Barb's November 14 interview

missy1974

Reaction score
Ok, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link, but I'm going to and if a mod feels they need to delete, that's fine.

A poster at reddit received a copy of the interview of Barb on November 14. I don't think the person knows how to scan and upload LOL so they took a picture and then transcribed the interview.

So... here is a picture of the statement:
http://imgur.com/Ovs7ILk

and here it is transcribed (not by me)

CALUMET COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT
Page 264
File Number
Complaint No.
05-0157-955
TYPE OF ACTIVITY: Interview of Barbara Janda
DATE OF ACTIVITY: 11/14/05
REPORTING OFFICER: Inv. Wendy Baldwin

On 11/14/05 at approximately 1645 hours, Special Agent KIM SKORLINSKI and I (Inv. BALDWIN) met with BARBARA at the LIGHTHOUSE INN located in Two Rivers. We had prior contact with BARBARA and she did agree to meet us there to speak about the case further.

We asked BARBARA about the leg cuffs and handcuffs that were purchased in Manitowoc and she does recall being at that store in October, however, [she] did not remember the date. BARBARA said she did buy a pair of pink cuffs and some lotion. We asked her if she could recall what STEVEN had bought and she said she thought it was a pair of leg cuffs and handcuffs, however [she] did not know what color they were. I informed her [of] a receipt from the store indicating a pair of pink cuffs were purchased along with an animal print of some sort. BARBARA said she did know hers were pink, however [she] did not know what type STEVEN bought.

We also asked BARBARA about the burnt car seat, maroon in color, in STEVEN's pit. She said there had been one setting by the fence on the east side of her residence, however she did not notice that it was gone. BARBARA said it was setting by a trailer near a van, however, she did not know that it was gone. She said STEVEN was throwing a lot of stuff away lately and did not know the items he was throwing out.

We asked BARBARA if she could recall the date of 10/31/05, Halloween, and her activities that day. BARBARA said she had gone to work and had returned home approximately 4:50 p.m. or 5:00 p.m. BARBARA said BLAINE, BOBBY and BRENDAN were all home at 5:00 p.m. She said her boyfriend, SCOTT TADYCH, had picked her up at about 5:15 p.m. and she went with him to the hospital to see his mother who was in the hospital and had back surgery. BARBARA said she returned home at about 7:45 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and told BLAINE and BRENDAN she was going over by SCOTT's house for a while.

BARBARA said when she returned home at 8:00 p.m., she did see a rather large fire, approximately three feet high, in the pit at STEVEN's garage. She said she could tell there were two people standing there; however does not know who that was. BARBARA said SCOTT made the comment, "Look how big the fire is." BARBARA state she went into the house to tell whoever was in the house at the time that she was going to be leaving for a short time.

We asked BARBARA about the gray Suzuki vehicle parked by the garage and she did not notice the car was moved but knew that it had been setting on the east side of his garage for quite awhile.

Page 265
File Number
Complaint No.
05-0157-955

We asked BARBARA who the other person may have been that was standing out by the fire and she said she did not know; however, BRENDAN did spend quite a bit of time with STEVEN because he was the only child who did not have a lot of friends at the time and he did help STEVEN with stuff around his house.

BARBARA could not recall the last time STEVEN had had a bonfire in the pit; however the last time she had a bonfire at her residence was back in 2004. BARBARA said the last party they had was for BOBBY; however, they did not have a bonfire at that time.

We asked BARBARA what STEVEN usually burns in the pit and she said usually tires; however, she does not like that because the house gets black when he does that.

We asked BARBARA if she knew that BRENDAN had been driving her golf cart and she said, no she did not know that; that he was not allowed to use the golf cart.

BARBARA stated when she returned home around midnight, she did not recall seeing the fire at that time.

We asked BARBARA about an argument she had with STEVEN about selling her red van. BARBARA said she had disagreed with him putting it in the AUTO TRADER because she did not feel she needed to sell it, she was going to keep it for one of her sons who was getting their driver license. BARBARA said she thought it was a waste of money to spend the $40.00 to run an ad for the van. We asked BARBARA how much she thought the van was worth and she said about $1,000.00.

We asked BARBARA if she has ever gotten into an argument with STEVEN particularly in the last couple days prior to 10/31/05. She said she and STEVEN had gotten into an argument and he had told her her kids are stupid and she needs to spend more time with them and be a mom. BARBARA said STEVEN was very demanding and stating she was doing a bad job raising her kids.

We asked BARBARA about her son, BLAINE's relationship with his boss, MICHAEL, and she said it was fine, that he did a lot of landscaping for him and she thought he treated him like a son. We informed BARBARA of our concerns with his boss and the way he was treating him and touching him during an interview that one of the other agents had with BLAINE earlier.

We asked BARBARA who the biggest influence in her son's life would have been and she said TOM JANDA was good with her kids and took them fishing a lot; however, he had moved out October.

Page 266
File Number
Complaint No.
05-0157-955

I asked BARBARA if STEVEN has ever come on to her sexually and she said just stupid comments and pushing and shoving. BARBARA stated she did not feel there was anything unusual or out of the ordinary with her relationship with STEVEN.

I asked BARBARA who STEVEN said the handcuffs and leg cuffs were for and she said he told her it was for JODI.

I asked BARBARA when JODI was due to be released from jail and she said March.

I asked BARBARA if she really thought those items were really going to be used for her and she said no.

The interview with BARBARA was conclued at approximately 1740 hours.
Inv. Wendy Baldwin
Calumet Co. Sheriff's Dept.
WB/bdg

I found this at https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMur..._janda_interview_report_11142005_topics_barb/

A few things that stood out to me...

* She says that Scott picked her up at 5:15, the Blaine, Bobby and Brendan were home. No mention of the fire (contradicts one of ST's statements).

* She goes back home around 7:45-8pm and tells Blaine and Brendan she is going to Scott's, she does mention the fire at 8pm though and someone standing there.... but it can't be Brendan, can it? She just told him she was going to Scott's and he was at home. (Note: this is not her first interview and by this time the bones had been found) She contradicts herself a bit here (but this is a summary of her statement, so I'm not sure)

* She does not like when he burns tires because it blackens the house.... she does not make mention that tires were burning "that" night. I might have to go back and look at pictures and see if the house is black.

*Her and SA did get into an argument, according to her or this statement, SA told her that her kids were stupid and she should be spending more time with them and be a mom.

* The statement about Blaine's boss, is well... disturbing.

* Tom Janda moved out in October. (On October 31, she may or may not have stayed the night at ST's, depending on which statement you believe lol) :freakedout:

* The last 2 statements makes me think this is why SA made a statement about her parenting

"Disturbing" is a perfect description...so, if I am reading this correctly, it sounds as if Steve and Barb were shopping for pink fuzzy handcuffs and various other light bondage items...together? Um, OK. Just...awkward.

And the whole Blaine thing...what the heck is THAT about? So not only was his boss was being weird enough that it drew the attention of LE during an interview, Barb just sort of blew it off like "no big deal, he treats him like a son."

Totally weird and awkward and creepy.

Hmmmmm...I also wonder why Steve (according to her) was so adamant about listing and selling a van that wasn't even his? I've always known the van in question belonged to Barb, but I assumed he was just doing her a favor by making the call to Auto Trader. I didn't know they argued because she didn't want to sell it. Interesting.

LIGHTHOUSE INN located in Two Rivers.

LIGHTHOUSE INN was mentioned somewhere else. Was it Pam that went there looking for TH? I just can't remember where I saw that.

Hmmmmm...I also wonder why Steve (according to her) was so adamant about listing and selling a van that wasn't even his? I've always known the van in question belonged to Barb, but I assumed he was just doing her a favor by making the call to Auto Trader. I didn't know they argued because she didn't want to sell it. Interesting.

SA's interest may have something to do with his "targeting TH". See what I postulated over at this thread and link.

Barb Janda's van may have been Steven's 7th AutoTrader vehicle, if all the others were also posted by him.

<sbm+colored+underlined by me>
[...] Page 266
File Number
Complaint No.
05-0157-955

I asked BARBARA if STEVEN has ever come on to her sexually and she said just stupid comments and pushing and shoving. BARBARA stated she did not feel there was anything unusual or out of the ordinary with her relationship with STEVEN.

I asked BARBARA who STEVEN said the handcuffs and leg cuffs were for and she said he told her it was for JODI.

I asked BARBARA when JODI was due to be released from jail and she said March.

I asked BARBARA if she really thought those items were really going to be used for her and she said no.

The interview with BARBARA was conclued at approximately 1740 hours.
Inv. Wendy Baldwin
Calumet Co. Sheriff's Dept.
WB/bdg

So the subject matter of Baldwin's interview gets to intimate details and sort of ends with a puzzling her: who...Jodi...or Barb? The descending order of questioning obviously implies Jodi and yet the first question goes to an incestuous relationship. Judging from the history of the entire Avery-clan degradations, and more specifically SA's prior deviant history, Baldwin's query is thought-provoking. Then Barb's final answer no really begs for Baldwin to ask, "If not Jodie, then WHO?"

LIGHTHOUSE INN located in Two Rivers.

LIGHTHOUSE INN was mentioned somewhere else. Was it Pam that went there looking for TH? I just can't remember where I saw that.

hmmm it looked familiar to me too... I did a search of the trial transcripts and it didn't find any hits.

So the subject matter of Baldwin's interview gets to intimate details and sort of ends with a puzzling her: who...Jodi...or Barb? The descending order of questioning obviously implies Jodi and yet the first question goes to an incestuous relationship. Judging from the history of the entire Avery-clan degradations, and more specifically SA's prior deviant history, Baldwin's query is thought-provoking. Then Barb's final answer no really begs for Baldwin to ask, "If not Jodie, then WHO?"

I wish they would just record these interviews, rather than these police reports. So much can be lost in a summary. There sure is a whole lot of touchy-feely stuff going on or implied in a lot of these reports, I'm not sure what to think tbh. I almost find it creepy that they would even ask Barb that question..... but again, because it's a written report, there might be something lost in there that prompted them to ask her. *shrug*

And I agree... whoever the "her" is.... they should have asked the obvious follow up question, If not "her", then who?

I should also note that it was Baldwin that made this report, and IMO, she has some credibility issues too..... lol I believe she is the one on the video tape saying something about taking SA's shoes and matching them.... commenting that he wasn't going to make it to an Innocence project event..... IMO she is the anonymous officer who gave an interview a few weeks ago saying that SA's trailer was immaculately clean when she went in and bleach bottles were on the counter, etc..... and she is also one of the female officers that burned a dummy dressed up in officer clothing and was demoted afterwards to dispatch. Unfortunately..... when I read things and see her name attached, I do 'pause' now.

SA's interest may have something to do with his "targeting TH". See what I postulated over at this thread and link.

Barb Janda's van may have been Steven's 7th AutoTrader vehicle, if all the others were also posted by him.

Zool..... If he was targeting her, why didn't he just call her directly? And why do you think he didn't ask for her by name? He called her directly on Oct 10th, but not on Oct. 31st. This is where the "targeting" loses me. If he was targeting her, I believe he would have just called her directly in the hopes that no one would know. By calling AutoTrader, he left a trail. If he was obsessed with her, I believe he would have said her name, not 'the girl that came out the last time'. He did have her phone number, but did not have a name written down with the number.

I wish they were recorded too, I feel like we are losing a lot in translation.

As far as the cuffs, I think Baldwin meant Barb, it almost seems like a logical question when you're talking to someone who says they went and bought matchin sex toys, doesn't it?

As for BJ saying they argued about the van... Without more information, it could be anything. Could be SA told her the boys were too dumb and wouldn't be driving anytime soon. Or maybe he said the boys would hate a red mini van and when they got their licenses, there'd be better cars suited for them available.

Zool..... If he was targeting her, why didn't he just call her directly? And why do you think he didn't ask for her by name? He called her directly on Oct 10th, but not on Oct. 31st. This is where the "targeting" loses me. If he was targeting her, I believe he would have just called her directly in the hopes that no one would know. By calling AutoTrader, he left a trail. If he was obsessed with her, I believe he would have said her name, not 'the girl that came out the last time'. He did have her phone number, but did not have a name written down with the number.

I agree with all of this.

I wish they were recorded too, I feel like we are losing a lot in translation.

As far as the cuffs, I think Baldwin meant Barb, it almost seems like a logical question when you're talking to someone who says they went and bought matchin sex toys, doesn't it?

As for BJ saying they argued about the van... Without more information, it could be anything. Could be SA told her the boys were too dumb and wouldn't be driving anytime soon. Or maybe he said the boys would hate a red mini van and when they got their licenses, there'd be better cars suited for them available.

Quoting myself here. This is Blaine's testimony about the van being sold:

Det Baldwin: So you could go and see how much your uncle wanted for that vehicle, right?

Dassey: Yeah, cuz he said before that he was gonna give it to us, or fix it up for us so we can drive it to school, so he decided that it was too bad of shape that he was gonna sell it.

Det Baldwin: Okay, so you wanted to know how much he wanted for it. Was that what the fight was about between your mom and him? Is that you - he was supposed to fix it up for you guys and he decided he was gonna sell it instead?

Dassey: Probably, yeah.

Det Baldwin: Okay. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, you decided you don't wanna bother your uncle because he might be tired?

Dassey: Or he was gonna I was gonna wait and see if anybody wanted it because our mom wanted, needed the money cause she was down and in debt whatever.

So it sounds like the van was supposed to be the boys but SA deemed it not worthy to fix up.

I'm unsure about this part though: All of a sudden, out of nowhere, you decided you don't wanna bother your uncle. What is Baldwin referring to?

Missy ~ I don't really like to speculate though I guess I did in my postulating about the other member's query regarding the issue of "targeting". In answer to your own question: I'll say that SA isn't all that intelligent, and that he may have figured that he didn't want to call her directly because he had already sensed from TH that she was totally turned off by his previous contacts e.g. "eww" fits in here. There is an exhibit with a note which says, "Back around the porch", and with TH's telephone tel no. on it. I believe that note may have been jotted down by SA just prior to his return call to TH after she called him regarding her estimated arrival time. Personally, I think that exhibit is quite interesting, and may also fit in with the "targeting" issue. Finally, by not calling her directly, SA saves $10; he gives me the impression that he is that sort of a man. A direct call would be considered a "hustle shot" by both TH and AutoTrader.

I believe SA planned to rape TH and murder her.

18 years in a prison teaches deviants how to be clever, crafty criminals. Absence of sexual activity with a perverse partner (JS) can cause a monstrous ghoul such as SA, with 18 years criminal background and advice under his belt, to become truly ugly and dangerous.

Zool ~ my understanding about TH's payment is that she would get paid more from AutoTrader, not by the customer, if she did a "hustle shot". The customer paid the same regardless. I have to go to work for a few hours, but will look when I get home. But I do believe that payment from the customer was made to AutoTrader and then AutoTrader paid TH (if they paid by check, it would go to AutoTrader, not TH).

ETA: check day 2. What she does with paperwork, payment, hustle shots, and how much she gets paid, is in there. :)

Missy, thanks for the info about Baldwin...that definitely brings her credibility and professionalism into question. I specifically remember the part in the documentary when she was videoing the residence and made the sarcastic, smirky comment about "guess he won't be making it to this". (Regarding the innocence project invitation) And then she kind of laughed...I remember thinking wow, how unprofessional and uncalled for, to be videoing a potential crime scene that could be used as evidence in a trial and to make such disdainful comments. It was a glaring example of Mantiwoc county's opinion of SA.

And I totally agree with the " lost in translation" aspect of the interviews. Besides capturing the interview word for word, a video could provide so much more insight regarding body language, facial expressions, etc. Human communication consists of so much more than mere words so its almost impossible to get a good "read" of the subject at hand without being able to see body language, posture, facial expressions, etc etc.

Zool, though I'm still not 100% sure of where I stand on SA's guilt or innocence (thought I do believe the prosecution did not prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt), I do agree with your statement as to how prison changes a person. SA may have gone into prison the first time as an innocent (albeit disturbed) young man but there is no way he came out of prison after 18 years and not have been changed. He is portrayed as an easy going guy that harbors no ill will or hard feelings but there is NO way he came out after serving 18 years with this "just good to be home and *hugs* all around!" attitude. If I served one MONTH of prison time for a crime I didn't commit, I would probably need anger management therapy just to deal with how p*$$*d off I would be about it. I believe you are totally correct in saying that he came out a changed man and none of us really know what prison did to his psyche. I can't say that it would definitely lead him to becoming a murderer, but I do know that all that prison time had to have a hugely negative impact on him.

Quoting myself here. This is Blaine's testimony about the van being sold:

Det Baldwin: So you could go and see how much your uncle wanted for that vehicle, right?

Dassey: Yeah, cuz he said before that he was gonna give it to us, or fix it up for us so we can drive it to school, so he decided that it was too bad of shape that he was gonna sell it.

Det Baldwin: Okay, so you wanted to know how much he wanted for it. Was that what the fight was about between your mom and him? Is that you - he was supposed to fix it up for you guys and he decided he was gonna sell it instead?

Dassey: Probably, yeah.

Det Baldwin: Okay. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, you decided you don't wanna bother your uncle because he might be tired?

Dassey: Or he was gonna I was gonna wait and see if anybody wanted it because our mom wanted, needed the money cause she was down and in debt whatever.

So it sounds like the van was supposed to be the boys but SA deemed it not worthy to fix up.

I'm unsure about this part though: All of a sudden, out of nowhere, you decided you don't wanna bother your uncle. What is Baldwin referring to?

I'm 99% certain that's actually from Brendan's interview (the first one in the back of the car in Crivitz) not Blaine's - I've recently listened to it and read it again.

Re: Your last point.
The statements about the van are made in the context of Brendan seeing TH taking the photos and intending to go over to SA's to ask how much he was asking for the vehicle once Teresa was done. If you believe that version of BD's story, he then changed his mind and decided not to go and talk to SA because he didn't want to bother him.

Zool, though I'm still not 100% sure of where I stand on SA's guilt or innocence (thought I do believe the prosecution did not prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt), I do agree with your statement as to how prison changes a person. SA may have gone into prison the first time as an innocent (albeit disturbed) young man but there is no way he came out of prison after 18 years and not have been changed. He is portrayed as an easy going guy that harbors no ill will or hard feelings but there is NO way he came out after serving 18 years with this "just good to be home and *hugs* all around!" attitude. If I served one MONTH of prison time for a crime I didn't commit, I would probably need anger management therapy just to deal with how p*$$*d off I would be about it. I believe you are totally correct in saying that he came out a changed man and none of us really know what prison did to his psyche. I can't say that it would definitely lead him to becoming a murderer, but I do know that all that prison time had to have a hugely negative impact on him.
SA was released into the public with no one checking in on him. He should have at least had some sort of counselling, at the county's expense. The week leading up to Teresa's murder, he had been sitting in on the depositions for his lawsuit. He already had a hatred for LE. Hearing them being deposed made him even angrier imo and that is why Teresa's murder was so brutal.

I read comments saying SA wasn't smart enough to do what he is accused of. He didn't have to be smart, just angry and evil.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Limanes, very true. Again, I'm still not convinced either way (and I'll admit, I haven't done near as much research/reading of transcripts, etc. as many people on here have done) but I do know that the anger he must have felt would have been outrageous. How could anyone serve 18 years in prison for a crime they didn't commit, then be hit with all of the deposition info, etc. from Mantiwoc county, and NOT be angry? And yes, possibly full of enough rage to commit murder...like I said, the whole "no hard feelings and everybody needs a hug" attitude just doesn't fly with me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back