746 users online (91 members and 655 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885

    Man in Coma 'heard everything'

    An Italian man has emerged from a two-year-long coma claiming he retained his powers of hearing and comprehension throughout his illness, his family say. Salvatore Crisafulli, 38, is recovering at home after years spent in what doctors had termed a "near-dead" state.

    He is quoted as saying that his "miraculous" recovery proves euthanasia cannot be justified for coma patients.


    According to Italian media, Mr Crisafulli claims to have overheard doctors saying he was not conscious.

    "I understood everything and I cried in desperation," he said.

    Mr Crisafulli has recovered the power of speech and recollection, his brother Pietro told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.

    "I don't expect that he will be like he was, but it's already a miracle," he was quoted as saying.

    "And to think that some doctors said that it was all useless and that he would be dead in three, four months."

    Pietro Crisafulli compared his brother to Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged US woman who died earlier this year amid a storm of controversy.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4313118.stm

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Where else? Texas ! ! ! !
    Posts
    12,198

    Off Topic

    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    An Italian man has emerged from a two-year-long coma claiming he retained his powers of hearing and comprehension throughout his illness, his family say. Salvatore Crisafulli, 38, is recovering at home after years spent in what doctors had termed a "near-dead" state.

    He is quoted as saying that his "miraculous" recovery proves euthanasia cannot be justified for coma patients.


    According to Italian media, Mr Crisafulli claims to have overheard doctors saying he was not conscious.

    "I understood everything and I cried in desperation," he said.

    Mr Crisafulli has recovered the power of speech and recollection, his brother Pietro told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.

    "I don't expect that he will be like he was, but it's already a miracle," he was quoted as saying.

    "And to think that some doctors said that it was all useless and that he would be dead in three, four months."

    Pietro Crisafulli compared his brother to Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged US woman who died earlier this year amid a storm of controversy.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4313118.stm



    Cassie this witch is enough to send Mr. Gabby into a coma.......



    /


    "Would some power the Giftee gie us To see ourselves as others see us" R.Burns

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabby
    Cassie this witch is enough to send Mr. Gabby into a coma.......
    Remember - he may 'hear everything' so don't pull the plug!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    743
    Coma, unfortunately, is not the same as PVS.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Detroit 'Burb
    Posts
    2,832

    Maybe It Is.

    What makes you say that?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1
    What makes you say that?
    Because people wake from short or long term coma's all the time and are at the same mental state.

    No one 'wakes up' from PVS to return to the usual self.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Pook
    Because people wake from short or long term coma's all the time and are at the same mental state.

    No one 'wakes up' from PVS to return to the usual self.
    Uh oh!! Here comes this topic again but to your thoughts Pook,

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,968
    oh boy,, here we go again...

    but the fact remains, TERRI SHIAVO WAS *NOT* IN A COMA (duh), so there is no comparison.

    OK, other than... they were both IN A BED for a long time....???? hhhmm.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lakeville, New York
    Posts
    667
    I agree with you guys about PVS. My mom was in a PVS and we took her off life support. Even if she had "woken up" she wouldn't be the same and I know that she wouldn't have wanted to "live" like that. Sure, they are "awake" but they would have no quality of life.
    "It seems that this is larger than I am. More than I can handle. Yet I know that I am being carried, for I am not strong enough to carry myself. I do not have the answers now but one day I will know and understand and maybe one day I will help to carry another." Joanne Cacciatore~

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbgchick
    Coma, unfortunately, is not the same as PVS.
    I'm a little behind the 8-ball, been away for awhile, but someone asked "why would you say that?". Well...because it they AREN'T the same.

    Coma and Persistent Vegetative State


    A coma is a profound or deep state of unconsciousness. The affected individual is alive but is not able to react or respond to life around him/her. Coma may occur as an expected progression or complication of an underlying illness, or as a result of an event such as head trauma.

    A persistent vegetative state, which sometimes follows a coma, refers to a condition in which individuals have lost cognitive neurological function and awareness of the environment but retain noncognitive function and a perserved sleep-wake cycle.

    http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/921394859.html


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    One big difference - a coma patient's brain is not atrophied away until most of it is liquid.

    It's the difference between a sore throat, stuffed up nose, and cough from allergies versus a sore throat, stuffed up nose, and cough from a cold; the flu; pnuemonia. They all can look the same, but what is happening in the body, how dangerous they are is very, very different. Different processes, same symptoms (roughly).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Details
    One big difference - a coma patient's brain is not atrophied away until most of it is liquid.

    It's the difference between a sore throat, stuffed up nose, and cough from allergies versus a sore throat, stuffed up nose, and cough from a cold; the flu; pnuemonia. They all can look the same, but what is happening in the body, how dangerous they are is very, very different. Different processes, same symptoms (roughly).
    Hey! Great explanation!! Thanks.....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Detroit 'Burb
    Posts
    2,832

    Review

    Doctors who weren't on the payroll for this political euthanasia project (Terri Schiavo) kept repeating that she was NOT in a PVS, some of whom had personally examined her and some who'd watched video's. Those of us who also saw the video's know "seeing is believing". She was answering her dad, right after the feeding tube was removed for the last time. I saw and heard her myself, no mistake. You don't even have to be a professional to get it.

    There's been corruption in all fields, always, "rotten apples in every barrel", and we just need to use some common sense, like the kid in "The Emporer's New Clothes", a kid who wasn't old enough to know about any "party line", just blurted out the whole darned truth, the Emporer wasn't wearing any. He'd been hoodwinked by weavers who claimed the cloth was so fine it was invisible to all but the most astute. He didn't want to admit to inferiority, so he pretended he could see cloth.

    Do you remember that it took a lot longer to get this "medical examiner's report" than they'd promised? Think what you want, but I suspect they were dickering about the price, to say her brain was atrophied and liquified.

    To keep from maybe getting sued, we have to always say, "Just my opinion", so there's that. Do we want to be suckers just because it's "politically correct", as in the Emporer story? Your choice.

    See the earlier definition of PVS someone gave about, about PVS often following a coma, the person retains their normal sleep pattern, evidently hears and processes everything though unable to communicate well enough or at all. Honest doctors said there's new descriptions, and Terri wasn't in the lowest one, may even have been at 3, that they'd have to do testing to find out exactly. The euthanasia ones were using outdated criteria, and expect us to fall for it too.

    We just do not have the right to decide on someone else's quality of life. Doctors may think they do, according to a TV show I saw recently, but have to use some drug that's more painful than a detectable one. He was convicted of 2nd degree, I think. I believe that's maybe "manslaughter".

    So many couples kill each other, you wouldn't think they'd ever leave it up to the spouse, or families either, who just can't really know. They may not be able to afford care or may not want to be bothered, so they'd say he or she wouldn't want to live like this. I don't claim to know what should be done but I do think people rationalize too much and there should be safeguards. I'm on some mailing list-news alerts about this sort of thing since Terri's case, and believe there've been several who've recovered from PVS. And there's always a first time for everything. If I'm mistaken and it hasn't been happening, we have no way of knowing it couldn't ever happen. We're learning new ways to be healthier and someone just might recover.

    Terri clearly said no, when her dad asked did her leg hurt, and one or two other things. Probably they jerked the tube out w/out anesthetic and that was hurting, plus she probably knew it was her life source. I firmly believe she would have recovered. Several people took 20 yrs, and I believe it was said they had PVS. The articles were speculating Terri might do the same. I may have printed out some, but as you might guess I have such a stack of printouts it'd take too long to find them. I think minds are already made up anyway and I'd be wasting my time and effort.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,763
    so the autopsy on her was completely wrong?

    I guess people are entitled to believe what they want to believe.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1
    Doctors who weren't on the payroll for this political euthanasia project (Terri Schiavo) kept repeating that she was NOT in a PVS, some of whom had personally examined her and some who'd watched video's. Those of us who also saw the video's know "seeing is believing". She was answering her dad, right after the feeding tube was removed for the last time. I saw and heard her myself, no mistake. You don't even have to be a professional to get it.

    There's been corruption in all fields, always, "rotten apples in every barrel", and we just need to use some common sense, like the kid in "The Emporer's New Clothes", a kid who wasn't old enough to know about any "party line", just blurted out the whole darned truth, the Emporer wasn't wearing any. He'd been hoodwinked by weavers who claimed the cloth was so fine it was invisible to all but the most astute. He didn't want to admit to inferiority, so he pretended he could see cloth.

    Do you remember that it took a lot longer to get this "medical examiner's report" than they'd promised? Think what you want, but I suspect they were dickering about the price, to say her brain was atrophied and liquified.

    To keep from maybe getting sued, we have to always say, "Just my opinion", so there's that. Do we want to be suckers just because it's "politically correct", as in the Emporer story? Your choice.

    See the earlier definition of PVS someone gave about, about PVS often following a coma, the person retains their normal sleep pattern, evidently hears and processes everything though unable to communicate well enough or at all. Honest doctors said there's new descriptions, and Terri wasn't in the lowest one, may even have been at 3, that they'd have to do testing to find out exactly. The euthanasia ones were using outdated criteria, and expect us to fall for it too.

    We just do not have the right to decide on someone else's quality of life. Doctors may think they do, according to a TV show I saw recently, but have to use some drug that's more painful than a detectable one. He was convicted of 2nd degree, I think. I believe that's maybe "manslaughter".

    So many couples kill each other, you wouldn't think they'd ever leave it up to the spouse, or families either, who just can't really know. They may not be able to afford care or may not want to be bothered, so they'd say he or she wouldn't want to live like this. I don't claim to know what should be done but I do think people rationalize too much and there should be safeguards. I'm on some mailing list-news alerts about this sort of thing since Terri's case, and believe there've been several who've recovered from PVS. And there's always a first time for everything. If I'm mistaken and it hasn't been happening, we have no way of knowing it couldn't ever happen. We're learning new ways to be healthier and someone just might recover.

    Terri clearly said no, when her dad asked did her leg hurt, and one or two other things. Probably they jerked the tube out w/out anesthetic and that was hurting, plus she probably knew it was her life source. I firmly believe she would have recovered. Several people took 20 yrs, and I believe it was said they had PVS. The articles were speculating Terri might do the same. I may have printed out some, but as you might guess I have such a stack of printouts it'd take too long to find them. I think minds are already made up anyway and I'd be wasting my time and effort.
    Sorry, but I thought this thread ws about an Italian man who awakened from a coma? Which led to discussion about the difference between PVS and coma? There are whole bunches of Terri Schiavo threads out there, please go ressurect one if you want to rehash all of this over again. Like the case itself, Terri's parents and their supports just WILL NOT LET THIS GO, and those of us who just want her to rest in peace have to keep listening to it. Please, post your opinion on what happened to Terri Schaivo on a thread dedicated to that topic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM
  2. Zsa Zsa Gabor Falls Into a Coma
    By Softail in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 06:29 PM
  3. Mother Left in Coma After Using Hair Dye???
    By Chewy in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 11:47 AM
  4. Woman Wakes Up From Coma to Find Out She's A New Mom
    By wildTrose in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 10:35 AM
  5. Boy, 5, to the rescue as dad falls into coma
    By PlasmaFiend024 in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 12:16 AM