1162 users online (229 members and 933 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unsupervised Children Left in Car with Gun; 4-year-old Shot in Head.

Mom left young kids in the car, with a loaded gun, while she went into the store.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...rt_river_index

"No charges expected." UNBELIEVABLE.

Omfg wth smdh.... just .... WHY?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Carpe Diem. ..... And so, the Lion fell in love with the Lamb....

"If you choose to own a gun you have to be safety minded and exercise a higher standard of care,'' Shelton said. "We're glad he's OK."

Shelton said no charges are expected in the case.

So the child that was holding the gun was of age to be looking after the 4 year-old? Old enough that they did not know better than to leave the gun alone?

Having to be safety minded and exercise a higher standard of care as a gun owner seems to be optional - why would the cops even mention it?

Hopefully this mom's young enough that she can have a couple of replacement kids should something unforeseen and unpredictable happen to the two she has.

Damarna is offline Verified State Coordinator for CFSI/ Insider - Parker Haluptzok
    No! No! No! These people have zero business owing guns. WTH??

Just as you don't leave yr young kids alone with a dog. Any dog can turn. ANY.
    I hope she realises how much a different situation this could of turned into. And the one who pulled the trigger will be scarred for life.
    Ppl need to use common sense.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Carpe Diem. ..... And so, the Lion fell in love with the Lamb....

How old was the oldest kid left in the freaking car with a loaded weapon? This so-called Mom should be charged!

from ^ link, shooter's age was not given (released).

"One of the children, believed to be the boy's older sister, found the gun, picked it up and it discharged."

Also LE "said the bullet grazed the boy's skull but did not enter the skull. He is listed in stable condition at Children's of Alabama." bbm
    Pure dumb luck that 4 y/o is not dead or permanently injured.

And this is exactly why my gun is always physically on me, or in a safe. How careless could this woman be? All aspects of this are just pure reckless. Hopefully they all learned some valuable lessons: don't leave your gun in a car with children, better yet don't leave your kids in a car alone to begin with, and certainly don't pick up and play with a gun.

And am I going crazy or does it seem like so many kids are picking up guns? I had the fear of God put in me by my parents/grandparents about ever touching a gun without their permission.
    'Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.' - Steven Tyler

Damarna is offline Verified State Coordinator for CFSI/ Insider - Parker Haluptzok
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
    And this is exactly why my gun is always physically on me, or in a safe. How careless could this woman be? All aspects of this are just pure reckless. Hopefully they all learned some valuable lessons: don't leave your gun in a car with children, better yet don't leave your kids in a car alone to begin with, and certainly don't pick up and play with a gun.

And am I going crazy or does it seem like so many kids are picking up guns? I had the fear of God put in me by my parents/grandparents about ever touching a gun without their permission.
    This Is the absolute rule in our home as well.

Quote Originally Posted by doublestop View Post
    Mom left young kids in the car, with a loaded gun, while she went into the store.

"No charges expected." UNBELIEVABLE.
    With all respect, this is believable.

I know, there will be people who blame the parent.

But, jumping Jehosophat, why should such a baby be able to reach a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post

Another idiot with "gun sense". Blame our gun culture!
    She should be charged just as Jamie Gilt should.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

So why were the kids left alone in the car while mom went into the store?

...because they had a gun to protect themselves.
    Thank you for the laugh, I needed it..

Respectfully, the baby, or rather the older sibling was able to reach the gun because the parent left it in an accessible location.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Dogface View Post

bbm

With all the movies and TV programs and games that show so much violence and even the "good guys" have guns to "save the girl" I think kids identify weapons, particularly guns as cool and certainly not scary.

I'm pro-gun but I also think you have to be responsible. No matter how many times you tell your kids never to touch the weapon and you just KNOW your kids would never take it out to look at or play with it (b/c you told them not to) you can't let down your guard. You never know when your kids' friends come over and while they're playing someone mentions guns and right away the friends want to see the gun. They promise they won't touch it and your little one wants to be popular so they break that cardinal rule and take down the gun and before you know it one of them is dead. Have your guns but please put them in a locked location. K, I'm off my soapbox.

JMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast