710 users online (83 members and 627 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    53

    Michael O'Kelly

    The "interview" of BD, the emails, and the tears while on the stand...especially the tears! Tears for TH, (as he claimed) or tears of embarrassment, nervousness, regret? Just curious as to what you all have to say about his actions and odd behavior when on the stand!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,075
    Do you happen to have a link to the videos?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    53
    Angelainwi, do you know if it is appropriate to link to you tube on here? I am a newbie to this forum and I know that there are rules about certain links and what you can/cannot post. If you want, you can go to you tube and type in "Michael O'Kelly". The first video is BD's "confession" to O'Kelly, and third one is the Kachinsky/O'Kelly testimony. (The testimony footage is courtesy of shadowwraiths, a forum member on here.)

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    53
    Sorry, that's "shadowraiths". Misspelled it! Thanks, shadowraiths!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    3,947
    I am pretty sure we can link them.... and shadowraiths is a mod here ;-)

    Part of O'Kelly interviewing BD ( I think this is from the series), I am not sure if we have the complete unedited video?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    3,947
    Kachinski and O'Kelly testimony:

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    53
    There are so many members that have read and re-read transcripts, looked at maps, pored over minute details of every thing about the case, and I totally applaud that and find it extremely interesting. The work of those members and their subsequent posts have really taught me a lot about the case! The aspect that I personally find the most fascinating about this case is the behavior of the players and the psychology behind it...so to all my psych majors, I'm calling for you! Words are only a tiny portion of human communication, so trial transcripts only get me so far. I like to watch facial expressions, body language, posture, voice inflection...to me its not just about what a person says, but how they say it. Anybody else out there with me on this?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    53
    Missy1974...thanks so much! And I knew I recognized the name shadowraiths from here when I was on you tube

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    9,497
    Quote Originally Posted by ksterling3408 View Post
    I like to watch facial expressions, body language, posture, voice inflection...to me its not just about what a person says, but how they say it. Anybody else out there with me on this?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    SBM

    I don't give much weight to conclusions drawn from "body language" and "voice inflection" analysis.

    It's just too vague. One "expert" can say a person shows signs of guilt because of certain body cues. Another person can look at the same "cues" and say it means the opposite.

    Same thing goes for "voice analysis". It's way too subjective for me to be able to draw any kind of realistic conclusion from it.

    JMO

  10. #10
    shadowraiths's Avatar
    shadowraiths is offline LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Specialist, infoSec Architect
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by ksterling3408 View Post
    There are so many members that have read and re-read transcripts, looked at maps, pored over minute details of every thing about the case, and I totally applaud that and find it extremely interesting. The work of those members and their subsequent posts have really taught me a lot about the case! The aspect that I personally find the most fascinating about this case is the behavior of the players and the psychology behind it...so to all my psych majors, I'm calling for you! Words are only a tiny portion of human communication, so trial transcripts only get me so far. I like to watch facial expressions, body language, posture, voice inflection...to me its not just about what a person says, but how they say it. Anybody else out there with me on this?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Some time ago, I posted links to the BD interviews, including the O'Kelly (faux tears) testimony in episode 10, to a professional forensic psychology listserv. My colleagues were, understandably, as appalled as was I, and felt BD's confession was false. Then again, many in the forensic psych community have been researching false confessions for decades.

    As for the facial expressions? In reality, I do not put a great deal of weight in them. That is, for example, the jury convicted Lindy Chamberlain based purely upon the lack of emotional expression during her trial. It was forensic evidence that finally resulted in the reversal of her conviction.

    That being said, I do agree with you (I think), regarding O'Kelly's behavior during his testimony. And yes, I admittedly think the man was feigning tears in the face of quite, imnsho, damning evidence regarding notable ethical breeches.



    Forensic Psychology Portal

    I tend to disappear from Websleuths from time to time.
    If I do, you can usually find me on
    Twitter.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by ksterling3408 View Post
    The "interview" of BD, the emails, and the tears while on the stand...especially the tears! Tears for TH, (as he claimed) or tears of embarrassment, nervousness, regret? Just curious as to what you all have to say about his actions and odd behavior when on the stand!
    Oh don't get me started on this man. When I watched the docu and saw that horrible "I'm sorry, I'm not sorry " survey he gave BD I nearly jumped out of my chair. And the fake crying over the blue ribbon. I was seriously thinking "wtf? is he crying? during testimony even" He was obviously there for Kratz.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    53
    I by no means think that anybody should be convicted for not showing the "proper" emotional expression nor do I believe the "science" behind microexpressions is truly a science. I have read various blogs of lie detection "experts" that have crucified people based on facial expressions then had to turn around and apologize. I do believe that human communication consists of more than just the words we say and body language convey can convey important information... is it a science, no, not by the true definition of science, but the theories and research surrounding this aspect are quite interesting. To me, reading a transcript only gets me so far so I always like to watch any accompanying videos...it just helps me get a better view of the situation (pun intended! Lol). As for O'Kelly, I didn't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for the man! It was just so awkward. I thought OK if I feel awkward watching this display on a video, I can imagine how weirded out the people in the courtroom felt! The worst part was when he announced his tears were for TH...come on. I think he was nervous and embarrassed that all of this came to light and his emotions got the better of him. Some people get angry or defensive when caught in an awkward or embarrassing situation, some shut down, and I suppose, as in O'Kelly's case, some may cry. I think I would have felt at least a little sympathy for him if he hadn't blamed his tears on the death of TH. That was what made me file him under my mental folder entitled "ridiculous buffoon." (Right next to KK and LKachinsky, though KK got an extra special gold star in his file for his extra special brand of ridiculousness.)

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    53
    My apologies, think I said "convey" one too many times in a sentence just now. The part of my brain that proofreads must have taken a late lunch

    Oh, and if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't it O'Kelly that sent that one email that said something along the lines of how the Avery family tree needed to be chopped down at the trunk? Or something like that? Great analogy there and totally professional.*sarcasm*

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kansas Prairie
    Posts
    503
    Thanks for this tread. I needed to unburden my heart

    Mike O'Kelly is a dishonest, unethical, immoral man with no integrity, no conscience, and no limits to what he will do or say to justify himself.

    Is there a thread where I can talk about Ms Sherry Culhane, worlds worst lab tech?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kansas Prairie
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by ksterling3408 View Post
    ...

    Oh, and if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't it O'Kelly that sent that one email that said something along the lines of how the Avery family tree needed to be chopped down at the trunk? Or something like that? Great analogy there and totally professional.*sarcasm*
    Yes!! He said "A friend of mine said they should cut this tree...", which bugs me 1) because he typed this in a memo, but 2) It's not ethical to discuss tests and investigations like that about private citizens to his buddies. He said "These are criminals." He wrote they have sex with each other and who ever else they can. Outrageous accusations.

    What an arrogant jerk.
    Can't we all just get along? ~ Rodney King

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NY NY - Michael Kelly, 12, Queens, 14 Feb 1959
    By DevilsPlayThing in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-08-2017, 12:04 AM
  2. Michael jordan look alike sues Michael
    By laura08 in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 03:23 PM