1004 users online (235 members and 769 guests)  

Websleuths News

Canada - Casto Filazzola, 75, Toronto, 3 March 2016

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...sing-1.3521112
    casto-filazzola.jpg
    Casto Filazzola was last seen at 7:45 a.m. Sunday in the Dundas Street West and Crawford Street area.

Police have released the following description of Filazzola:

Six feet one inches tall.
    170 pounds.
    Grey/brown straight shoulder-length hair.
    Brown eyes.
    A short beard.
    Possibly wearing a grey spring hooded jacket or a three-quarter length green winter jacket.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/05...o-filazzola-75

Anyone who has seen Filazzola should call police at 416-808-1400 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Filazzola's family members, Alzheimer Society of Toronto CEO Cathy Barrick and Det. Jessica McInnis are scheduled to make a public appeal Tuesday morning at 11 a.m.

ACTIVE SEARCH.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/04/04/to...an-alzheimers/

Toronto police step up search for missing man with Alzheimer's

Last Updated Apr 5, 2016 at 12:28 pm EDT

At a news conference on Tuesday, the man’s daughters issued a public plea for help.

They said it’s out of character for him to wander off from his home.
    “This is not like him, he doesn’t usually leave his home ever, so we’re really worried,” one of his daughters said.

Filazzola speaks fluent English but also speaks Italian.

“We’re just worried because he does need his medication, and he’s definitely not dressed for the weather,” his family said.

Filazzola doesn’t have any money or identification with him.

Police are telling people to check their cars, their sheds or under their decks.
    rbbm.
    Last edited by dotr; 04-05-2016 at 01:03 PM.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/04/05/u-...hy-not-canada/

U.S. has Silver Alert for missing seniors -- why not Canada?

We’ve heard of the Amber Alert – a Canada-wide system that goes into effect whenever a child goes missing.

But how about a Silver Alert? Currently only in place in 36 U.S. states, the alarm is sounded whenever a senior, or someone with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, goes missing.
    snip>

On Tuesday, the same day Filazzola’s family pleaded for help, the Silver Alert system was used to track down two missing seniors in West Virginia.

In 2013, the Alzheimer Society of Ontario said that three out of five people with dementia go missing at some point, often without warning.

I saw the daughters on TV asking for any information about their dad. It was heartbreaking. I hope they are looking at where homeless people are. I do hope someone took him under their wing and he's warm and safe.

The Silver Alert is such a wonderful tool, hopefully it's use (or something similar) is adopted in Canada. The elderly, especially those with dementia/cognitive impairment, are SO vulnerable. My heart always breaks when I see families who are missing a loved one in these circumstances!

I hope every person who hears the appeal looks on their property, as likely as it is that he's hidden in a shed or a garage, it's also just as likely he laid down in the grass or a sidewalk if he became cold and tired. It's way too cold out there!
    All posts from me are MY OPINION ONLY

I'm assuming they've checked hospital and such for "John Does" or even someone confused who matches his description who was brought in and possibly admitted under a different name. Shelters would be another possibility.

I apologize that that I haven't properly read all of the links yet, but do we know his level of impairment?

Located!!

http://www.cp24.com/news/missing-man...land-1.2846131

Missing man suffering from Alzheimer’s found at old family cottage in Midland
    “They literally started banging on doors where he used to have a family cottage and he answered. We are thrilled,” Det. Jessica McInnis told CP24 on Tuesday.

Filazzolla’s daughter Rosanna told CP24 that her father did not have any money on him and likely hitchhiked to the cottage.

Though the cottage is no longer owned by the family, Rosanna Filazzolla said her father was the one who first built it and likely headed there because it was familiar to him.

“With Alzheimer’s and dementia they just regress, right? He knew what he was doing,” she said.

Filazzolla was taken to hospital to be treated for minor dehydration but is otherwise fine.

“I am just happy he is alive and happy he is safe,” Rosanna Filazzolla said. “I had feared the worst.”

Wow, so glad it turned out this way, in this cold it was not looking promising,imo.
    Goes to show you how far a person can travel when they have something set in their mind, quite sweet that he went to the old cottage he helped build- amazing really that Mr Filazzola hitch-hiked there!