Teacher Mistakes Boy's Insulin Pump For Phone, Rips It Out

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
School officials in Lake County, Fla., said a substitute teacher pulled out a student's insulin pump after mistaking it for a cell phone.

Cliffton Hassam told East Ridge High School officials that his insulin pump began beeping in class Friday. But before he could turn it off, Hassam said substitute teacher Richard Maline ripped it from his leg.

Hassam is diabetic. The insulin pump regulates his blood sugar level.

Lake County School District officials said Maline pulled the pump because he thought the beeping came from a cell phone. They said Maline realized his mistake after he grabbed the pump.

In the written statement Hassam gave to school officials Tuesday, he said the pump fell to the floor and the tube came out of his leg. The high school junior said his blood sugar levels did not return to normal until early this week

http://www.wftv.com/education/5060084/detail.html

WE are the adults. WE are the teachers. Why GRAB anything? ASK for it. If the student refuses to comply, call for an administrator--assuming it is a phone. I hope they ban this substitute, but I bet they won't. Schools are just too short-handed.

This is just plain insane. There are too many externalized medical devices for us to assume that the electronics are for personal communication. Even the implanted pacemakers have an "ET phone home" capability of communicating from their on-board computers to the "mothership" via phone. Pain devices, heart monitors, what next?

I hope the parents sue him! Can they? I understand rules are rules, but some teachers like and enjoy enforcing them like little Hitlers! I would like to just ring some teachers necks! My youngest sons last years teacher was truly one from h*ll! She made everyones life miserable! Thank God this years teacher is simply wonderful...so far I should say. Too bad there are not more like her.

Substitute teachers are not pretend teachers! Many have valid teaching credentials...please don't demean an entire profession....also cell phones are a HUGE problem in the classroom.....

kylie said:
Substitute teachers are not pretend teachers! Many have valid teaching credentials...please don't demean an entire profession....also cell phones are a HUGE problem in the classroom.....

I agree that substitute teachers deserve respect and cell phones can be a problem, doent give the teacher the right to go and physically rip something off a student. He is a jerk in my opinion and should be punished!

That story mad me sick. I think that is a angry teacher and should be fired.

I would not want her to be in charge of child.

lostfaith said:
I hope the parents sue him! Can they? I understand rules are rules, but some teachers like and enjoy enforcing them like little Hitlers! I would like to just ring some teachers necks! My youngest sons last years teacher was truly one from h*ll! She made everyones life miserable! Thank God this years teacher is simply wonderful...so far I should say. Too bad there are not more like her.

Yes, they can sue the teacher. While I don't think any teacher should grab anything on a student for any reason, I stop short of thinking that it needs to go to court. I think there are ways of dealing with life's problems without always bringing a lawsuit.

:slap: You must not live in America!

LOL

Jeana (DP) said:
Yes, they can sue the teacher. While I don't think any teacher should grab anything on a student for any reason, I stop short of thinking that it needs to go to court. I think there are ways of dealing with life's problems without always bringing a lawsuit.
I thought you were a lawyer? lol

Unless you mean settling out of court for $$$

Jeana (DP) said:

While I agree too many people bring about silly lawsuits, the McDonolds coffee one comes to mind, duh... coffee is HOT, I think this would be a legit type of lawsuit. According to the article, this kid had problems steadying his blood sugars for a few days after this. Just think if it had been some other type of medical device. Unless of course like Cashew said and you mean settling out of court.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back