Navy Finds Missing Dog That Fell off Fishing Boat in Pacific Ocean 5 Weeks Ago

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
A dog who fell off a fishing boat in the Pacific Ocean and had been "presumed dead" more than a month ago has now been found alive by Navy officials on an island 80 miles off the coast of San Diego, California.

The 1-year-old German Shepherd, named Luna, was first reported missing the morning of Feb. 10 about 2 miles off of San Clemente Island by her owner.

"He told us Luna was a very powerful swimmer and that he was 90 percent sure she'd head for shore," DeMunnik said. "So our staff searched the island, but with no luck. He stayed in the area for two more days to look for her, and after a week, we considered her lost at sea and presumed dead."

But this past Tuesday morning, the dog showed up to greet Navy staff arriving on the island for work.

"They saw Luna just sitting on the side of the road wagging her tail," she said. "Keep in mind, there are no domesticated animals on the island, so it was a stunning sight."

Luna's survival was "incredibly remarkable," considering the canine had to also tough out bad weather from recent El Nino storms.

HT_dog_floating_cf_160316_4x3_992.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/US/navy-finds-missing-dog-fell-off-fishing-boat/story?id=37701943

Wow. Wonder where she's been all this time?

Luna is beautiful ! What a neat story...glad she made it. :happydance:

Such a gorgeous doggie. I saw this on the local news last night. She looked so happy to be found. What a sweetheart.

I've got to think that the El Nino storms helped this pooch. I know that dogs and wolves are cousins, and wolves are pretty good fishers. But I'd have to worry about how any mammal would get enough fresh water to live. So glad to hear this about such a lovely gal.

I'm happy for Luna and her human. She's a lucky girl.

I hope her human will recognize that a life jacket would be a good thing for Luna to wear if she goes back out on the boat.

What a beautiful dog!

Here is a new video of her being reunited with Nick, her owner.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dog-lost-sea-weeks-reunited-owner/story?id=37742972

"It was really devastating to go from having this dog next to me every minute of my life to all of sudden, she's gone in a flash," Hayworth told ABC News

The distraught owner combed the Pacific Ocean for days, with even the U.S. Navy joining the search on land, air and sea. Hayworth eventually gave up hope and posted on Facebook, "RIP Luna, you will be missed."

I can't even imagine the joy he had when he got the call that she had been found.

This is an amazing story Luna is such a lovely and extremely lucky dog.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back