American made 737-800 disintegrated upon crashing Russia -62 dead

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
Flydubai plane crashes in Russia; 62 aboard reported dead

failed first approach to runaway (aborted)
Crashed on second attempt
weather probably contribited
Airport did have instrument landing system-not sure if working at the time

New airline 2013 startup
Tail impacted first -appearing to indicate that they experinced a wind shear close to the ground.
Visulaize a hand (wind) suddenly pushing the airliner down.
Hard to recover from windshear when close to ground (no room)
WInd shear on landing often results in a stall --kinda fits with tail strike being the first event in the accident sequence.

Flight FZ981

3:41 flight time

circled two hours (waiting for weather to settle?) which is long time after a missed approach (very).
OR makes me ponder if there was some issue with the aircraft that they were problem solving while circling so long
The only time an aircraft would circle that long is if they need to burn off fuel, which was obviously not needed in this instance- in that the aircraft (earlier approach) was not to heavy to land on that runway.

737-800 is the newest model in the 737 series. They go 100,200,300,400,500,....each new deritive of the plane is longer , better computer stuff etc.
Its like getting a better "model" iphone!!
Next generation "version".

This is the 12th loss of a 737-800
A very young aircraft -5 years old-purchased new by carrier.

There have been 587 deaths on this model with 12 versions destroyed
Both flight recorders located - we should get answers soon!

They cost about $96 million each
First version flew in 1967
8920 of the entire series built, with over 4,000 on order
The series had a very bumpy beginning. She was ugly, and was not an instant hit with airlines! Only 37 ordered intially which hideous!! Boing almost shut down the house!!
As travel demands changed she sold better and better. Southwest has only flown the 737 from its inception. Back then using only one model was unheard of.

The 737 series is the best selling airliner in history

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20160319-0

CNN

SKY News

images
[

This pic is somewhat confusing, reports said it crashed short of the runway so maybe this means debris flew to the airport?

p6.jpg

Def a very high speed impact accident sequence- goodness

flydubai-plane-crash3.jpg

Wanna see aerial footage and see how big the debris field is.

flydubai-plane-crash4.jpg

Wind shear: see DFW 1985.

Daeta 191 follwed that one intensily - it was an L-1011 my favoritest (!) airliner ever built.

She was stunning in the sky - just pretty. And her engines just "purred"!!!

Wanna see aerial footage and see how big the debris field is. Hard to tell but she may have been on fire beofre impact. Check out the CCTV posted earlier - doesnt it look like she was on fire before impact??

If so must have been one heck of a windsheer
speed at impact will telling also IMO

Has anyone else had a hassle with the "edit" time being so short.

Daeta 191 follwed that one intensily - it was an L-1011 my favoritest (!) airliner ever built.

She was stunning in the sky - just pretty. And her engines just "purred"!!!

CARIIS, L-1011 is my favorite airliner too. My first flight was an L-1011, Augusta-Atlanta-Miami-Puerto Rico-US VI,
The flight from Puerto Rico to US VI was on a little puddle jumper and I was terrified. I was 14 1/2 y.o. 1980.

I was astonished at the size of the airplane and all the passengers it held.

:goodpost:

Wanna see aerial footage and see how big the debris field is. Hard to tell but she may have been on fire beofre impact. Check out the CCTV posted earlier - doesnt it look like she was on fire before impact??

If so must have been one heck of a windsheer
speed at impact will telling also IMO

Has anyone else had a hassle with the "edit" time being so short.

CARIIS, I noticed the huge debris field also when I was showing my DH the video and pictures, I mentioned a possible fire/explosion because the debris field
looks forever.

ETA: Yes, the edit is short and I have been experiencing extra slow speed since 4am. At one point was unable to post for 10 minutes or so.
Maybe this is the reason for the 3-4 hour maintenance shut down soon.

What a terrible tragedy may the men, women and children Rest in Peace. 33 women, 18 men and 3 children were on board. 55 passengers and 7 crew.

Great updates Cariis and everyone. The plane is completely obliterated. In the Daily mail video of the crash it looks like a burning object comes towards the crash site first slowly followed by the rest of the plane at high speed.

"Officials have been forced to bring in dogs to search for remains at the FlyDubai crash site after the plane was obliterated as it tried to land in 'hurricane-force winds'.

Four children were among the 62 people killed when Flight FZ981 plummeted to the ground at Rostov-on-Don airport around 4am Moscow time.

The plane was carrying 55 passengers and seven crew members from Dubai when it crashed as it attempted to land for a second time in bad weather conditions.
Vasily Golubev, the governor of the Rostov region, this afternoon revealed that the plane crashed around 800ft short of the runway.

He added: 'By all appearances, the cause of the air crash was the strongly gusting wind, approaching a hurricane level.'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...w-fireball-Russian-airport.html#ixzz43MujWowq

How long was this bad weather going on for prior to the crash could the plane not have landed at another airport nearby if conditions were so bad with hurricane strength winds? Most western and European airports would be closed if the weather was that bad I'd imagine.

CARIIS, I noticed the huge debris field also when I was showing my DH the video and pictures, I mentioned a possible fire/explosion because the debris field
looks forever.

ETA: Yes, the edit is short and I have been experiencing extra slow speed since 4am. At one point was unable to post for 10 minutes or so.
Maybe this is the reason for the 3-4 hour maintenance shut down soon.

HI U2!!

Love ya! Aviation lover. Have you seen arial and is their a link? would ove to see the debris feild . I am visual. And even from that cr@@py CCTV thing it STILL looks like she was on fire before impact.

And we both know windshear does not typically result in fire aboard. Did the upset result in electical arcing? Where they having smoke problems -- which would result in the 2 hour circling? Does that translate to windshear actually have nothing to do with what happened, that it was loss of controll cause of onbaord fire?

Lets rock your notions!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0
Back