LA - Will Smith, 34, retired New Orleans Saints, dies in road rage, New Orleans, 9 April 2016 *new trial 2023*

PastTense

Reaction score
Will Smith, the former Saints defensive end, was killed and a woman was wounded in a late-night shooting in New Orleans on Saturday (April 9), according to two law enforcement sources and a Saints source with direct knowledge of the incident. He was 34.

The double shooting took place around 11:29 p.m., near the intersection of Sophie Wright and Felicity streets in the Lower Garden District, NOPD said. Police, who has not officially identified the fatal victim as Smith, said the victim and his wife were traveling eastbound on Sophie Wright Place when their Mercedes Benz SUV was rear-ended by a Hummer H2. The collision caused the Smith's vehicle to hit a Chevrolet Impala traveling along the same street.

Smith and the driver of the Hummer "exchanged words, at which time the driver of the Hummer produced a handgun and shot the male victim multiple times and his 34-year-old wife twice in the right leg," said NOPD spokesman Juan Barnes.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/04/ex-saints_will_smith_shot_to_d.html

Police said the 30-year-old driver of the Hummer is in custody and being interviewed by investigators.

New Orleans Saints former defensive end Will Smith is killed and his wife injured in road rage attack after driver rear-ended him then gunned him down during an altercation over the accident

Former New Orleans defensive end Will Smith, 34, was shot and killed in a road rage attack last night

Smith was rear-ended by the driver of a Hummer, which caused Smith's Mercedes Benz SUV to hit the car in front of him

The football player got out of his car and confronted the other driver

Cardell Hayes, the 28-year-old Hummer driver, then allegedly pulled out a gun and shot Smith to death

Smith was discovered by police slumped over the steering wheel of his car

His wife was transported to a nearby hospital for two gunshots to the leg

Hayes has been booked into jail on second degree murder charges

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wife-shot-road-rage-attack.html#ixzz45RDIh3uT

Former NFL player Will Smith shot to death in New Orleans
Suspect charged with second-degree murder
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...layer-will-smith-shot-to-death-in-new-orleans

attachment.php

"NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Former New Orleans Saints player Will Smith was shot and killed in a case of road rage by a man who had rear-ended his car, police said Sunday."

Attachments

• GettyImages-51559875_1460306223662_35899985_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
    GettyImages-51559875_1460306223662_35899985_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 310
Just saw this cross my FB feed. Very sad. Seems like he didn't even know his killer. Just an accident turned beef. Some of the reports I read stated that they exchanged words after the traffic accident. I am wondering if the man who shot him will try to claim he was in fear of his life and defending himself against perceived threat.

Slain Saints Player Will Smith Had Dinner With Cop Sued by His Alleged Killer

The suspect charged with fatally shooting New Orleans Saints defensive end Will Smith once sued a retired police officer, who had dinner with Smith shortly before he was shot Saturday night, authorities said.

The officer, retired Capt. William Ceravolo, was not on the scene of the crash, and police are investigating whether Smith's dinner companion played a part in the motive for the shooting, but investigators "don't have any info that links the incidents at this time," New Orleans police spokesman Tyler A. Gamble told NBC News.

Slain Saints Player Will Smith Had Dinner With Cop Sued by His Alleged Killer

The suspect charged with fatally shooting New Orleans Saints defensive end Will Smith once sued a retired police officer, who had dinner with Smith shortly before he was shot Saturday night, authorities said.

The officer, retired Capt. William Ceravolo, was not on the scene of the crash, and police are investigating whether Smith's dinner companion played a part in the motive for the shooting, but investigators "don't have any info that links the incidents at this time," New Orleans police spokesman Tyler A. Gamble told NBC News.

It's likely not related, but what a strange coincidence.

The coincidences keep piling up. Hayes used to work for the Saints:
http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/...for-saints-shooting-may-not-have-been-random/
This also provides information with the Hayes' lawyer saying that he had been the one to call the cops beforehand and that he had been rear-ended:
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/04/in_will_smith_killing_my_clien.html
This sort of reminds me of the Tammy Meyers case with how needlessly chasing people down in your vehicle while armed tends to not end well.

New Orleans Saints former defensive end Will Smith is killed and his wife injured in road rage attack after driver rear-ended him then gunned him down during an altercation over the accident

Former New Orleans defensive end Will Smith, 34, was shot and killed in a road rage attack last night

Smith was rear-ended by the driver of a Hummer, which caused Smith's Mercedes Benz SUV to hit the car in front of him

The football player got out of his car and confronted the other driver

Cardell Hayes, the 28-year-old Hummer driver, then allegedly pulled out a gun and shot Smith to death

Smith was discovered by police slumped over the steering wheel of his car

His wife was transported to a nearby hospital for two gunshots to the leg

Hayes has been booked into jail on second degree murder charges

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wife-shot-road-rage-attack.html#ixzz45RDIh3uT

bbm

If Smith was out of the car confronting the other driver, how was he found slumped over his steering wheel? And how did his wife get hit, was she out of the car too?

I hope she's able to speak to police. Hayes' story sounds mighty fishy.

bbm

If Smith was out of the car confronting the other driver, how was he found slumped over his steering wheel? And how did his wife get hit, was she out of the car too?

I think the report of Smith being the one to get out of the car and confront Hayes may be misreported.It is just my speculation but I think Hayes may be the one to exit his car and confront Smith in his car.
Hayes may have fired into Smith's car hitting Smith and wounding his wife in the leg.Unless the report of Smith slumped over the steering wheel is false.

Not a sport fan, saw the headline, clicked. As I am reading it it was like man this is really bizaire story!! I think there is much to come - too bizaire

Hayes is not guilty of murder, Fuller said. "The story that's real is different from the story that's being put out there," he said.---------

Id say he was having quite an evening - this Hayes character. Get your car rear ended, and then smash up the front end of your car that just got slammed in the rear. Poor vehicle. Geeezz. Wonder how the middle of the car is!! Thats quite a night!!.

Hayes pleaded guilty in 2014 to one count each of possessing an illegal weapon and possessing drug paraphernalia.

The collision caused the Smith's vehicle to hit a Chevrolet Impala traveling along the same street.

The gun he had was legal

following a hit-and-run driver who had rear-ended his Humvee and sped off. Fuller wouldn't say whether Hayes identified the Mercedes as that vehicle.

Hayes called 911 after he was hit and convinced a witness who was about to leave to remain

owns a towing business and is raising his 5-year-old son.

It gets crazier - apparently Smith knew the people in the Impala!!!

Lawyer is calling for tox screenings - he said "folks" at scene were drunk or under the influence of something

he and several other NFL players used a weight-loss product called StarCaps, and was suspended

Smith took an active role in trying to improve children's lives, establishing a foundation called, Where There's A Will, There's A Way

And I agree with poster - why on earth would you put a body back in front seat? Sounds more like Hayes got out of his car and went to his window and started shooting. But if your that close why would the lady only be shot in the legs- you just murdered someone. AM I missing something here - its so "makes no sense"

Throw in the cop , the lawsuit, then going out for a bite to eat. The instagram or whatever your having a great night with someone you had just sued?

Fuller refused to say who hit which car first ??????

I def think someone has some stuff "off"

Interview with lawyer here :
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/crime/15445569-125/will-smith-former-saint-dies-after-shooting-in-new-orleans

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/...smith-gunned-down-in-case-of-road-rage-041116

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/crime/15445569-125/will-smith-former-saint-dies-after-shooting-in-new-orleans

300x300.jpg

More info added here - sorry computer doing something weird stuff added info is at bottom

Not a sport fan, saw the headline, clicked. As I am reading it it was like man this is really bizaire story!! I think there is much to come - too bizaire

Hayes is not guilty of murder, Fuller said. "The story that's real is different from the story that's being put out there," he said.---------

Id say he was having quite an evening - this Hayes character. Get your car rear ended, and then smash up the front end of your car that just got slammed in the rear. Poor vehicle. Geeezz. Wonder how the middle of the car is!! Thats quite a night!!.

Hayes pleaded guilty in 2014 to one count each of possessing an illegal weapon and possessing drug paraphernalia.

The collision caused the Smith's vehicle to hit a Chevrolet Impala traveling along the same street.

The gun he had was legal

following a hit-and-run driver who had rear-ended his Humvee and sped off. Fuller wouldn't say whether Hayes identified the Mercedes as that vehicle.

Hayes called 911 after he was hit and convinced a witness who was about to leave to remain

owns a towing business and is raising his 5-year-old son.

he and several other NFL players used a weight-loss product called StarCaps,

Smith took an active role in trying to improve children's lives, establishing a foundation called, Where There's A Will, There's A Way

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/s...ad-rage-041116

300x300.jpg

computer freaked lost a link

Father suffered with mental issues. Police very guarded in presser about metnal state at interview.

After learning some it kinda sounds to me like smith hit the hummer and fled and he was trying to get liscense and rear ended him. Makes me think that SMith slammed on breaks to mess with him and that is when the Hummer hit

Last edited by CARIIS; Today at 02:13 AM.​

I think the report of Smith being the one to get out of the car and confront Hayes may be misreported.It is just my speculation but I think Hayes may be the one to exit his car and confront Smith in his car.
Hayes may have fired into Smith's car hitting Smith and wounding his wife in the leg.Unless the report of Smith slumped over the steering wheel is false.

Yes, if these reports are correct, it would appear that Smith either never left the car or got back into the car once the suspect starting shooting.
"Smith was slumped over the steering wheel of his vehicle, which appeared to have a gunshot hole in the windshield."
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/04/ex-saints_will_smith_shot_to_d.html

Just saw this cross my FB feed. Very sad. Seems like he didn't even know his killer. Just an accident turned beef. Some of the reports I read stated that they exchanged words after the traffic accident. I am wondering if the man who shot him will try to claim he was in fear of his life and defending himself against perceived threat.

I am not at all convinced that the suspect didn't know the victim.

"Although road rage was initially mentioned by police as a possible motive for the shooting, police also focused their attention on whether Hayes, who had worked security for the Saints at the time Smith was playing for the team, might have borne a grudge against Smith. Hayes’s father was shot to death by police in 2005 and his lawsuit against the department was settled for an undisclosed sum. A photo taken Saturday night showed Smith with former Saints running back Pierre Thomas and one of the officers named in the lawsuit. Fuller, though, says Hayes was not acquainted with Smith."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...urder-leaves-drew-brees-new-orleans-in-shock/

Seems to be quite a few coincidences here. The suspect worked security for victim's football team when victim was playing on the team. Then victim was having dinner with a police officer that was involved in the incident with suspect's father being shot.

bbm

Perhaps he got back in his car after seeing the exchange becoming too heated or so. As always will wait for more details.

Perhaps he got back in his car after seeing the exchange becoming too heated or so. As always will wait for more details.

Victim was shot in the back (and torso). So quite possibly he was trying to get back into the car after he saw the gun when suspect shot him.

Maybe Hummer dude was jealous of Sm*th? One is a pro-NFL former star and the Hummer dude was a wanna' be!

How can Hummer Dude's gun be legal with his previous infractions (poster CARRIS noted it was legal in previous posts here)? He was previously arrested for possession of an illegal firearm and a controlled substance. He can have a legal gun after that? Really?

Most State's laws note that if you rear-end a vehicle, you are at fault--no questions asked. Hummer dude rear-ended the Mercedes.

Hummer dude has to shoot the wife....not once; but twice? Seriously?

And of course we will be subjected to how nice a boy Hummer dude is--why aren't they showing his pics from 5th grade? (Insert sarcasm)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back