1367 users online (341 members and 1026 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    About 10 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA

Rape kit performed during autopsy ...

After MUCH research with "a partner", it does NOT seem likely that the rape kit performed on Janet during the autopsy was standard procedure in a homicide investigation. Does anyone know for sure? If it is not standard, then why would they do one in this case? Some possibilities:

1) they found some damage to Janet's body that prompted them to do the kit.
    2) Raven said something that made them wonder if she'd been raped.
    3) Something at the crime scene may have indicated the necessity to do a rape kit.

4) When the husband is suspected from the get-go, perhaps it's something they do to cover their bases so that the husband's defense attorney can't say in court later that LE put blinders on immediately, focusing on the husband while letting the "real killer" get away.

I feel that this is an important issue. If a rape kit is not a standard part of a homicide investigation in NC, then what prompted them to do it this time?

ETA: One of our posters with possible inside information did seem pretty focused on the idea of rape. Is there some connection?

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

This is really interesting...

If not routine, then SOMETHING prompted the ME to do a "sexual assault kit." I keep thinking about Raven "finding" Janet in a kneeling position, and saying this was not odd, as she often assumed that position when she had "really bad cramps." My mind is not making the complete circle (yikes!)...but is there some correlation between Raven feeling it necessary to say that Janet was on her knees with cramps, etc...with the fact that we now know she was pregnant...and then SOMETHING that would lead the ME to do a sexual assault kit? Perhaps these are all stand alone things, having no links whatsoever... But I keep thinking there could be some connection, in some shape, form, or fashion.

And logic would dictate, if not routine, that that something would have to be either something SAID to LE by Raven, or, something observed at the scene itself...

Ok, I have to keep thinking about all of this. Then maybe I can make a not-so-babbling post!
    "I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against."

-Malcolm X

Jenifred is offline I can feel it coming in the air tonight......
    Wouldn't a rape kit be natural to do at the scene of a murder of a woman? Things it might point to would be:
    1. Who the victim's last partner was
    2. If the victim was sexually active with someone other than spouse
    3. If there was actually a rape
    4. If a rape occured, then it might contain perp's DNA

I think that you all are putting too much emphasis on it. I'm guessing that it's more routine that you think.
    2 Nephi 30:17 "There is nothing which is seceret save it shall be revealed; there is no work of darkness save it shall be made manifest in the light; and there is nothing which is sealed upon the earth save it shall be loosed."

We have searched high, low, and in between, and we have found nothing at all to indicate that this is a normal part of an autopsy. If someone can find some information to the contrary, please do post it. I can't make sense of this.

Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Jenifred
    Wouldn't a rape kit be natural to do at the scene of a murder of a woman? Things it might point to would be:
    1. Who the victim's last partner was
    2. If the victim was sexually active with someone other than spouse
    3. If there was actually a rape
    4. If a rape occured, then it might contain perp's DNA
    It seems so to me....and a standard pregnancy test too should be done on any deceased woman in their childbearing years. To me its just all common sense but I have no idea what is standard for LE there.

Still looking, but, so far, every single case I can find of a "sexual assault kit" being done post-mortem has been for specific reasons -

- The victim was found partially clothed
    - The victim was known to have been assaulted
    - There was injury visible in the genital area at autopsy
    - Evidence collected or visible at the scene, of a sexual nature (ie., semen stains, etc.)
    - Something about the scene itself suggests a crime of a sexual nature

No where can I find even one post-mortem collection of a sexual assault kit that wasn't mandated by something specific in the crime or crime scene.

Still looking though!!
    "I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against."

-Malcolm X

Jenifred is offline I can feel it coming in the air tonight......
    SES, you've got a good point. Janet was fully clothed. I forgot about that. But I still think that it would be good practice to do this on all women victims.
    2 Nephi 30:17 "There is nothing which is seceret save it shall be revealed; there is no work of darkness save it shall be made manifest in the light; and there is nothing which is sealed upon the earth save it shall be loosed."

Apparently, there are laws regarding life insurance providers and autopsies. I don't have the time or the intellect to research and understand all of those nuances but I don't know if that could play into how detailed an autopsy is.

Mahatma Gandhi

Warning - Very Graphic Information At Link

Autopsy

Completion of the autopsy may require examination of tissues under a microscope, further investigation of the circumstances of death, or specialized tests (such as genetic or toxicology tests). The tests performed may vary based on the findings at the autopsy dissection, the circumstances of death, the questions asked about the death, and the condition of the tissues and body fluids obtained at autopsy. Toxicology testing is not generally performed in every autopsy, particularly those not required by law. Genetic testing is not usually done unless the family has been consulted...

Mahatma Gandhi

Autopsy

Following the autopsy, it may take several weeks for the results of specialized tests to be completed. For this reason, a final written autopsy report may take weeks to months.

Mahatma Gandhi

terminatrixator is offline All Posts JMO - May Godspeed Justice for Janet and her unborn child!
    I will try to come up with information on this and post sometime tomorrow.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke

"Safety never takes a holiday" ~Britney Romito

"It's easier to KEEP Raven happy, than it is to MAKE Raven happy." ~Janet Christiansen (Abaroa)

"Right now you have the capabilities of being a God" ~Karen Abaroa Bolton

Autopsy

Autopsy procedures may differ for each deceased person depending on the medical history of the person, the circumstances surrounding the death, questions the person's doctors and family members would like answered, and the findings at the initial dissection. It is important that the family members and doctors discuss their questions and concerns with the pathologist before the autopsy is performed, so that the autopsy can be individualized and samples can be obtained that may allow performance of specialized tests. Samples may not be retained for specialized tests (such as genetic, toxicology, or paternity testing) unless specific requests are made at the time of the autopsy.

Mahatma Gandhi

Autopsy

Autopsy results may affect insurance settlements or result in legal action.

Mahatma Gandhi

Autopsy Screenwriter's Guide

I guess there's a web site for everything. In any case, there is a brief description of parts of a female exam as opposed to a male exam. I don't feel comfortable posting the details here so you'll have to click the link. Scroll about 2/3 of the way down.

Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl
    Autopsy

Autopsy procedures may differ for each deceased person depending on the medical history of the person, the circumstances surrounding the death, questions the person's doctors and family members would like answered...
    If this is not standard but Raven brought up the notion of rape, I wonder if that would be considered a question that a family member would like answered. Could this also have been done as a result of questioning done with associates of Raven's? Perhaps Raven said nothing of the sort at the scene but was making claims to friends after that night. If LE later questioned those friends, and found out about Raven making claims of rape, would that have been enough to add those tests in?

Okay, I'm done for tonight. Hopefully someone can find something more definitive.

Good night, all.

Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast