Hilton Hotel Chain Asks Katrina Evacuees to Leave

Jules

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Associated Press Writer

BROOKHAVEN, Miss.

At least one hotel chain has asked some Hurricane Katrina evacuees to check out so it can honor the reservations of incoming guests.

Hilton Hotels, the parent company of Hampton Inn and other brands, is trying to find other rooms for the evacuees but said they were warned when they checked in that their stays would be limited by room availability, said Hilton spokeswoman Kathy Shepard.

"We're doing our very best to accommodate these people," she said.

It's an uncomfortable situation for the hotel industry: risk bad publicity for kicking out hurricane evacuees, or anger big-spending repeat customers who travel for business.

Hurricane evacuees _ often several family members packed into a single hotel room _ can be a burden on hotel staff. They also use more water and electricity, and do not spend much on food and incidentals.

They "could be occupying a room that could otherwise be occupied by a higher-paying guest who's spending lots of money on telephone, food and beverage," said Bjorn Hanson, a hotel industry analyst with PriceWaterhouseCoopers in New York.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/06/D8D2LIF80.html

We have hotel reservations in Knoxville this weekend and were advised to call the day we are coming to be sure we haven't been "bumped" for evacuees. Don't know what we'll do if we have been!

Well, I think the evacuees, should realize, that they cannot stay there indiffently. Unless of course, they can start paying the bill. I don't want to sound mean, but you can't get everything for free forever. I would hope, they have been looking for different accommadations. It is a bad situation they are in. But they really need to move on. I do feel for all of those people that have no where to go though. :(

Jules said:
BROOKHAVEN, Miss.

At least one hotel chain has asked some Hurricane Katrina evacuees to check out so it can honor the reservations of incoming guests.

Hilton Hotels, the parent company of Hampton Inn and other brands, is trying to find other rooms for the evacuees but said they were warned when they checked in that their stays would be limited by room availability, said Hilton spokeswoman Kathy Shepard.

"We're doing our very best to accommodate these people," she said.
You sure can't blame Hilton Hotels, geez, enough already!

Tom'sGirl said:
You sure can't blame Hilton Hotels, geez, enough already!

Ummm, was this directed to me? I didn't blame them for anything. Just posting the facts Ma'am. :eek:

Jules said:
Ummm, was this directed to me? I didn't blame them for anything. Just posting the facts Ma'am. :eek:
:confused: Directed to you? I was just making a comment regarding the Hilton Hotel's actions.

Sorry you took it to mean something personal, as it certainly wasn't:doh:

Just push those people out on the streets and say, Hell survive just like everyone else has to do. But then my home hasn't been affected by a hurricane and although we have had rains from Tammy today it wasn't a big deal. It is so easy to put a tag on something when we don't want to acknowledge....hey, it is just easier. If you feel safer and more comfortable than just do it. But sometimes we ought to feel responsible for people who need help but that is just me.

No problem. I thought the "geez, enough already" was directed at me. Sorry for reading it wrong.

lilpony said:
Unless of course, they can start paying the bill.

I didn't read anywhere in that article that they weren't paying their bills. I'm sure if they weren't paying they'd already be out.

Jules said:
No problem. I thought the "geez, enough already" was directed at me. Sorry for reading it wrong.
Don't be sorry, I just worded it wrong......sorry, I'll try to choose my words better next time :blowkiss:

P.S. Although I do feel sorry for those who need someplace to stay, the Hilton has a business to run. I for one think they did well by giving temporary shelter to those in need. But, again, "enough already".......LOL

Tom'sGirl said:
Don't be sorry, I just worded it wrong......sorry, I'll try to choose my words better next time :blowkiss:

P.S. Although I do feel sorry for those who need someplace to stay, the Hilton has a business to run. I for one think they did well by giving temporary shelter to those in need. But, again, "enough already".......LOL

:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Jules said:
I didn't read anywhere in that article that they weren't paying their bills. I'm sure if they weren't paying they'd already be out.
Maybe FEMA is paying the minimum per room for the evacuees. The article says there are several per room, so naturally being a business they would/are taking quite a loss.

Now, maybe there are several Motel 6 or Travel Lodge Motels that could house them and not take a losss.........just a thought!

Tom'sGirl said:
Maybe FEMA is paying the minimum per room for the evacuees. The article says there are several per room, so naturally being a business they would/are taking quite a loss.

Now, maybe there are several Motel 6 or Travel Lodge Motels that could house them and not take a losss.........just a thought!

I agree with you Tom'sGirl. They are probably paying a min. So the Hotels are loosing big money. There are Hotels avail. I assume that charge less for thier rooms and what FEMA is paying is probably more along the lines of smaller Hotels regular rates. The bigger Hotels did their part by helping at first, but now there should be other options. And...what about the people who had reservations at these Hotels and are now being bumped, will these Hotels have to pay them for a reservation that was not honored? If these Hotels have to start taking big losses, will they survive, will we have to start helping the Hotels? It is all great to help out, and the hotels should most deffinately do that pre-hurricane for evacuees, duing the hurricane, and after the hurricane, but for how long after?

concernedperson said:
Just push those people out on the streets and say, Hell survive just like everyone else has to do. But then my home hasn't been affected by a hurricane and although we have had rains from Tammy today it wasn't a big deal. It is so easy to put a tag on something when we don't want to acknowledge....hey, it is just easier. If you feel safer and more comfortable than just do it. But sometimes we ought to feel responsible for people who need help but that is just me.

And don't worry that most of these people lost their homes, belongings, vehicles, and their jobs. I don't know if they are still trying to get some help from the Red Cross or whoever all the $ donations went to. The way things were going it sounded like some of the Red Cross workers weren't having any problem getting some of that money...even though they weren't even affected by Katrina.

I wonder if those 5 cruise ships are still setting there with barely anyone living on them? When it first came out it sounded like Carnival Cruise Lines was donating the use of 5 ships to Katrina survivors...I thought "what a nice thing to do" until I found out what the cruise line was charging the government or someone for the use of those boats...I mean tons and tons of money...yet hardly any people went to stay on them as the checks to Carnival keep rolling in.....who the heck is in charge of placing the survivors?
The same people who neglected to follow the disaster plan on day 1? Must be.

This happened in Talahassee. A Seminole game was up and those thathad reservations took priority ove evacuees.

All neighboring towns took in the evacuees. The hotels are within their rights and thank goodness for the kindness of strangers. Except the churchs that will be reimbursed for donations. :razz:

Bobbisangel said:
And don't worry that most of these people lost their homes, belongings, vehicles, and their jobs. I don't know if they are still trying to get some help from the Red Cross or whoever all the $ donations went to. The way things were going it sounded like some of the Red Cross workers weren't having any problem getting some of that money...even though they weren't even affected by Katrina.

I wonder if those 5 cruise ships are still setting there with barely anyone living on them? When it first came out it sounded like Carnival Cruise Lines was donating the use of 5 ships to Katrina survivors...I thought "what a nice thing to do" until I found out what the cruise line was charging the government or someone for the use of those boats...I mean tons and tons of money...yet hardly any people went to stay on them as the checks to Carnival keep rolling in.....who the heck is in charge of placing the survivors?
The same people who neglected to follow the disaster plan on day 1? Must be.

It was nice of the cruise line(s) to offer up their ships. But I read and heard some evacuees say they didn't want to be on or near the water.

What I read is the location of the cruise ships and lack of transportation made it impossible for evacuees to find jobs and other resources as New Orleans was basically shut down so they have been used primarily by search and rescue teams from out of state, fire and police and other emergency workers, fema etc.

concernedperson said:
I love your posts, Concerned. Hugs to you.

kato said:
It was nice of the cruise line(s) to offer up their ships. But I read and heard some evacuees say they didn't want to be on or near the water.
Kato, they didn't offer........FEMA made the deal to contract them!

WASHINGTON -- Two senators asked federal officials Thursday to explain their decision to sign a $236-million deal with Carnival Cruise Lines for Hurricane Katrina housing, saying Greece was ready to provide two ships for free.

In a letter, Sens. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., and Barack Obama, D-Ill., asked Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff to explain why Federal Emergency Management Agency officials chose Carnival and turned down the Greek offer.

The six-month deal with Carnival for three full-service cruise ships -- which now sit mostly empty in the Gulf of Mexico -- has been criticized by lawmakers of both parties as a prime example of wasted spending in Hurricane Katrina-related contracts.

http://www.freep.com/news/nw/cane30e_20050930.htm

Saw a friend this evening, and she told me that her company went to a local hotel in Michigan were a lot of evacuees are staying. Told them they had plenty of manufacturing jobs open, and all they need to do was show up at this certain time, and then take a whiz quiz (drug test), and a job was waiting for them.

Not a single person showed up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back