774 users online (131 members and 643 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

Russia - Colin Madsen, 25, Arshan, Buryatia, 27 March 2016 - US Student

Russian police launch search for US student, 25, missing in Siberian mountains two days after he vanished from guesthouse without a coat in subzero temperatures

Russian police have launched a full-scale search for an American postgraduate student who has vanished in a mountainous area of Siberia.
    Colin Madsen, 25, left a guesthouse in Arshan, in the Buddhist region of Buryatia, in the early hours of Sunday morning, and has not been seen since.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz44LSEf3gi
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

'At the moment no-one can clearly explain what happened.
    'We have called the US Embassy in Moscow and they told us that they are taking measures.'
    Another friend, Elena Fuks, said: 'Today they should be searching for him with a helicopter.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz44LYNwJL2
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I know Russia, Russians and the Russian language. I find it very odd that he would just be able to get up and leave in the middle of the night with no questions asked. He is a Foreign National and as such would be subject to surveillance. Russians are very friendly, welcoming and nationalistic. True whether or not you are in Buryatiya, Moscow or Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. With the nationalism comes a very strong desire to show the country and its cultures in the most positive light possible. That means loads of invitations everywhere, and plenty of company at all times. Being in a remote area like that you can bet that the local population knows all about the 'американец' or US Citizen in their midst. That means that someone, somewhere has seen something.
    R.I.P. DeMonte Thomas, Detroit, MI

He is a student at Irkutsk State Linguistic University and visited the tourist destination of Arshan in Buryatia with friends. He left a guesthouse in the village during the night on 27 March between 2 am and 5 am, evidently without a coat in sub-zero temperatures.

His cellphone is unavailable. Madsen is from Jefferson City, Missouri, and is understood to speak good Russian.

He is described as being 170 cm to 175 cm tall, of slim build, with blue eyes and brown hair. He was dressed in sand-coloured trousers, a T-shirt, and wore grey hiking boots.

His mother, Dana Madsen, is flying to Russia to help the search for her missing son.

http://siberiantimes.com/other/other...ng-in-siberia/

The Arshan area is famous for its healing mineral waters, mountain views and waterfalls. The village also has a noted Buddhist temple.

"Concern rises over missing American who aimed to climb Peak of Love"
    Source: http://siberiantimes.com/other/other...-peak-of-love/
    (Thank you, JerseyGirl, for pointing me in the right direction !)

This is the first time I am reading that:
    "The case has been put under the 'special control' of the Moscow department of the Russian Invesigative Committee, sometimes called the Russian FBI, and the Russian Foreign Ministry."

"Madsen, a postgraduate student, had come to the thermal tourist resort in Buryatia with friends, including another American, from the Irkutsk State Linguistic University." (BBM)

"The group had agreed to rise at 5am to climb the 2412-metre high Peak of Love (7,913 feet), a mysterious mountain in the Eastern Sayan range. But he left two hours earlier ...," (BBM)

and, as reported earlier, "not suitably dressed for night time subzero temperatures." (BBM)

Again, this is new to me, too: "His cellphone remained at the guest house. Madsen is described by the source as leading a 'healthy lifestyle' and did not drink alcohol.

'He liked to walk at night in Irkutsk, often talked about it - all the students knew about this hobby,' he ("a source at the institute") said."

If the source is correct, and Colin indeed does not drink, then my first theory that perhaps he had a little too much to drink and wandered outside, at least for me, becomes less likely.

What bothers me the most is that he apparently was not dressed for the weather (I'm assuming that his coat is still at the guesthouse), and though to a lesser degree, that he did not take his phone with him.

I can imagine a person not taking his/her phone along on a nighttime walk, especially if he/she is feeling safe enough, to enjoy the peace and quiet. But why not the coat? This, I'm afraid, leads me to suspect foul play , and maybe that is why the so-called "Russian FBI" is now involved. Colin and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Last edited by inmyhumbleopinion; 03-30-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: to add quotation marks

The area where Madsen vanished is remote, about 130 miles from Irkutsk, on the western side of Lake Baikal, a destination popular among foreign backpackers.

He left the house wearing only trousers and a T-shirt.

It was snowing in Arshan and there was heavy fog.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=38028488

The search for a U.S. citizen who disappeared Sunday in the mountains of the Siberian republic of Buryatia, 4,500 kilometers from Moscow, has been suspended, regional Emergency Situations Ministry spokeswoman Darima Danilova said, the RIA Novosti news agency reported Wednesday.
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/arts_n...ia/564028.html
    The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars. ~ Unknown

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

"There are plenty of sacred sites here," shaman Radna Dashitsyrenova was quoted as saying. "Their hosts may mislead [hikers]. You need to pay them honors before a trip, otherwise such tragedies would happen."
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-...n-hunt-n547791
    The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars. ~ Unknown

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

“Rescuers surveyed the area but did not find the missing person. The search has now been suspended and will be resumed as soon as there is any new information on [Madsen's] possible location," Danilova said, RIA Novosti reported.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/arts_n...ia/564028.html

There are plenty of sacred sites here," shaman Radna Dashitsyrenova was quoted as saying. "Their hosts may mislead [hikers]. You need to pay them honors before a trip, otherwise such tragedies would happen."

What are they implying happened?

Quote Originally Posted by LaborDayRN View Post
    There are plenty of sacred sites here," shaman Radna Dashitsyrenova was quoted as saying. "Their hosts may mislead [hikers]. You need to pay them honors before a trip, otherwise such tragedies would happen."

What are they implying happened?
    Without the benefit of any research right now and off the top of my head, I think he/she means that each sacred site is inhabited by a "spirit," and that people should go and honor that spirit. Otherwise, the spirit will "get inside your head/cast a spell" and mislead you or your sense of direction when hiking or walking and a resultant tragedy will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfieTX View Post
    Without the benefit of any research right now and off the top of my head, I think he/she means that each sacred site is inhabited by a "spirit," and that people should go and honor that spirit. Otherwise, the spirit will "get inside your head/cast a spell" and mislead you or your sense of direction when hiking or walking and a resultant tragedy will occur.
    Thank you SurfieTX! I read it as he needed to pay his hosts (meaning the inn keepers or someone leading the hike) or they would mislead you.

One of the most obvious elements of traditional Buryat culture being revived in Russia is religion. As we drove from the capital to Tunkinsky, we stopped at least half-a-dozen times so our Buryat hosts and driver could offer prayers and libations at sacred sites associated with Siberian shamanism. The first one we stopped at was a sacred tree with hundreds of blue and white prayer scarves tied to its branches and a pile of vodka bottles strewn around its base. (Part of the tradition here is to make an offering of something you value, most often vodka, and to leave whatever you bring.) In the shamanistic tradition, certain trees are believed to be the repository of spirits, and sacred sites almost always involve trees and prayer scarves. But this region also has a long and strong history of Tibetan Buddhism, and many sacred sites will feature a Buddhist stupa or prayer wheel alongside the shaman elements.

https://www.culturalsurvival.org/pub...a/culture-line

About half-way down on this link, there is a picture that shows the scarves:

http://todiscoverrussia.com/buryatia-russia/
    Last edited by SurfieTX; 03-30-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaborDayRN View Post
    Thank you SurfieTX! I read it as he needed to pay his hosts (meaning the inn keepers or someone leading the hike) or they would mislead you.
    Honestly, I thought that too at first.

Madsen had come to the thermal tourist resort with friends, including another American, from the university. The group had agreed to rise at 5am to the Peak of Love, which is 7,913 feet. The mountain in the Eastern Sayan range has spiritual associations for local Buddhists. But he left two hours earlier, not suitably dressed for night time subzero temperatures.

His cellphone remained at the guest house. Madsen is described as leading a 'healthy lifestyle' and did not drink alcohol.

Even local shamans - who blame tourists for getting into trouble because they do not respect ancient traditions and honor 'sacred' sites - are helping with the search.

'They said that in the morning when Colin vanished, it began to snow. So dogs cannot pick up the trace.'

Temperatures in the region are around 48F during the day, but dip below freezing at night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz44PiWHV9T

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast