Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Cheryl DeBoer
635906256609049403-deboer.jpg

Police ask help in finding missing Mountlake Terrace woman
Mountlake Terrace - Mountlake Terrace police are asking for the public's help in locating a missing woman.
Cheryl DeBoer, 54, was supposed to meet a friend at the Mountlake Terrace Park and Ride lot and carpool to work Monday morning. She texted her friend around 7 a.m. saying that she would catch a bus instead; she has not been seen or heard from since. Her vehicle was located parked in the 23400 block of 58th Avenue SW in Mountlake Terrace.
http://www.king5.com/story/news/loc...ing-missing-mountlake-terrace-woman/80068942/

Body found in Mountlake Terrace identified as missing woman
http://www.king5.com/story/news/loc...police-rule-womans-death-suspicious/80417266/
The Snohomish County Medical Examiner on Tuesday announced that they have identified a body found in Mountlake Terrace as 53-year-old Cheryl DeBoer. The cause and manner of death are pending further investigation, the ME's office said. Mountlake Terrace Police had said there is no reason to believe the public is in danger following the discovery of the body.

Medical examiner: Body found is missing Mountlake Terrace woman
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e-police-return-to-site-where-body-was-found/
The family remains cooperative with the investigation, he said, adding DeBoer’s husband took a polygraph test late last week and police have eliminated him as a person of interest.

Celebrating Cheryl DeBoer

Verified Insiders:
Stryker57
Lavaland

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5

VERIFIED PROFESSIONALS and CASE INSIDERS

We are lucky enough to have posters from all walks of life with a broad spectrum of expertise. Some hold specialized knowledge that applies to the various circumstances of the cases we discuss, and can contribute valuable insight and information. We welcome their participation.

To ensure that anyone posting as a "professional" in a specific field truly is what/who they claim to be, WS employs a verification process.

The verification process also applies to "case insiders". Relatives, friends, and others personally acquainted with a victim or suspect; or a professional working on behalf of a victim or the family, i.e., a private investigator, can submit a request to be verified as a "case insider".

If you would like to become verified, please contact the site owner at wsverify@gmail.com with your Websleuths name, your real name, the case, a telephone number, and the times when you can be reached.

If you are a "professional" or "case insider", but would prefer not to be verified, please understand that you will be required to follow the general rules for posting, and back up your statements with links to appropriate sources.

More information on how to submit a request, and the information required, can be found at this link:

Verification Process for Professionals and Insiders

NOTE: Websleuths does not condone members becoming personally involved in cases by initiating contact with family members, law enforcement, or the media. This does not preclude responding to a request for volunteers, or utilizing proper channels to report valid information, i.e., "a tip", to law enforcement.

Please read: RULES: WS ETIQUETTE & INFORMATION

Do we know where it is believed that Cheryl's fingers were cut? I assume it happened in the car, since her blood was found there, but it could have happened at the culvert, right? I'm wondering if there was blood on the inside door handles to exit the car.

Also, you might expect drag marks or crushed vegetation on the banks. But if the east side of the culvert is as brush-choked as was indicated in the article linked a couple of pages ago, maybe that pull-in was never used at all? I get more puzzled the more I read and think about this.

Blackberry bushes and thickets are sproingy. One method of cutting them back is to place a board over a section and gingerly walk on the bouncy board until the bushes compress to a degree, move the board over, walk back and forth and cut the adjacent compressed bushes near the ground. It takes a lot to compress them and a lot more for them to remain that way or for flat pressure to snap the branches. It's unlikely that rolling a body over them would leave obvious signs of disturbance for six days. Plus there were search and recovery efforts at the same spot. I don't know what wouldn't have left evidence on the thorns, maybe cardboard.

As to shoe prints or tire tracks, could they have been destroyed or lost in the shuffle of the search/recovery? We know a group found her, we don't know what activity immediately followed before the scene was secured.

The alternative is that Cheryl walked into the culvert from the other side, in 2-3 feet of water (per police chief) that was probably less than 50F. That's the mean (average) temp of Lyon Creek per decades of watershed monitoring and it was February. She then voluntarily stood/sat in that water for a significant period of time to remain out of sight of morning traffic coming down the slope of 224th which thanks to mrsgladyskravitz's photo we know has a clear view of that side of the culvert for some distance.

About the blackberry bushes, walking through, being taken through.. wouldn't there be scratches?
Not that I know there are not scratches.
Just wondering

Evidence indicates that DeBoer was in the area of her car at the time of her disappearance.

HWS01/160219855&template=MobileArt

That statement doesn't indicate to me that Cheryl walked away from her car. Couldn't dogs track her? Perhaps an eyewitness or surveillance video? It sounds much more like Cheryl got in a car with someone.

Blackberry bushes and thickets are sproingy. One method of cutting them back is to place a board over a section and gingerly walk on the bouncy board until the bushes compress to a degree, move the board over, walk back and forth and cut the adjacent compressed bushes near the ground. It takes a lot to compress them and a lot more for them to remain that way or for flat pressure to snap the branches. It's unlikely that rolling a body over them would leave obvious signs of disturbance for six days. Plus there were search and recovery efforts at the same spot. I don't know what wouldn't have left evidence on the thorns, maybe cardboard.

As to shoe prints or tire tracks, could they have been destroyed or lost in the shuffle of the search/recovery? We know a group found her, we don't know what activity immediately followed before the scene was secured.

The alternative is that Cheryl walked into the culvert from the other side, in 2-3 feet of water (per police chief) that was probably less than 50F. That's the mean (average) temp of Lyon Creek per decades of watershed monitoring and it was February. She then voluntarily stood/sat in that water for a significant period of time to remain out of sight of morning traffic coming down the slope of 224th which thanks to mrsgladyskravitz's photo we know has a clear view of that side of the culvert for some distance.

Yeah, unless someone actually broke or cut the bushes, I would expect evidence of rolling her body to be shown on her rather than the bushes (I get what you mean; I live around here, too :) )
This makes me think that she went in on the west side after all, even though there was speculation that she went in on the east side and was carried into the culvert. Then again, a month ago the vegetation probably wasn't as dense or high. Everything has kicked into high gear the past couple of weeks.

And good point about the search party possibly obscuring any tracks. Although I wonder which way THEY approached the culvert from?

That statement doesn't indicate to me that Cheryl walked away from her car. Couldn't dogs track her? Perhaps an eyewitness or surveillance video? It sounds much more like Cheryl got in a car with someone.

I agree.

Do we know where it is believed that Cheryl's fingers were cut? I assume it happened in the car, since her blood was found there, but it could have happened at the culvert, right? I'm wondering if there was blood on the inside door handles to exit the car.

Stryker said that her blood found in the car was consistent with the cuts on her fingers. So that seems to point to it happening in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stryker said that her blood found in the car was consistent with the cuts on her fingers. So that seems to point to it happening in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I think I missed a series of posts in the last thread. I (intend to) read every single post, but I also missed him say that she was claustrophobic.

So if she then opened the door to go to the culvert, there should be blood in a door handle, no?

I thought Stryker said police and them felt she entered from the east side, where the blackberry bushes are/were?

Perhaps an eyewitness or surveillance video?

If police and/or the family are going to look for possible surveillance video, they should get to that immediately. Home surveillance video logs in particular tend to "turn over" after a short period.

IF this was suicide, I imagine there may have been a fair number of indecisive actions on Cheryl's part. Maybe she wasn't sure this was going to be the day...left the badge home on purpose (or because she was distracted), then perhaps wavered. Then when it was time to meet her carpool, perhaps that was the tipping point and she just couldn't stand to. So she sent that text - maybe even still wavering about whether to go get the badge and continue to work after all. Then shut off her phone so she could think. Test cuts, perhaps bobbling the razor and cutting fingers on both hands. Decided against cutting, or wasn't ready. Put the blade in her pocket. Realized she had a plastic bag with her - took that just in case. Or even maybe found it in litter at the side of the road ... maybe she decided to walk to clear her head, then just kept going...

I don't know. Just trying to imagine.

ETA:

If it was suicide, we don't know when it occurred, though. She may have wandered or holed up somewhere until rush hour calmed down. Also, the traffic coming down 244th is on the other side of the street and I think it would be harder to see into the culvert (I may do a test drive later today and check that out). But if she had hunkered down way into the culvert - say, closer to the east side - she may not have been very visible.

So much food for thought.

I thought Stryker said police and them felt she entered from the east side, where the blackberry bushes are/were?
Stryker did say that. I'm going to guess that there was a lot less vegetation a month ago. Blackberries die back pretty well in the winter. Lately with the warmer weather, everything is growing like crazy now.

About the blackberry bushes, walking through, being taken through.. wouldn't there be scratches?
Not that I know there are not scratches.
Just wondering

Yeah, unless someone actually broke or cut the bushes, I would expect evidence of rolling her body to be shown on her rather than the bushes (I get what you mean; I live around here, too :) )
This makes me think that she went in on the west side after all, even though there was speculation that she went in on the east side and was carried into the culvert. Then again, a month ago the vegetation probably wasn't as dense or high. Everything has kicked into high gear the past couple of weeks.

And good point about the search party possibly obscuring any tracks. Although I wonder which way THEY approached the culvert from?

Included is a picture of the trackers at the site where Cheryl was presumed to enter the culvert. Also a picture from an above vantage point that shows the vegetation as well as the trackers position. The URL to the source of these images is at the top of the image, as they are screenshots I took of video.

If you watch the video you can get a better idea of the vegetation. To me it doesn't look as much like blackberry bushes as it does overgrown brown grass with a very very narrow path made to the point where the trackers are standing (not a wide area as would be expected if a body had been dragged or rolled through there.) Yes, there are blackberry bushes there, but not DENSE like they can be here in the PNW. With the absence of a number of blackberry bushes we can understand why there wasn't any mention of scratches to her hands or legs, or found snags of clothing or anything else.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• trackers_at_body_site.jpg
    trackers_at_body_site.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 335
  • police_search_site_of_found_body.jpg
    police_search_site_of_found_body.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 322

Unless the evidence was the text sent at 7:02am. If that was the evidence, then that would indicate she was in the area of her car at the time of her disappearance.

IMOO.

I believe the problem with the tracking dogs was that there was no way to determine whether they would be picking up on Cheryl's scent from that morning or a different time when she was in the area. The evidence was the cellphone triangulation garnered from where her text was sent from.

I know several have asked about Cheryl's glasses, and I'm not sure I've seen an answer. This article today from the Everett Herald states that they were found with her, folded. Sorry, if this has already been answered and I cruised past it!
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20160323/NEWS01/160329601

Folding glasses?
Who would fold glasses, unless they were going to go to sleep? Or???

Would a perp fold her glasses?

Wow. More and more it looks like a suicide to me…

IMOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member