Seattle Police Trying to Rescue Mentally Unstable Man from Tree. (LIVE COVERAGE NOW)

Man in tree shut down downtown Seattle streets

Seattle police say that some streets are closed in downtown Seattle late Tuesday morning while cops and firefighters respond to a man who climbed a tree and refuses to come down.
Firefighters were sent on a rope rescue call to Fourth Avenue and Stewart Street about 11:21 a.m., where the man was found near the canopy of the tree next to Macy's, typically decorated in Christmas lights during the holiday season.
Seattle Police Department negotiators reportedly responded to the scene. The man allegedly refuses to talk to police and threw an apple at medics.

Man in tree shut down downtown Seattle streets

It looks like this might not end good. The police seem to have given up trying to talk to him.

He's still up there...

I don’t think he is going anywhere soon. People like him have no place to go.

I’m kind of surprised he hasn’t fallen out of the tree yet. If he keeps standing on those branches, it’s just a matter of time until one breaks, and he goes falling to the ground.

I feel horrible for this guy. I hope they have mental health pros there.

When he does come down he'll have 60 days of shelter under psychiatrist care ... is that right?

Poor guy. At least LE realizes he is mental so they don't shoot him down!

I am shocked and extremely dismayed that this mentally ill person has been made a joke of on the internet, Twitter accounts and all.

I sat in a live chat (elsewhere) for hours today, and finally had to close it down.

He is obviously sick, but ppl seem to think this is some fun spectacle for their entertainment.

I'm still watching, here:

http://komonews.com/live/event

What if this was your son, your brother, cousin friend or whatever.

~jmo~

He was just referred to as "mental" here, so... still room for improvement, I guess.

(google "people first language" for more information)

I am shocked and extremely dismayed that this mentally ill person has been made a joke of on the internet, Twitter accounts and all.

I sat in a live chat (elsewhere) for hours today, and finally had to close it down.

He is obviously sick, but ppl seem to think this is some fun spectacle for their entertainment.

I'm still watching, here:

http://komonews.com/live/event

What if this was your son, your brother, cousin friend or whatever.

~jmo~

I agree with you. We haven't come as far as we would like to think.

Who is flying that drone? I'm afraid it's going to startle the poor guy! I think that's a REALLY bad idea!

Someone is flying a drone by the tree now. I am sure that won't agitate him more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back