possession of a stolen weapon. jmo. If the parent or parents let their child stay up to 2am on a school night, I doubt they new or cared what he was into. jmo
    I understood every word you said. It was the order that you said them that has me confused.