CANADA Canada - Adrien McNaughton, 5, Holmes Lake ON, 12 June 1972

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
Adrien McNaughton was with his family on a fishing trip in Holmes Lake, Ontario. On June 12 1972, he wandered away from his father and three siblings into a wooded area and was never seen again. Extensive searches of the area turned up no possible evidence on his whereabouts.

The podcast Someone Knows Something is currently exploring Adrien's case.

Doe Network

AMcNaughton1.jpg

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: November 4, 1966
Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 91 cm (3'0"); 16 kg (35 lbs)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde hair; brown eyes. Slight build.
Marks, Scars: Scar - 2 inches long on forehead - over which eye is unknown.
Clothing: Orange striped shirt, blue jeans, blue nylon Parka jacket, Brown shorts and running shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Adrian McNaughton who lived in Arnprior, was last seen wandering into a wooded area near Calabogie where he had been fishing with his father and three siblings on Holmes Lake — around 100 kilometres west of Ottawa, on June 12, 1972.

Someone Knows Something - Episode One: The Family

In the first episode, Ridgen speaks to the McNaughton family, visits the lake where the boy was last seen and uncovers a new lead about what happened before Adrien disappeared on June 12, 1972.

Someone Knows Something - Episode Two: Mr. Ring

Danny Ring, or Donnie as he's more commonly known, was also fishing with the family that day.

And yet, he's never been interviewed by the media.

Ring is still living in the area, and in episode two of SKS, host David Ridgen tracks him down at his home in the backwoods of Eastern Ontario, not far from where Adrien was last seen.

Someone Knows Something - Episode Three: The Theories

David Ridgen picks up the pieces of his investigation into Adrien's disappearance in episode three of SKS.

But the more he searches for answers, the more questions arise.

How far could little Adrien have gotten? Is it possible that there was yet another adult at the lake that day?

Someone Knows Something - Episode 4: Hello, Adrien?

In episode four of SKS, David Ridgen enlists the help of forensic artist Diana Trepkov to move his investigation into the fate of Adrien McNaughton from the past into the present day.

CBC podcast examines Arnprior cold case

Vanished 40 years ago: What happened to 5 year old Adrien McNaughton?

OPP hopes technology helps find boy missing 37 years

Still No Sign of Adrien McNaughton - 1972 Article

Thank you for the great starting post, I have been following this podcast but only just came looking on WS.
The last ep, with the forensic artist, was an interesting process to hear.

Thank you for the great starting post, I have been following this podcast but only just came looking on WS.
The last ep, with the forensic artist, was an interesting process to hear.

That was a good episode, really in-depth and personal way to make an age-progression image. The entire series has been good so far and it's great to see that the family is willing to sit down and discuss Adrien & the disappearance.

Someone Knows Something - Episode Six: The Scent

In episode six of SKS, handler Kim Cooper and her cadaver dogs Breeze and Grief continue their search of the area around Holmes Lake, where five-year-old Adrien McNaughton was last seen.

They are joined by highly trained volunteers, Pauline Sunman and her dog Quinn, as well as Susan Reid and her dog Zappa.

If Adrien died that day in June 1972, these four dogs might be able to find him.

Someone Knows Something - Episode Seven: First Attempt

In episode seven of SKS, David and members of the Ottawa Valley Search and Rescue Dog Association return to a snow-covered Holmes Lake.

Weeks earlier, four cadaver dogs seemed to suggest that they were detecting the scent of human remains coming from the lake.

All four made intriguing signals at a specific spot along the shoreline — about 150 meters from where a missing five-year-old boy, Adrien McNaughton, was last seen in 1972.

Someone Knows Something - Episode Eight: Clyde Forks

In episode eight, Shontelle McNaughton and David Ridgen get lost on the back roads of rural Eastern Ontario, searching for the remote town of Clyde Forks.

Two separate psychics, working independently, pointed to Clyde Forks in their readings of Adrien McNaughon's fate and whereabouts.

What are the chances that Adrien has been living out his life, in a secluded town an hour's drive from his family home in Arnprior?

Someone Knows Something - Episode Seven: First Attempt

In episode seven of SKS, David and members of the Ottawa Valley Search and Rescue Dog Association return to a snow-covered Holmes Lake.

Weeks earlier, four cadaver dogs seemed to suggest that they were detecting the scent of human remains coming from the lake.

All four made intriguing signals at a specific spot along the shoreline — about 150 meters from where a missing five-year-old boy, Adrien McNaughton, was last seen in 1972.

Someone Knows Something - Episode Eight: Clyde Forks

In episode eight, Shontelle McNaughton and David Ridgen get lost on the back roads of rural Eastern Ontario, searching for the remote town of Clyde Forks.

Two separate psychics, working independently, pointed to Clyde Forks in their readings of Adrien McNaughon's fate and whereabouts.

What are the chances that Adrien has been living out his life, in a secluded town an hour's drive from his family home in Arnprior?

Very intriguing and hopeful! From the link - letter with a psychic's impressions of the case..

http://www.cbc.ca/radio-content/archive/sks/Aug7-1973-Reading1.jpg

Aug7-1973-Reading1.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/adrien-mcnaughton-search-lake-1.3550321

divers-holmes-lake-adrien-mcnaughton.jpg

Volunteer divers search lake in 1972 cold case of Adrien McNaughton
Search comes after CBC true-crime podcasts revealed 4 different cadaver dogs marked same spot

Belgian Malinois cadaver dogs, trained to only react to the scent of human remains, were brought to the lake — a first in the case, Ridgen said.

Four different dogs marked the same spot on the lake on four different days.

"We're following new information. It always surprises me that you can actually find new information," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/episode-eleven-terminus-1.3577845

Thursday May 12, 2016
Episode eleven: Terminus
A cold case is like a lakebed, with the truth lying somewhere beneath layers of sediment.

If you want answers, you'll have to reach down through years of leaves and muck.

You might get lucky and find something, especially if you know where to look.

But you're just as likely to only stir up the silt, further clouding your view.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/features/season-wrap-up-1.3548739
What we learned in season one of Someone Knows Something

David Ridgen reflects on the Adrien McNaughton case

By David Ridgen

In the search for Adrien, we learned that, in the absence of factual information, humans tend to fill that void with their own narrative in order to make sense of something traumatic.

Adrien’s family learned this first hand in the wake of his disappearance.

Many in the region either participated in the gigantic search for him or knew someone who had and, with this much at stake and so little information, rumours of all stripes were quickly generated.

Some of them persist to this day.

We also found that human memory, while volatile and prone to exclusion, can work better on repeat visits.

Each interview with the McNaughton family and others associated with the case brought out more corroborable information.

So when TV and radio programs conduct investigations and only interview subjects once (and sometimes you can only get one crack), we should ask ourselves, “Did they get everything that the person knows?”

I would say, “No.”

Missing Arnprior boy’s cold case may have new clues

http://www.insideottawavalley.com/news-story/7016531-missing-arnprior-boy-s-cold-case-may-have-new-clues/

A CBC podcast dedicated to finding an Arnprior boy missing for four decades may have recovered a tooth and another possible clue.

Someone Knows Something (SKS) finished season one in May but continued to search for Adrien McNaughton, the five-year-old who disappeared without a trace from Holmes Lake, near Calabogie, in 1972.

“About halfway through the day, the search team on shore identified a small hard object, slightly tapered, shiny with white and yellow gradations,” reads the website. “Could it be a tooth?”

It was discovered in eight feet of water, about 20 feet from shore, near the location where the dogs indicated.

This object, and others deemed to have potential for further study, were placed in plastic bags.

“The SKS team is currently in the process of finding the right forensic dentist to determine whether the small white-ish object is, in fact, a tooth.”

There was an update after a search was conducted in March.

Season 1: Holmes Lake Update

On April 23, 2018, the Ontario Provincial Police contacted David Ridgen to say that the Underwater Search and Rescue Unit and Canine Unit will see if there's anything they can do with the SKS team's latest findings at Holmes Lake.

A week later, David received the following statement: "The Underwater Search and Rescue Unit have viewed the latest podcast and have informed me that they will attend Holmes Lake and complete a dive in the area of your findings. A date has not been scheduled due to other commitments and the weather. I will let keep you updated once I have more information."

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1197844547786

In March 2018, David and his team of volunteers conduct a fourth search of Holmes Lake for Adrien McNaughton. It's the deepest and most thorough search to date and, with the help of cadaver dogs, leads to important discoveries.

Outside of the theory that there may be remains at the bottom of Holmes Lake, Human remains were discovered last weekend about 2 hours southeast of Holmes Lake. No news or updates have been shared however there was an interview with the owners of the property that eluded to the fact that they were bones. When speaking of the deceased they said it could be closure for a Mom and Dad. They have not said whether these are a child’s remains or an adult.

Someone else found a back pack and coat on the property last week and it was not known if it was connected to the skeletal remains or not. If they were belongings if the deceased then Adrien would be ruled out as he was never reported to have had a back pack.

No idea if this is related to Adrien but if it is released that they are a male child I would wonder if he was picked up at the road and driven a short distance away.

This is my first post and I am no pro but I read all the time and something just seems weird about the case up here. Really little info being shared by the OPP.

I uploaded a map showing where Holmes Lake is and where the remains were found. Hope someone else can take a look or see if they can find anything else!

Attachments

• 82E6F893-B31C-4152-97D1-9097DF8D934C.png
    82E6F893-B31C-4152-97D1-9097DF8D934C.png
    387.5 KB · Views: 11
Outside of the theory that there may be remains at the bottom of Holmes Lake, Human remains were discovered last weekend about 2 hours southeast of Holmes Lake. No news or updates have been shared however there was an interview with the owners of the property that eluded to the fact that they were bones. When speaking of the deceased they said it could be closure for a Mom and Dad. They have not said whether these are a child’s remains or an adult.

Someone else found a back pack and coat on the property last week and it was not known if it was connected to the skeletal remains or not. If they were belongings if the deceased then Adrien would be ruled out as he was never reported to have had a back pack.

No idea if this is related to Adrien but if it is released that they are a male child I would wonder if he was picked up at the road and driven a short distance away.

This is my first post and I am no pro but I read all the time and something just seems weird about the case up here. Really little info being shared by the OPP.

I uploaded a map showing where Holmes Lake is and where the remains were found. Hope someone else can take a look or see if they can find anything else!
Was it ever determined who these remains belonged to?

Was it ever determined who these remains belonged to?
Looking for a more recent update..
March 29, 2018
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/season1/season-1-holmes-lake-update-1.4596923

''On April 23, 2018, the Ontario Provincial Police contacted David Ridgen to say that the Underwater Search and Rescue Unit and Canine Unit will see if there's anything they can do with the SKS team's latest findings at Holmes Lake.

A week later, David received the following statement: "The Underwater Search and Rescue Unit have viewed the latest podcast and have informed me that they will attend Holmes Lake and complete a dive in the area of your findings. A date has not been scheduled due to other commitments and the weather. I will let keep you updated once I have more information."

"The search team has become certain that there are human remains in Holmes Lake.

It's now up to the Ontario Provincial Police to discover whose remains they may be''.
holmes-lake-sampling-map.jpg

(Mike Grebler)

rbbm.
Adrien_McNaughton___Super_Portrait.jpg

OPP photos released in 2009 show Adrien McNaughton in 1972 and what he would look like as a grown man. - Renfrew OPP

''While on a late-afternoon fishing trip at Holmes Lake, near Calabogie, five-year-old Adrien McNaughton simply vanished into the approaching night of June 12, 1972. The boy — wearing a blue nylon parka jacket, orange-striped shirt, brown shorts, and rubber-soled boots — was with three siblings, his father, and his father’s friend.

Adrien had grown frustrated with a tangled fishing line about an hour in and slumped onto a rock not far from his dad. He was a shy but busy little guy. So he left the shoreline to play nearby. That’s where he was last seen.''
Nov 28, 2019
ONTARIO COLD CASE: Little boy vanishes during fishing trip
“Based on the findings of the dive, I feel the highest percentage chance is that he never left Holmes Lake,” Ridgen said. “We believe Adrien is in the lake.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back