Uber-like service for women only

I think it's a great idea. Why should/would it be illegal?

From the above link:

"A new Boston-area startup hopes to be a new on-demand ride service that will only offer rides to women, trans women, and children of any gender under 13."

Snip

"The company says that it is focusing on safety and will only employ female drivers, who will have background checks run by Safer Places. All prospective drivers must also pass Massachusetts’ Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI), according to TechCrunch.

By contrast, Uber has been sued multiple times by female passengers who said they were sexually assaulted by their male drivers."

Snip

"While some critics have raised the question of sex discrimination as a possible legal barrier to Chariot for Women’s expansion, the firm’s lawyer, Chase Liu, said this would not be an issue.

"Courts have long held that hiring on the basis of sex is permissible where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification in the context of serving privacy interests," he told the Worcester Telegram & Gazette. "At stake here is more than just privacy—safety and security are also at issue. As such, we are confident that our hiring of women drivers constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification, where doing so is necessary to uphold the privacy, safety and security of our drives and riders.""

I'm confused with the owners explanation for why they are starting this company that only uses female drivers. The husband talks about being scared while giving a ride to a male passenger and how he felt about how a female driver in that situation would handle it.

Then he talks about his wife wanting to drive but was too scared.

Is this about female riders safety or about female drivers safety? What happens if a crazy female passenger assaults the female driver? Can the driver sue the company saying that they felt they had an expectation of safety?

Can an Uber like company be started that only allows female passengers with both male and female drivers? That would make it safer for both male and female employee's using this logic.

JMO

I can't believe any business would be allowed to discriminate against any demographic based on their perception that some in that demographic might be dangerous.

Can I open a store & only serve people I judge to be safe?

This world has gone mad. You can't even start your own business your own way for fear of "discriminating" or hurting someone's feelings. It's getting ridiculous. IMO, of course.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Can I open a store & only serve people I judge to be safe?
You should have the choice. In the past, I have seen signs in businesses saying "we have the right to refuse service to anyone." I'm guessing those signs are illegal now. Smh.

ffa9a2b6b374661d5fb93d51ef50b631.jpg
a870c0c2c329b537195a09caf27c0b2a.jpg
25c9dfcf30aebb6f7f990948211638ff.jpg

I think a woman should have the right to request a female driver. That being said, I can't believe the business can refuse to hire men or pick them up.

I think a woman should have the right to request a female driver. That being said, I can't believe the business can refuse to hire men or pick them up.

But then she'd be "discriminating" against men, right?

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-can-hooters-hire-only-women-2015-9
"Hooters argued BFOQ [bona fide occupational qualification]*under essence of the business," David Sherwyn, a law professor at*Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration, told Business Insider.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act lets companies*discriminate on the basis of "religion, sex, or national origin in those instances where religion, sex, or national origin is a bona fide occupational qualification reasonably*necessary to the normal operation of the particular business or enterprise."

So that's federal law... this article says it may be illegal under the state laws of Massachusetts.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...experts-say/QP5fYbQfvXUnKcEs0BqhEP/story.html

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Right. She is not running a business so she can discriminate all she wants.
I think everyone has a right to feel safe, and make their customers feel safe, business owners included. Again MOO, but it's nuts to spend money to build a business only to have someone else tell you how to run it. We have a women only health center and a couple women only gyms in my city. No issues. Also a coed gym with women only yoga classes. Again, I'm not here to argue, as it's a matter of opinion. I'm glad we all have different views, or this would be a very boring planet! 😉

There are legitimate and illegitimate forms of discrimination, as enshrined in law. Men cannot, for instance, expect to pledge successfully in a sorority. Cass Sunstein, among others, has written extensively on legitimate and illegitimate forms of discrimination. I'm afraid that things aren't entirely black and white (ahem).

You should have the choice. In the past, I have seen signs in businesses saying "we have the right to refuse service to anyone." I'm guessing those signs are illegal now. Smh.

ffa9a2b6b374661d5fb93d51ef50b631.jpg
a870c0c2c329b537195a09caf27c0b2a.jpg
25c9dfcf30aebb6f7f990948211638ff.jpg

The refusal of service can't be based on a persons race. That's what the civil rights movement was/is all about.

Just keeping the right to refuse service to anyone has limits.

Discrimination maybe? Whats next a whites only Uber service? That will employ only white drivers and only provide service to white customers. But it wouldn’t be discrimination against black people. It would only be about the safety of white people who don’t feel safe being in the same vehicle with a black person.:facepalm:

This plan will almost certainly be declared unconstitutional with the first lawsuit.

The sad thing is that, in this day and age anybody would even think a lame-brain plan like this would be acceptable. The mere idea of something like this, puts the country back 60 years.

We had this in my hometown in Sweden about 20 or so years ago. There were hardly any rapes in this town.
They were forced to give up the business due to "sexism" and wohoo... RAPEs came back. Disgusted by this. Of course there should be a women only taxi

I find it amusing how some of us can be civil and say how it's our opinion only and we value all opinions, yet others call those opposing opinions "lame brained" and "sad".. Not sure why I'm surprised. And yes, I'm aware that calling us "lame brained" is your opinion. Just a bummer that it has to devolve to what is, in effect, name calling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back