Found Deceased Switzerland - Harrison Fast, 28, of Colorado, Jungfrau, 26 March 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Boulder man goes missing in Switzerland while speed flying
harrisonfast.jpg

A man from Boulder has been missing in Switzerland since Saturday after he attempted to speed fly the Jungfrau in Switzerland.
http://kdvr.com/2016/03/28/boulder-man-goes-missing-in-switzerland-while-speed-flying/

[video=vimeo;122041704]https://vimeo.com/122041704[/video]

Video of Harrison speedflying. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between speedflyng and paragliding.

Hope he is found safe.

It looks a tough place to get stranded.

eurail.jpg

1227781690.jpg

ETA: video not working but it's linked in the article in los's post.

I 'know' Harrison through a local ski resort's ski patrol and we have some mutual acquaintances. He, his family, and the searchers will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Speed-flying is a combination of paragliding and skiing. Tragically, the gentleman known as the founder of speed-flying died in an accident while partaking in the sport he created.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Bumping for Harrison. These 2 photos are of the area they believe Harrison to be. The heli today didn't find anything of significance, but his friends/family have organized a drone search and possibly another heli search for tomorrow, as the area is way too unstable at the moment to put any 'boots on the ground.'

I'm continuing to hope for a miracle, but know that realistically, time is not on his side. Glad he was living his dream though, hang in there Harrison! Help is near.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 241
Some footage from the helicopter search. Shows how big a task this is:

[video=youtube;cU6AVIQ4ul8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6AVIQ4ul8[/video]

Yesterday and today they're using drones.

More info on the facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/HarrisonFastRescue

I'll point out this post, the last line is very moving:

We have arrived at the command center for the search and rescue operation. The family has procured 10 Phantom 3 Pro and they are being readied for tomorrow. Many Swiss drone operators have pledged to come to Lauterbrunnen tomorrow and help find Harrison.

I will help coordinate between the local teams, including the police and other air units, as well as the various teams. The section Mathias Häcki and I will be covering from the air tomorrow is the middle section where the Inspire with the 45mm can really help see details.

The weather tomorrow doesn't look very helpful for our purpose. In fact, there is a very high wind advisory (80-100 km/h winds).

Harrison's friends and his family have been very amazing; from organizing on the ground, to going out there on foot, by ski and with drones to look for any sign of Harrison and his parachute.

We all will get some rest and at dawn start our mission.

It's uplifting to see how so many people are coming together to help and I am looking forward to seeing more of this tomorrow.

Harrison's mother is here too - hearing her say that she wishes for closure is not only heavy and sad, but also motivating for us to go out there and trying our best.

https://www.facebook.com/romeoch/posts/10154768495192796

Really hope they have some good fortune soon.

I've been meaning to post here for 2 days and kept putting it off because I was waiting and hoping for good news, but it appears there will be no 'good news' forthcoming :( My thoughts and prayers have been and will continue to be with Harrison's family and friends. I can't say it was unexpected, but I feel sad just the same.

"An update from Switzerland:

— We met again with the police today and had a long, good conversation with them. We reviewed their photos and heard more details about their search, and everyone got the answers they were looking for. We'd like to thank the local police/search and rescue personnel for accommodating us in our search efforts and being consummate professionals.
— A drone team went into the field to get footage of one more area we hadn’t yet been able to enter yet.
— We decided to close the fundraising page. Everyone has been so amazing to support the effort, and we so appreciate the donations. We’re at the point where we are winding down the active search and don’t need to raise more funds. Any leftover money will be used for the Harrison Fast Foundation going to support causes he loved.
— We are starting to unwind the search team as people head back to the states. We’re organizing the data and deciding how to best use the equipment we have acquired. The drones will be donated to local police and SAR teams here and in the U.S.
— The local police and helicopter teams will continue to survey the area as time, conditions, and resources allow. The Fasts plan to return to Lauterbrunner in the near future (once the newest family member arrives!)
— The ground team would like to sincerely thank everyone for making it possible for us to search for Harrison as extensively as we have. This includes our families at home; our places of employment, especially everyone at RealD; the Hotel Staubbach and their very accommodating staff; the people of Lauterbrunnen for their hospitality; and of course, all the amazing people that donated to our cause making our efforts here possible."

https://www.facebook.com/HarrisonFastRescue/

I am so sorry for the apparent loss of this man. The Jungfrau and environs are so beautiful as I remember them. Prayers to all of his friends and family and to those that love this type of sport. Stay safe KayElJay!

Harrisons's obituary:

Harrison Fast was an intrepid adventurer who disappeared last week in the Swiss Alps while speedflying. He died doing a sport for which he lived. Harry was a daring dreamer, creative inventor, and encouraging friend whose passionate existence influenced many. He is survived by his mother and father, Jane and John Fast, his 3 sisters, Suzanne Mitchlitsch, Julie Fast, and Molly Fast, and his two brothers-in-law Nathan Mitschlitch and John Solis. The Fast Family and Harrison's countless friends are heartbroken at his sudden disappearance, but grateful that a compassionate and caring community of likeminded adventurers strode forward to continue the Search and Rescue Operation in Switzerland. His final resting place is one of spectacular beauty and, as he reminded us in his recent speedflying video, "The summit is just the beginning." A celebration of life will take place on SATURDAY APRIL 16TH AT THE BOULDER RESERVOIR starting at 12pm. As we have no idea how many movers and shakers will show up, please bring a dish or a drink to share. Also, in lieu of flowers the family asks that you consider donating to your local Search and Rescue team, don a crazy costume and dance, push yourself carefully toward your limits, and fully enjoy your present moment of endless possibility. We love you Harrison.

I will be attending Harrison's celebration of life on Saturday. Although I only briefly knew Harrison, I will miss his boundless energy, fearlessness, and consistent good vibes. Fly high Harrison. "Faster, faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." --Hunter S. Thompson

I don't have a media source yet, but there may be news that will bring closure in the next few days

Body of missing Boulder man found in Switzerland

The family of a Boulder man who went missing in the Swiss Alps in March announced on Tuesday that his body was found on Thursday.

A post on the Facebook page "A Tribute to Harrison Fast" said his family was "relieved, yet deeply saddened to announce the discovery of his remains on the top of Jungfraujoch on Thursday."

Fast, 28, disappeared on March 26 while speed flying with friends in Switzerland's Jungfrau region. Speed flying involves skiing with a fabric chute, called a speed wing, affixed to a person's body.

Authorities discovered Fast's body while conducting another search and rescue in the area. A DNA test confirmed the remains found belonged to Fast. His father will be going to Lauterbrunnen next week to collect Fast's remains and his belongings.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_30308662/body-missing-boulder-man-found-switzerland

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back