Rape kit performed during autopsy ...

OriginalJerseyGirl

CERTIFIED FLYERS FANATIC!
Reaction score
After MUCH research with "a partner", it does NOT seem likely that the rape kit performed on Janet during the autopsy was standard procedure in a homicide investigation. Does anyone know for sure? If it is not standard, then why would they do one in this case? Some possibilities:

1) they found some damage to Janet's body that prompted them to do the kit.
2) Raven said something that made them wonder if she'd been raped.
3) Something at the crime scene may have indicated the necessity to do a rape kit.

4) When the husband is suspected from the get-go, perhaps it's something they do to cover their bases so that the husband's defense attorney can't say in court later that LE put blinders on immediately, focusing on the husband while letting the "real killer" get away.

I feel that this is an important issue. If a rape kit is not a standard part of a homicide investigation in NC, then what prompted them to do it this time?

ETA: One of our posters with possible inside information did seem pretty focused on the idea of rape. Is there some connection?

This is really interesting...

If not routine, then SOMETHING prompted the ME to do a "sexual assault kit." I keep thinking about Raven "finding" Janet in a kneeling position, and saying this was not odd, as she often assumed that position when she had "really bad cramps." My mind is not making the complete circle (yikes!)...but is there some correlation between Raven feeling it necessary to say that Janet was on her knees with cramps, etc...with the fact that we now know she was pregnant...and then SOMETHING that would lead the ME to do a sexual assault kit? Perhaps these are all stand alone things, having no links whatsoever... But I keep thinking there could be some connection, in some shape, form, or fashion.

And logic would dictate, if not routine, that that something would have to be either something SAID to LE by Raven, or, something observed at the scene itself...

Ok, I have to keep thinking about all of this. Then maybe I can make a not-so-babbling post!

Wouldn't a rape kit be natural to do at the scene of a murder of a woman? Things it might point to would be:
1. Who the victim's last partner was
2. If the victim was sexually active with someone other than spouse
3. If there was actually a rape
4. If a rape occured, then it might contain perp's DNA

I think that you all are putting too much emphasis on it. I'm guessing that it's more routine that you think.

We have searched high, low, and in between, and we have found nothing at all to indicate that this is a normal part of an autopsy. If someone can find some information to the contrary, please do post it. I can't make sense of this.

Jenifred said:
Wouldn't a rape kit be natural to do at the scene of a murder of a woman? Things it might point to would be:
1. Who the victim's last partner was
2. If the victim was sexually active with someone other than spouse
3. If there was actually a rape
4. If a rape occured, then it might contain perp's DNA
It seems so to me....and a standard pregnancy test too should be done on any deceased woman in their childbearing years. To me its just all common sense but I have no idea what is standard for LE there.

Still looking, but, so far, every single case I can find of a "sexual assault kit" being done post-mortem has been for specific reasons -

- The victim was found partially clothed
- The victim was known to have been assaulted
- There was injury visible in the genital area at autopsy
- Evidence collected or visible at the scene, of a sexual nature (ie., semen stains, etc.)
- Something about the scene itself suggests a crime of a sexual nature

No where can I find even one post-mortem collection of a sexual assault kit that wasn't mandated by something specific in the crime or crime scene.

Still looking though!!

SES, you've got a good point. Janet was fully clothed. I forgot about that. But I still think that it would be good practice to do this on all women victims.

Apparently, there are laws regarding life insurance providers and autopsies. I don't have the time or the intellect to research and understand all of those nuances but I don't know if that could play into how detailed an autopsy is.

Autopsy

Completion of the autopsy may require examination of tissues under a microscope, further investigation of the circumstances of death, or specialized tests (such as genetic or toxicology tests). The tests performed may vary based on the findings at the autopsy dissection, the circumstances of death, the questions asked about the death, and the condition of the tissues and body fluids obtained at autopsy. Toxicology testing is not generally performed in every autopsy, particularly those not required by law. Genetic testing is not usually done unless the family has been consulted...

Autopsy

Following the autopsy, it may take several weeks for the results of specialized tests to be completed. For this reason, a final written autopsy report may take weeks to months.

I will try to come up with information on this and post sometime tomorrow.

Autopsy

Autopsy procedures may differ for each deceased person depending on the medical history of the person, the circumstances surrounding the death, questions the person's doctors and family members would like answered, and the findings at the initial dissection. It is important that the family members and doctors discuss their questions and concerns with the pathologist before the autopsy is performed, so that the autopsy can be individualized and samples can be obtained that may allow performance of specialized tests. Samples may not be retained for specialized tests (such as genetic, toxicology, or paternity testing) unless specific requests are made at the time of the autopsy.

Autopsy Screenwriter's Guide

I guess there's a web site for everything. :rolleyes: In any case, there is a brief description of parts of a female exam as opposed to a male exam. I don't feel comfortable posting the details here so you'll have to click the link. Scroll about 2/3 of the way down.

JerseyGirl said:
Autopsy

Autopsy procedures may differ for each deceased person depending on the medical history of the person, the circumstances surrounding the death, questions the person's doctors and family members would like answered...
If this is not standard but Raven brought up the notion of rape, I wonder if that would be considered a question that a family member would like answered. Could this also have been done as a result of questioning done with associates of Raven's? Perhaps Raven said nothing of the sort at the scene but was making claims to friends after that night. If LE later questioned those friends, and found out about Raven making claims of rape, would that have been enough to add those tests in?

Okay, I'm done for tonight. Hopefully someone can find something more definitive.

Good night, all. :blowkiss:

JerseyGirl said:
We have searched high, low, and in between, and we have found nothing at all to indicate that this is a normal part of an autopsy. If someone can find some information to the contrary, please do post it. I can't make sense of this.
Just asked DF about this and he said only if there is reason to believe that she might have been raped would an acutal "rape kit" be brought out. Very interesting...I am going to have to think on this too because this is big news to me!

Unless they were testing to see if there was semen there and to check out Raven's alibi. If they had sex, or was signs of sex that day, let's say one or two hours prior, etc. or that day.

Maybe they noticed bruising there during the autopsy and decided to just check? Maybe he kicked her there or hit her there after she told him she was pregnant? These are just purely speculation, however, there is a reason for everything....well everything BUT MURDER!

I'll do some research on this tomorrow!

..i recall the 1st i had heard of rape as a possible motive...:

post_old.gif
06-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Rooster
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_680985", true);

"I don't know who.:( But I have theory...I think someone was watching her and the house, with intention's to rape her.(I hate even typing this...it make's me sick.) They waited until Raven left to his game. Now keep in mind if they had been watching the house they probably knew if they saw Raven leave in his Soccer clothes, with his soccer bag. (don't know if he had one...I'm just speculating.) Then they would know they had (however long), as long as a soccer game take's, to do what they intended.
I think Janet fought the rapest/murder and he killed her. I think maybe he was only intending to rape. But ended up killing her because she fought back.
He then probably ran...

This is all theory."

.............i debated back and forth with rooster back then......my side: a rapist, rapes......a murderer murders........( 2 very different mind-sets..)

...it's very intersting that a rape kit would be done on a victim that had been clearly stabbed........( well, except to raven...who said she'd "been hurt"...."been shot".....)

...good info JG.......
...poor janet.........how dare he end her life in such a cold and utterly sad manner ........

lauriej said:
.............i debated back and forth with rooster back then......my side: a rapist, rapes......a murderer murders........( 2 very different mind-sets..)
A rapist would also probably have done some degree of damage to the clothing that Janet was wearing. From what we know, she was fully clothed. Perhaps there's something about which we don't know but nothing I've read so far has given me the impression that anyone had tried to remove any of her clothing.

My husband works in the medical profession so only has experience with clinical autopsies. His adamant belief, however, was that when the coroner is involved, a rape kit would be done on any female murder victim. So unfortunately, all of the people we've been asking have been giving us different answers! :doh: I guess I'm going to start looking again.

Thanks for all of the dialogue on this.

NFI - Pathology

"... Protocol, a series of agreed-upon written and documented procedures, is observed in the strictest sense of the word.

Protocol ... "

(link gives a brief description of the protocol).

Side note - some other forensic procedures are listed and briefly described. Interesting stuff.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back